Highlighted

Adobe Reader and Adobe Pro - Pro takes over

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have machines that have both Acrobat Pro and Reader installed.  Only some users have licences for Pro and only those are set to use Pro as default PDF application.

Recently a whole bunch of machines where the Reader was set as the default app have forced the users to an Adobe sign in page and I can't stop it.

Windows still has Reader as the default app so why is Pro kicking in like this.

Anyone know how to resolve this without me having to uninstall Pro on these machines (which then breaks my desktop image standard)

John

Topics

Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Reader and Adobe Pro - Pro takes over

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have machines that have both Acrobat Pro and Reader installed.  Only some users have licences for Pro and only those are set to use Pro as default PDF application.

Recently a whole bunch of machines where the Reader was set as the default app have forced the users to an Adobe sign in page and I can't stop it.

Windows still has Reader as the default app so why is Pro kicking in like this.

Anyone know how to resolve this without me having to uninstall Pro on these machines (which then breaks my desktop image standard)

John

Topics

Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure Pro is "kicking in"? Signing in is also necessary for Reader.

However... if Pro is installed it must be licensed. It has many system changes, not just an app: shell extensions, preview engine, Office add-ons, printer driver... I don't see that you can run the system with Pro not licensed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well - the desktops in question have all been running since I imaged them all in October and they were all running fine, using the Reader as the default (as set in the OS) - I've never had to sign in to use Reader.  The machines have Reader set as the default app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all of a sudden about two weeks ago i started getting reports from users about the sign in appearing...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any resolution on this? It's very annoying.

I use multiple machines and as I can only have 2 licensed at the same time I want to have reader as the default on machines which are not normally logged in.

BTW - it is not nessecary to sign in to use Reader.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got no joy whatsover from Adobe - after many calls and emails trying to explain the issue they said it was a Reader issue and that they dont support Reader !!!  I have had to remove Acrobat DC from the machines where this was happening which means i have to reinstal it again if a user who has a licence for it ends up using it (rather than it just sitting domant and users can sign in where appropriate - super annoying).

On my Terminal Server - well thats a whole different issue and when it happens on there I have to end up buying a licence for a user who doesn't need it !!  ...am i missing something here ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines