• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC - Automatic Update, does it require admin rights?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all and Happy new Year,

We have Adobe Reader DC installed across 4000+ machines in our estate, we would like to be able to turn on automatic updates for the product but during testing have found that it requires admin rights to do the install which none of our users have - are admin rights required?

Just need some clarification from Adobe staff on this.

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Thanks Leo - I have PM'd you the log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admin credentials are not required for automatic updates. You might see UAC with credentials request in manual check for updates workflow.

If you experience issues please collect and send me updater log file in the private message as detailed here-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/enterprise-teams/adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-not-updating/td-p/10832145

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response @LeoAdobeX.  Originally I created the Adobe Reader DC package with updates turned off using the customization wizard, in order to enable automatic updates again for clients I removed the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I then ran the scheduled task manually and got the notification in the system tray, when I clicked the notification in the system tray it prompted UAC and asked for credentials?

Is this the behaviour I should expect or is there some other registry values I need to remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

swatto,

I can help if you provide proper Updater log file. Instructions can be found here-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/enterprise-teams/adobe-acrobat-reader-dc-not-updating/td-p/10832145

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leo - I have PM'd you the log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leo,

can you contact me regarding similar questions for adobe reader dc and adobe acrobat updates in an enterprise setting.   Thanks.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leo,

Would you be able to contact me, I have similar questions regarding adobe reader and acrobat updates.   Thanks.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeremy,

You can post your questions here or send me private message.

And, as I mentioned previously-

If you experience issues please collect and send me updater log file(s) in the private message as detailed here-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Leo, thanks for you help. Updates will install automatically and silently even if no one is logged in.  However, a manual update check (Help -> Check for updates) requires admin rights.  Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines