• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC (French) - not running silently (checked in customization wiz)

Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

1. I enabled a Software Installation GPO for distribution of Adobe DC (French version) that contains Patched latest ReaderDC.

2. GPO perfectly applies to the computer, but installation not happens.

3. For troubleshooting I executed

"msiexec.exe /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroRead.mst"

the result:

very first window waits for clicking Install button.

Then the package is installed without problem and all customizations aplies.

4. Digged in a bit and found in Adobe Customization Wiz doc:

Installing interactivity options

Note: Do not run in silent mode if you need to install the product in a non-English language that matches the OS language. See the language section below.

By default, the installation process displays the installation screens to the end user. However, you can control this behavior by choosing one of the following:

:black_medium_small_square: Interactively (with full interface): Displays all installation screens.

:black_medium_small_square: Unattended (with no user interaction, only a progress bar): Suppresses all installation screens and displays only a progress bar when running the installer. It is advisable to choose Reboot without prompt or Suppress reboot in the Reboot section when selecting this option. The setup.ini command line will be set to /spb.

:black_medium_small_square: Silently (no interface): This feature is not available for Reader and requires specifying a serial number. Suppresses all installation screens and runs the installer with no user interface. It is advisable to choose Reboot without prompt or Suppress reboot in the Reboot section when selecting this option. The setup.ini command line will be set to /sALL.

After reading that I edited my mst file and saved it with the Unattended instead of Silently.

NOTHING changed. It still asks for clicking Install.

Sure I cannot push this package to users with the install manually condition.

Any suggestion? where if not here ?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

If you are using the Command Line install with an MST here are some examples from the ETK:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#command-line-examples

The basic MSI switches that can be used are also documented in the ETK to from that the following link but here is an excerpt:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#installing-with-an-mst

MSI switcheshttp://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#msi-switches

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The check boxes in the Adobe Customization Wizard are for using Setup.exe and not the MSI file at the command line.  If you are using the MSI file with the MST transform file the please use the Microsoft documented switch "/q" and it's variants that are listed in the ETK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

by the way how to use setup.exe with customization wizard? There is an option OPEN package - that is MSI.

EXE is not valid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Setup.exe simply executes the MSI, and MST under the hood.  There are specific items configured for the Setup.exe scenario but it's not really that much.  Most of the modifications are between the MSI and MST files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I am lost now...

you say:

"The check boxes in the Adobe Customization Wizard are for using Setup.exe and not the MSI file at the command line.  If you are using the MSI file with the MST transform file the please use the Microsoft documented switch "/q" and it's variants that are listed in the ETK."

BUT only MSI could be opened in Customization Wizard.

Please clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key word in my last post is "Most".  Most is not all.  The settings that are used by the Setup.exe are in the Installation Options panel's section "Run Installation".  That is about it.  Pretty much the rest is MSI and MST.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let me start over again (may be something was not clear for you from my explanation)...

1.open MSI in Customization Wizard. Select needed settings. Generate .mst file.

Run the msiexec.exe for testing MSI and MST. Everything what was selected in Wizard works, beside the silent option selected.

2. Found

Adobe Installation option.JPG

I am using French version of Adobe... It mentions "do not run in silent mode..." So I tried Unattended... and it has no effect.

Then your NOTE about Run Installation options affecting Setup.exe and not MSI.

But setup is not the file to be used in GPO. When using Software installation GPO only MSI (package) could be selected (the same as Customization Wiz).

From all the above does it mean that Silent and Unattended are serving for nothing when using GPO... Don't think so... There are blogs where people successfully using Adobe Cust Wiz for deploying MSI by GPO and Silent works. In my screenshot it is mentioned that a non English ver will not work with Silent selected.

Unattended not mentioned. I am in Quebec Canada... Does it mean that there is no solution for French Version Silent deployment. What people are doing in Europe (french speaking countries).

What you can suggest? or I am missing something?

Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using the Command Line install with an MST here are some examples from the ETK:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#command-line-examples

The basic MSI switches that can be used are also documented in the ETK to from that the following link but here is an excerpt:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#installing-with-an-mst

MSI switcheshttp://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/cmdline.html#msi-switches

For Microsoft documentation, see  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa367988.

CommandDescription
{ /?| /h}Displays the Windows Installer version and copyright information.
/aApplies the administrative installation option.
/f

For product repair. Enables one or more of the command-line options below:

• p: Reinstalls only if file is missing.
  • o: Reinstalls if file is missing or if an older version is installed.
  • e: Reinstalls if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed.
  • d: Reinstalls if file is missing or a different version is installed.
  • c: Reinstalls if file is missing or the stored checksum does not match the calculated value.
  • a: Forces all files to be reinstalled.
  • u: Rewrite all required user-specific registry entries.
  • m: Rewrites all required computer-specific registry entries.
  • s: Overwrites all existing shortcuts.
  • v: Runs from source and re-caches the local package
/gIdentifies the language. Syntax: /g LanguageID
/iInstalls or configures a product.
/jAdvertises a product. If you want to install the application with elevated privileges, use /jm. Syntax:
  • msiexec /j [{u | m}] Package
  • msiexec {u | m} Package /t TransformList
  • msiexec {u | m} Package /g LanguageID
  • m: Advertises to all users of the computer.
  • u: Advertises to the current user.
/LSpecifies the path to the log file. To include the v option in a log file using the wildcard flag, type /L*v at the command prompt. The Windows Installer log file options can also be used with the uninstall and repair processes. For example, use /L*v to set verbose logging.
  • Syntax: msiexec /L

[+][!]LogFile.txt

• i: Logs status messages.
  • w: Logs nonfatal warnings.
  • e: Logs all error messages.
  • a: Logs startup of actions.
  • r: Logs action-specific records.
  • u: Logs user requests.
  • c: Logs initial user interface parameters.
  • m: Logs out-of-memory.
  • p: Logs terminal properties.
  • v: Logs verbose output. To use v, specify /L*v.
  • +: Appends to existing file.
  • !: Flushes each line to the log.
  • *: Logs all information except for the v option. This is a wildcard.
/pApplies an update.
/qSets the user interface level. /qb+- is not a supported user interface level. The modal box is not displayed if the user cancels the installation.
  • Syntax: msiexec /q{n | b | r | f | n+ | b+ | b-}
  • /qn: Displays no user interface.
  • /qb: Displays a basic user interface.
  • /qr: Displays a reduced user interface with a modal dialog box displayed at installation end.
  • /qf: Displays the full user interface with a modal dialog box displayed at the end.
  • /qn+: Displays no user interface, except for a modal dialog box displayed at the end.
  • /qb+: Displays a basic user interface with a modal dialog box displayed at the end.
  • /qb-: Displays a basic user interface with no modal dialog boxes.
/qbIndicates the user interaction level for this installation.
/tApplies transform to advertised package. Syntax: /t TransformList
/xUninstalls a product.
/yCalls the system API DllRegisterServer to self-register modules passed on the command line.
/zCalls the system API DllUnRegisterServer to unregister modules passed on the command line.
Package CodeSpecifies the globally unique identifier of the Windows Installer package. For Acrobat products, this is the GUID.
PackageNot supported. Specifies the name of the Windows Installer package file

The examples and the available switches should give you the appropriate tools to use in your command line to install in the way that you intend. A very basic unattended install would looks something like this:

msiexec /i <path\AcroPro.msi> TRANSFORMS="AcroPro.mst" /qn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

thank you very much for clarifying...

What is strange that all other changes in wizard perfectly work for MSI...

Sure I tested the package with /qn switches running msiexec from a command prompt and it worked just fine.

The question:

may be you know where to insert these switches when using Sofware installation GPO.

All what I know that you brows for the file (MSI) when in GPMC.

Few topics on deploying and updating ADOBE for Corporate use by GPO are using MSI.

PLEASE help with the right method to use... WHAT other doing?

Is it really because of French version of Adobe? Didn't see complaints for MSI and silent install for English package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines