• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I block a specific mobile device from acquiring a licence?

Explorer ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a weird problem where an iphone (or something purporting to be an iphone) keeps picking up a device licence from our portal. I'm getting sick of deactivating it! Is there a way to block this device permanently?

Seriously, the admin portal needs work. With our company's rather archaic purchasing system, the first we (in IT) know that an installation has happened is when the computer name shows up in the portal. It's nigh on impossible to find out any information from just a device name - particularly if it is unknown to us!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly I'm alone on this (or nobody else is stupid enough to try to manage this).

I've had another one appear today - an Android device. I'm not even sure how Android or iOS devices can pick up a licence from our portal?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chrism27517165 ,

Apologize for delay in response.

Are you using named user licensing because that is the only way any person can log in from android or ios device while using Adobe Mobile apps.

As far as device/serial number licensing is concerned i suspect any user will be able to use the serial number on any of the apps.

~Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rohit,

We have one named user licence and 100+ device licences. The Android device has acquired a device licence, I'm not sure how.

I'll check with the user who has the named licence to see if she's installed on an Android device - though this wouldn't pick up a device licence, would it?

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

A mobile phone or a tablet, IOS or Android can not pick a device license.

The only possible way is if the user sign in using his email address and password(named user licensing) in any mobile apps provided by Adobe.

~Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really good to know, except these keep appearing as having acquired one of our device licences.... Quite why people are naming their PC's or Macs as if they phones or tablets, I'm struggling to understand - but since IOS and Android devices can't acquire one... that has to be it, doesn't it?

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 15.17.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a naming convention confusion in here, these users have indeed named there machines as if these were i-phones and i-pads.

~Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously my sarcasm was too subtle! But, even if (in some weird universe that people intentionally name their computers as iOS and Android devices) that is the case, how would I find out any kind of information about these from the resources at my disposal - besides the fruitless checks on our network and the vpn logs?! I appreciate that our internal audit processes make it harder, but the portal isn't helping me at all here, when all I have to go on is a device name!

Hence my original question - I want to be able to deny a licence to these devices permanently and NOT have to deactivate them every week.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This question is still not answered and I now have 3 (2x Android 1x iOS) devices that are periodically acquiring device licences (and being deactivated by me quickly as soon as I spot them).

I'd also like to know when the advertised changes to the portal are happening (that were supposedly rolling out from mid 2017), because I cant see any changes whatsoever so far, though the lovely fanfare banner telling me that the changes were coming has disappeared. I was hoping this might give me something more to work with than a device name...

It shouldn't be rocket science to have a blacklist of device names that cannot get a licence! Restricting to a specific domain or IP range would be better, or even having our own corporate licence portal on our network. But since I can't even see what IP the device licence was acquired from that's probably the most ridiculous wishful thinking...

Everything's in the cloud now anyway, right? Why would admins need to control licencing at all when Adobe can do it so well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines