• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot set the Arrow / Selection tool as default (Reader DC 2017)

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone able to help?

We're preparing to push out Reader DC 2017 (Version 2017.012.20095) to our users but have found that we're unable to make the Arrow/Text Selection tool stick as the default.

Opening a document, or opening the Application and opening a document both result in the Hand tool being selected.

Previously this behavior could be corrected using the aDefaultSelect registry key (as per Preference Reference for Acrobat and Adobe Reader) but this no longer seems to be the case.

It is hard to believe this is by design...

[Question moved to the Enterprise Deployment (Acrobat and Reader) forum. -Mod.]

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

Thanks for reporting this to us here and i would like to help you solve the concern further.

I Tried to reproduce the scenario at my end but it is not reproducible at my end.

Reader DC always Retains the last used Cursor (Selection or Hand tool) on Relaunch.

Looks like there could be some issue with the installation of Reader DC at your end.

I would request you to Please try to use the cleaner tool  Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  and then restart your system.

Then try to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution 

Let us know if you still experience the issue.

Here is another Forum port  that You can check for your reference: Making the selection tool (rather than hand tool) default in Adobe Reader DC

Let me know if that helps

Thanks

Ayush Jain

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, I had tried all of that before and it didn't help in our case.

What I've found with further testing is when Citrix's VDA software is installed on a workstation (allowing for remote access) it installs "Touch" components which triggers Reader into thinking the device is Touch enabled.

Even with "Touch Mode" set to "never", the behavior of Reader changes and now defaults to using The Hand, rather than The Arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your Reply.

1) So is it like the issue is only when you have the Citrix's VDA software installed on the machine and the Touch component is causing the issue here. ? Did you try on any other machine which doesn't have the Citrix's VDA installed and check if the issue is reproducible there ?

2) Can you please try to uninstall the Citrix VDA once on the machine where you are facing the issue and then check the Reader. You can Install the software again later.

This will help us identify if its Citrix VDA that is causing the issue or its something else ?

Please Let me know further in this.

Thanks

Ayush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ayush,

Correct.

I tried Reader with our customizations (Group Policy, transforms, etc) on a machine with no VDA installed and it worked fine.

I installed Citrix VDA on that machine and Reader started to default to hand.

I uninstalled Citrix VDA from that machine and Reader reverted back.

The problem appears to be when Reader detects that the device has become tablet device (Windows adds "Pen and Touch" and "Tablet PC Settings" to control panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Thanks for confirming on this.

I Tried after installing the Citrix VDA client for Remote access with some predefined configurations that appear during the installation window for it. But i am still unable to reproduce this.

Looks like the settings that you are using at the time of Citrix VDA installation is different from what i choose at my end.

To help replicate the same scenario at my end, Can you please help me with all the configuration options that you use while installing the VDA Client at your workstation.

It would be really helpful if you could send me the snapshot of the VDA installation application window for each tab of configuration that you use. you can email it to me at ajain@adobe.com

Thanks

Ayush Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines