• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to list Adobe updates in Apple Remote Desktop via Unix command?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I use Apple Remote Desktop(ARD) to send the following UNIX command as root:

sudo /usr/sbin/RemoteUpdateManager

to the machines remotely so Remote Update Manager opens and checks for updates, downloads and installed them. This works great!

I'm trying to figure out how to send a command to just show me a list of updates first. I looked at this post:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/packager/using-remote-update-manager.html

Which listed some actions to try but I can't get it to work. I have tried:

sudo /usr/sbin/RemoteUpdateManager --action=list.

I get the following error:

Unrecognized option : --action

Starting the RemoteUpdateManager...

Missing or Incorrect parameters.

Commandline Usage :

RemoteUpdateManager [--proxyUserName=<username> [--proxyPassword=<password>]] [--channelIds=<',' seperated channelIds>] [{-h, -help, --help}]

RemoteUpdateManager must be launched with elevated privileges.

RemoteUpdateManager exiting with Return Code (1)

Does anybody have any idea what command works that I can run to have it list the available updates?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The --action=list parameter does work.

I initially had the same issue as you however I updated RUM and rebooted and then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will give a try and let you know if that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That definitely worked. After copying new RemoteUpdateManager you linked to

I can run this ARD:

sudo /usr/sbin/RemoteUpdateManager --action=list

as root with displaying output it kicks back the list of items available to update.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread looking for info on RUM.  After chatting with Adobe support this is what I've learned.

The current version of CCP includes RUM v1.9.2.46.

The version you link to is RUM v1.9.2.56.  This version is also the one that is available on my Enterprise Dashboard.

(I'm assuming that CCP will be updated soon to include this RUM version)

I found conflicting information about where to install RUM.  Either /usr/local/bin or /usr/sbin

/usr/local/bin/ - according to this adobe help page Use Adobe Remote Update Manager

/usr/sbin/ - according to this PDF that comes with CCP located at /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/CCP/utilities/RemoteUpdateManager/AdobeRemoteUpdateManager.pdf

According to Adobe support it should be /usr/local/bin/

I was also confused why my new CCP packages were not installing RUM in either location.

I tested creating a new package with CCP with the Advanced Config options set to use RUM and our internal AUS.

I didn't select any apps so only the default "Core" components were selected.  I tested installing this package and no RUM was installed.

I then created a new package with CCP and this time selected Adobe Bridge CC with all updates.  I tested installing this package and RUM was successfully installed to /usr/local/bin.  But of course it is not the 1.9.2.56 version so I manually replaced it with the newest version.

It would be nice to see more detail in CCP about what extra parts get installed including their versions.

It would also be nice to be able to install RUM with a basic Core components package so that the package is very small.  But I suppose pushing out the RemoteUpdateManager unix executable to /usr/local/bin is just as easy.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of RUM is included in the new release of Creative Cloud Packager which is out now.

"Before the holiday period we released a new version of Remote Update Manager (RUM) This update allowed for downloading and caching of updates as well as some other features. While we released this as a standalone download the new version will now be included in CCP and all subsequently created packages."

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

Sorry, We are in El Capitan and we are not seeing a /usr/local/bin directory. Did this change in El Cap?

where should we place this RemoteUpdateManager unix file?

We made the mistake of not including this option when we created our install packages and are struggling to get this enabled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines