• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to manage device licenses in the Team VIP

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for the people that currently manage Adobe device licenses in the "edu". By the nature of our current IT services structure, the central IT is responsible for procurement and packaging of the Adobe products. The local IT Admin in most of the cases is responsible for the deployment. We use access control to a location with the built packages for distribution to grant access to the IT admin that will install the device license on the requested computer.

• With the way Adobe is doing this, the new device license appears in the common pool in the VIP portal environment and than it is absolutely impossible to control how this license is activated. If the person who has purchased the license a week or a month ago, and was granted access to the package distribution location decides to install a package on a different device, we have no way to stop it and the person that has purchased the license just now may be too late to the party... and no license is available for him.
  • Our struggle is also with the correlation between the "host name" that we request from the client for the device they plan to use with this license and the record in the VIP portal. Apparently, Adobe parses the "hostname" of the device. It works ok about half the time. When the computer is not managed by an IT professional, the host name could be set as an FQDN  ->  D-134-34-245-12.contoso.edu. When the dynamically assigned IP address is changed, the "host name" is also changed, so the audit is a futile effort and when you have to figure out who has a rogue device and who has a valid one, it is a crap shoot.

Recently I had a conversation with an "expert" in Adobe Support and the guy told me that the new "Shared Device License" option will use a different attribute - a hard drive ID.   It is not a big problem as there is a WMI command "wmic diskdrive get serialnumber" that we can ask the requester to run and give us the output. However, why is it supposed to be so difficult for the Adobe to create an editable field for the VIP portal admins to IDENTIFY the device "School of Carpentry" along with the name or an account number, or both, of the client?  Is this too much to ask?

The point I am trying to make is that if we did have that ability and could dump that data into a CSV file along with all other attributes, we could very easy audit the devices and deactivate the rogue ones to comply with the licensing contract.

Do any of you have similar issues? How do you manage your device licenses?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the same vein.  With the new SDL setup, how do we deactivate a rogue system?  All I can do is export a CSV.  We used to get a list of devices that I could individually deactivate.

I'm not a child; I don't need Badges, Stickers or Gold Stars, I need ANSWERS.
In IT they come to US for answers, WE MUST find them SOMEWHERE! That's YOUR job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines