• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set Adobe as default PDF viewer (Windows 10)

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Looking to see if anyone has come up with a solution for Windows 10 and edge taking over the PDF file association. We've installed Adobe Acrobat Pro on our systems, set the default PDF viewer as Adobe, then for some users it will revert back to Edge. I know that is has to do with registry scanning and Windows seeing that it's changed and tries to fix this for you and reverts it back to Edge again. You use to be able to fix this pretty easily with GPO's but with Windows 10 (from what I read) things have changed quite a bit. I have played around with XML files to fix the association but from what I understand this only works with a new profile on first log on.

Anyone have any solutions, suggestions?

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

This question gets asks all the time and is answered in several places on the forums. The doc is here: Setting the Default PDF Viewer — Enterprise Administration Guide

Those are the only supported (and viable) methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question gets asks all the time and is answered in several places on the forums. The doc is here: Setting the Default PDF Viewer — Enterprise Administration Guide

Those are the only supported (and viable) methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem; the DISM method no longer works (or after 20+ hours of research I'm still missing something), and the GPO method only works with domain joined machines. My professional situation requires Reader to be installed 'before' the machines are domain joined, so the GPO method is not an option for me. If there is any other automated option, I'd really appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be in an ongoing battle with Bill Gates over this issue. I can set Adobe as the default and it usually works for about 2-3 weeks, then one day it seems that something triggers it and I have to repeat this action as many as 6-10 times on one day. It usually seems to happen on a day when I'm doing a lot of pdf signing of docs for a bid package, which is also an intense time crunch day. Windows 10 just continues to scan and change it back in moments after I change it. Then, for some unknown reason it will stick for a few weeks. I have gone so far as to move Edge so that Windows10 can't find it since we can't delete Edge, but then when it switches back it only opens a blank screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Windows 10 "Settings". In the search type "Default" and click on "Choose default apps by file type". Next, scroll down all the way to ".pdf" on the left column. This list is in alphabetical order. Click on the Edge logo on the right side and choose "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". That's all!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to know the same thing. I have tried to call Microsoft and they said, it's an Adobe problem.

My files I save on my devise are so musch easier to locate. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines