• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator "future" backward compatible with AI 10?

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am a complete newbie. I use AI about twice a year when we are putting some figure together for academic type papers.

My hard drive crashed. The new hard drive needed AI installing. We actually had disks for AI 10. I installed AI 10 on the new hard drive assuming this was the version that had been on my old hard drive. When I tried to open my previously saved files, I got an error message saying the files were from a newer AI version (a possibility, we might have a got a free upgrade at some point) and that I needed to save my files using the older (AI 10) version. The files would not actually display the image but the file tab/artboard had the original name of my file on it so I selected save from the drop down menu, gave the file a different name and hit save. When I tried to open the file with AI 10, the file still would not open. Any ideas? The files were eps files if it helps. 

We can sign up for the creative cloud package through the university IT dept.. Any advice from the community about whether these older files would open using the up to date AI?

Thank you very much for any help you provide!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Hi there, 

Yes, the files created in older versions of Adobe apps can be opened and edited in the latest versions, hence you may go ahead and sign up for the latest Adobe apps, you will also get access to multiple new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

diane_2286, Hello.
Is it possible to open an old version (Ai10) file with CC?

Illustrator files can be opened with CC even in older versions, but it seems that the text layout may be corrupted.

This is a Japanese document, but I think this is helpful.

https://blogs.adobe.com/japan/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/AICC2019_Comp_Guide.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, 

Yes, the files created in older versions of Adobe apps can be opened and edited in the latest versions, hence you may go ahead and sign up for the latest Adobe apps, you will also get access to multiple new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines