Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install in folder that doesn't contain the revision (2015.2) - shortcut issue

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm currently preparing updated 2015 CC packages of various Adobe applications for deployment in our enterprise.

I an unfortunately seeing that some of the applications - e.g Animate - are installing in a folder that contains the revision of the application (2015.2) so it ends up installing in e.g. "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate CC 2015.2". That is a problem in our environment as we are using a seperate tool (RES Workspace Manager) to mange the users desktop and shortcuts as I'd then need to update the shortcuts every time we push out an updated revision - in worst case even having to duplicate them so one point to the old revision and another points to the new revision as the path isn't the same.

I've tried to specify the install folder during deployment via the commands below:

msiexec /i "Animate 2015 CC.msi" /qn ADOBEINSTALLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Adobe Animate 2015 CC\" /L*v C:\temp\animate3.log

or

setup.exe --silent --ADOBEINSTALLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Adobe Animate 2015 CC"

However, that will just result in the application being installed in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate 2015 CC\Adobe Animate CC 2015.2" and thereby doesn't solve my problem.

I've checked the MSI file in the build folder, but there doesn't seem to be a reference to e.g. 2015.2.

How can I totally control in which folder my Adobe 2015 CC application is being install in?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Hi Michael,

We currently only have a provision to specify the directory where the application installation occurs and we cannot choose the folder where the sub folders and other metadata is saved after installation. The installed applications would still make their own folders inside the chosen directory and that is currently not an option we can customize.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick and dirty solution could be to create a symbolic link for a folder that doesn't contain the revision as a part of the deployment.

Example:

mklink /J "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate CC 2015" "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate CC 2015.2"

This will mean that "Adobe Animate CC 2015" points to "Adobe Animate CC 2015.2" and I can therefore configure my shortcuts to use the folder without the revision number.

BUT, I would much more like to be able to fully control the installation path in the first place, so question is still valid.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

The Creative Cloud Desktop application gives you an option to customize which folder would you like an application to get installed to.

You have options to either choose to deploy it to the default folder, to a custom folder or to specify the target during deployment.

These options can be accessed on the Creative Cloud Package on the Package details screen under the Package Configuration section. Here is a screenshot of the options you can choose from when creating the installation package:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 11.53.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ankising​

I've tried that, but the end result is unfornutately the same.

If I select the option "Specify directory during deployment" and then install via the msiexec command in my first post or if I select the option "Specify directory" and type in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate 2015 CC\" then the application will still be installed in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Animate 2015 CC\Adobe Animate CC 2015.2" and thereby doesn't solve my problem.

It seems like it's only possible to specify the path, but not the actual installation folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

We currently only have a provision to specify the directory where the application installation occurs and we cannot choose the folder where the sub folders and other metadata is saved after installation. The installed applications would still make their own folders inside the chosen directory and that is currently not an option we can customize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ankising.

Thanks for the reply.

Not what I had hoped for, but now I at least have confirmation for how it's working from Adobe's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines