Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Reader extension in Chrome from automatically opening helpx.adobe.com

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I've built a Windows 10 Enterprise v1709 image for my labs and offices and have run into an issue with the Acrobat Reader extension for Google Chrome.  After the extension has been installed, on the next launch of Chrome, a new tab will automatically appear and open the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-reader-chrome-extension.html​.  Since this is installed as part of an image, this page is appearing for all new users who log in and launch Chrome. 

This is a controlled environment and we require all web browsers to open a company webpage by default for all users.  I've configured this default page on the local installs and through Group Policy using the Chrome .admx templates, but the helpx.adobe.com Tab continues to appear.  I can block the URL in GPO, but the Tab will still open, it just says the page is blocked.

What I would like to do is prevent this new tab from ever opening.  I've searched through the windows registry and file system to try and find where this is coming from but with no luck.  I'm running out of ideas and removing the extension appears to be my only option.  Does anyone know how to prevent this tab from from automatically opening in chrome?

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

There is no longer an Acrobat Reader extension for Chrome, so far as I can see. Google blocked it. There is an Acrobat extension for Chrome, which requires Acrobat.

So, if your users have only the free Acrobat Reader, rather than paid Acrobat, this may be of no use to them. I suggest  you check if it offers functionality your users need. At one time it was essential, but times have changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, I had configured the Reader Extension options in Chrome to disable the option to "Allow Adobe Acrobat for Chrome to send anonymous usage information to Adobe for product improvement purposes".  This is turning itself back on for all new users who log into the system.  How can I permanently disable this for all users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Question moved to the Enterprise Deployment (Acrobat and Reader) forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the solution to be in the chrome extension.

(I'm trying to translate from a dutch version of chrome)

1 Got to: chrome://extensions/

2 Go to "Details" of the adobe extension.

3 Here you see an setting called "Views".

4 Here you see a link called:  "Background page". Click this.

5 In the new popped up screen select in the left pane: "Service workers".

6 In the main field you can see the address: "www.google.com/_/chrome" or nl or any other country you live in.
    Now click "Unregister".

7 Your done. Close all fields and try to startup chrome again. and Tadaa:  No more annoying adobe help tab.

One more thing for the privacy lovers.

Right click on the adobe extension sign in the upper right corner of chrome.
Now select "options".Uncheck: the allow anonymous use of tracking info.
Click: save and your done.

Hope this helps you guys and girls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make this setting via gpo or register? In distributed environments this is not a valid solution unfortunately.

Hope someone could help us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no longer an Acrobat Reader extension for Chrome, so far as I can see. Google blocked it. There is an Acrobat extension for Chrome, which requires Acrobat.

So, if your users have only the free Acrobat Reader, rather than paid Acrobat, this may be of no use to them. I suggest  you check if it offers functionality your users need. At one time it was essential, but times have changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your quick reply,

I'm already using Adobe acrobat extension for Chrome with free Acrobat Reader and it works fine but every time the extension is installed (we use mandatory profiles in a Citrix environment with GPO which install Adobe Acrobat extension every time they login) the chrome browser opens a new tab. This is very annoiyng for users because they have to close the tab and return to their working tab.

Is this not possible than?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely Untrue and not the Answer for this quesion.

Adobe Acrobat and Reader both automatically install the Extension unless configured otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have deleted the registry key that installs the Acrobat extension for all users. Now no more Error is showing on the first start of Chrome. This is not exactly the issue with a new tab opening, but extremely annoying for new users and inappropriate for a business environment. I have no experience yet if updates will reenable it or not.

On 64-bit Windows delete the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Chrome\Extensions\efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj

On 32-bit Windows delete the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been an answer to this posted somewhere? We use non-persistent Citrix desktops and load extensions every time the user connects to a session. We need to suppress this page from loading with every new session. If I enable developer mode I can click on "background page" under inspect views. Here under the Application tab I choose local storage, the chrome extension and change the fte value to true the page will load every time chrome opens. If I change it to false it will not open. Is there a way via a GPO or a registry setting I can force this setting to false so the page will never load?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance anyone will answer this question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manage a similiar non-persistent VMware Horizon environment, and I have the exact same request.  A way to disable this  pop-up for all users, every time they login.  I have the same question:

Is there a way via a GPO or a registry setting I can force this setting to false so the page will never load?

By @Jasonlalanne1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines