• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with the Enterprise version of Adobe Reader 10.1.3

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried deploying the 10.1.3 in the way I successfully deployed 1.1 and 1.2, but kept getting errors about a transform on install. I tried installing the patched MSI without any transforms, but still got the error. Then I tried running the download straight from the enterprise distribution link, but that didn't work either, even on a computer without Adobe Reader installed.

I think there might be something wrong with the enterprise distribution.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Hi joestern,

From what I could get from your observations and findings, I could find the following pointers:

1. Instead of going through the process listed to get the base MSI for creating the AIP (i.e. running the EXE and then stopping the process to get the contents in the programdata folder), you can directly get the 10.1.0 MSI from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/

2. While creating AIPs, please ensure that you use a two step process as below:

a. Create an AIP for the b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should note that I downloaded the version for Windows 7, US English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Release Notes for Reader 10.1.3 it says:

Unlike 8.x and 9.x, 10.x update and patch installers are now cumulative as follows:

• Quarterly updates are always cumulative to the last MSI. For Acrobat, that’s 10.0. For Reader, the last MSI can be identified by any version where the second dot increments such as 10.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lori - I am indeed familiar with the way that 10.x updates are supposed to work. In this case, I followed these steps:

1. I downloaded and ran the enterprise distribution executable, stopped the installation after the files extracted, and found the source files in a subfolder within my c:\programdata\adobe folder.
  2. From an elevated command prompt, I ran msiexec /a acroread.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp . I created a new administrative installation point (AIP) at \\DFSroot\software\adobereader\10_1_3 - but this failed because the installation could not write some temp files to the (hidden) plug-ins folder.
  3. As a workaround, I just created a new AIP, but without the patch. As you know, this created a 10.1.0 installation.
  4. I updated the AIP with msiexec /a \\DFSroot\software\adobereader\10_1_3\acroread.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp and this completed without error.
  5. I then customized the installation with the Adobe Customization Wizard and created a transform.
  6. [cue ominous music] I was unable to install Adobe Reader 10.1.3 from my patched AIP with msiexec /i \\DFSroot\software\adobereader\10_1_3\acroread.msi /t mysettings.mst because I got an error about mismatched transforms.
  7. Okay, I said, forget the transforms. I tried the exact same command as in the previous step, but without the \t switch. It still threw errors.
  8. I tried applying the AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp directly to my installation of Adobe Reader 10.1.2, but it complained about being the wrong version.
  9. I tried again on multiple computers, both with and without 10.1.2 installed. I made sure all web browsers were closed.
  10. I went to the server hosting the DFS root and ran msiexec /a acroread.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp to an AIP at f:\software\adobereader\10_1_3 - this worked. It did not have the problem writing the temp file.
  11. I went to create an MST with the Customization Wizard, but there was no MSI in the AIP. I realized that creating an AIP to a local drive fails to copy the MSI. I found the patched MSI and copied it to the AIP.
  12. Unfortunately, even this version fails to install anywhere.

The methodology I described above worked just fine with the 10.1 and the 10.2 updates. There's just something off about AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi joestern,

From what I could get from your observations and findings, I could find the following pointers:

1. Instead of going through the process listed to get the base MSI for creating the AIP (i.e. running the EXE and then stopping the process to get the contents in the programdata folder), you can directly get the 10.1.0 MSI from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/

2. While creating AIPs, please ensure that you use a two step process as below:

a. Create an AIP for the base MSI installer separately

b. Patch the AIP created in step 1 above with the patch installer released.

Hence, your approach as illustrated in Steps 3 and 4 (in your post) were correct.

3. Please use the following switch to apply transforms.

msiexec /i "path to MSI" TRANSFORMS="path to MST"

4. Are you uninstalling the prior installation of Reader 10.1.2 AIP, prior to applying the 10.1.3 AIP package? You might be recveiving the errors if you did not uninstall the previous version prior to applying the AIP package.

If you are using GPO to push the AIP package out to the network systems, you may need to unlink the existing package and then re-link a new package to the OU.

Please try using the above steps to install Reader 10.1.3 using an AIP package, and let me know if it works. If it doesn't provide me with the exact error message received and a screenshot of the same.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Enterprise Deployment forum so others can see Ankit's suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ankit -

I took your advice and downloaded the MSI from the FTP site. I created the AIP, and noticed that the MSI name was AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi - this was different from the previous MSIs, which were all called AcroRead.msi.

I then patched the AIP with the MSP file I had downloaded earlier. I didn't see any way to get the MSP directly from the FTP site.

I created an MST to remove the desktop shortcut and suppress the EULA and saved the MSI. I had to add a blank file called setup.ini to the folder, which the Customization Wizard then modified.

I uninstalled Adobe Reader 10.1.2 from my computer, then rebooted. After logging in and confirming that 1) Adobe Reader was uninstalled and 2) all web browsers were closed. I then attempted to install 10.1.3 from an elevated command prompt with msiexec /i AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=AdbeRdr1010_en_US.mst

It failed with a Windows Installer error: "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid."error_screen.png

On the chance that it was the Customization Wizard messing things up, I created a new patched AIP using the above steps, but skipped creating an MST. It still failed with the same error. I reproduced this same error on another computer.

Finally, I tried using Adobe Reader to search for updates on some other computers. They download the patch, I run it with administrative credentials, and the resulting version is still 10.1.2. I can keep searching for updates, and it keeps trying to install 10.1.3. I find the MSP in the c:\programdata\adobe\ folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joestern, Thanks for providing the said information.

From the look of things, it seems that you may have an issue with the installation here. But just to be sure, could you please provide me with the following information:

1. Did you ever have Acrobat/Reader 8.x installed on these systems?

2. Please provide me with the MSI log for the failed installation carried out on any one of the system(s). You can find the information for getting the MSI log at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Thanks again for assisting me with the required information.

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit -

The machines I'm working with have never had any Adobe Reader/Acrobat version prior to 10.0.x installed.

My test machine had originally had Adobe Reader 10.1.2 deployed by Group Policy, and I had uninstalled it from Add/Remove programs. I enabled MSI logging, and was very surprised to see in the logs that the installation was trying to find the "NASettings.mst" transform that had been used for the 10.1.2 deployment.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Looking for secure file transform:

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 2343

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Unable to create a temp copy of transform ''.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 2203 2:  3: -2147287037

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Couldn't find cached transform . Looking for it at the source.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Resolving source.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Resolving source to launched-from source.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Setting launched-from source as last-used.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: SOURCEDIR ==> Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: SOURCEDIR product ==> {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA1000000001}

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Looking for secure file transform:

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 2343

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Unable to create a temp copy of transform ''.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 2203 2:  3: -2147287037

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Couldn't find cached transform . Looking for it at the source.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Looking for secure file transform: Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Unable to create a temp copy of transform 'Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst'.

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 2203 2: Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst 3: -2147287038

DEBUG: Error 2203:  Database: Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst. Cannot open database file. System error -2147287038

1: 2203 2: Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst 3: -2147287038

Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

Z:\AdobeReader\10_1_3x\NA settings.mst

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (c) (34:64) [10:56:11:252]: Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) -- Installation failed.

On a hunch, I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool that Microsoft used to distribute to clean up Office 2003 installations and removed the Adobe Reader X(10.1.2) installation remnants.

remnant.png

After that, I was able to install 10.1.3 successfully from my AIP.

- - -

I created a new GPO that applied only to another test machine that previously had received 10.1.2 by Group Policy. This new GPO uninstalled 10.1.2, then installed 10.1.3.

Unfortunately, although the new GPO applied "successfully", the installed version of Adobe Reader remains 10.1.2.

I will keep testing, and trying to get the MSI logs on the GPO-tests, but I wanted to bring you up to speed on my findings.

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the update Joe.!

It seems like a case of a corrupt installation (un-installation rather!) wherein references to the last used transform weren't removed in their entirety.

Also, the second case you mention, could you please ensure that it did uninstall the 10.1.2 installation?

Cause, normally an existing GPO package would need to be unlinked from the OU to remove the existing installation and the new GPO package assigned to the same OU to ensure that 10.1.3 be installed correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ankit-

Good news - I've successfully used Group Policy to install 10.1.2 and replace it with 10.1.3. I can move forward now with deploying 10.1.3 in the network. My problem in my previous post was the order in which my GPOs were applied.

This was a different process than I've had to use before. I've never had problems installing version updates over previous installations before. We also discovered that uninstalling by Add/Remove programs did not completely remove 10.1.2, and only removing the GPO installation or using MSI Cleanup was sufficient.

So, the summary is as follows:

1. Create an administrative installation point (AIP) using the 10.1.0 msi
  2. Patch the MSI in the AIP using msiexec /a pathtoAIPmsi/reader.msi /p pathtoMSP/10_1_3.msp
  3. Testing on a computer that has had 10.1.2 installed by Group Policy will fail unless that installation is removed either by Group Policy or the MSI is physically scrubbed from the computer with Microsoft's now-deprecated Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Add/Remove Programs is insufficient.
  4. Ensure that the GPO that installs 10.1.3 MSI first uninstalls version 10.1.2 - it is not sufficient to replace the previous version.

I hope this helps someone.

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue for us as we use SCCM to distibute the install.  I can create a collection that will find systems with Reader v 9.0.4, 10.0.1 and 10.1.12  If it does then install reader 10.1.13.  But that's going to fail on systems that have 10.1.12 becouse the install for 10.1.12 is much the same as 10.1.13.  That's not a proper patch if it's not going to update 10.1.12 wih the new code.  So what we'll have to do is make one collection that will install 10.1.13 over 9.0.4 and 10.0.1 and another that will find the system with 10.1.12, run an uninstall of 10.1.12 and then install 10.1.13.   I do not understand why the instal for 10.1.13 was not created in such a way it would overright 10.1.12 the same as previouse versions?

This is the issue we see:

"I downloaded Adobe Reader MUI 10.1.3.msp and created a new admin point install for Reader 10.1.3. I have tested the install with versions 9.0.4, 10.0.1 and 10.1.2. I find that 10.1.3 will over right 9.04 and 10.0.1. I can remove 10.1.2 from the workstation and then do a clean install of 10.1.3 just fine. When I try and run the 10.1.3 install on a system that has 10.1.2 on it the install fails with the following error " Another versions of the product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel. I think the Sid/Quid in the MSI was not modified for the 10.1.3 install and therefore the 10.1.3 MSI thinks it's really the 10.1.2 install and does not install over the top of itself as expected. Please fix the install for adobe reader 10.1.3"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

I am assuming that there is a typo when you say that the version of Reader installed on your systems is 10.1.1.12 / 10.1.1.13 instead of 10.1.2 / 10.1.3.

With regards to your issue, could you please provide me with the following information:

1. Is the existing Reader 10.0.1 installation on the systems, a localized Reader installation? Or a MUI Reader installation? Would it be possible to provide a screenshot of the Add/Remove Programs screen from within the Control Panel.

2. Was the 10.1.2 Reader installation a MUI installation or a localized Reader installation? Again, would it be possible for you to provide me with a screenshot of a system wherein 10.1.2 Reader was installed over a Reader 10.0.1 installation?

3. Also, please provide me with the MSI log for the failed installation carried out on any one of the system(s). You can find the information for getting the MSI log at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

I am guessing that your existing Reader 10.0.1 installation was a localized Reader installation whilst the 10.1.2 installation carried out was a MUI Reader installation which might be causing the problems.

When you tried to install Reader 10.1.3 over Reader 10.0.1, it worked cause the Product Codes were different for the current MUI installation against the existent localized Reader installation.

But the same installation failed when MUI Reader 10.1.2 was installed, because an existing AIP installation for MUI Reader 10.1.2 was present on the system.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Windwso 7 64 bit systems never had reader v8.

=== Verbose logging started: 4/12/2012  9:58:22  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.7600.00  Calling process: C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (8C:84) [09:58:22:702]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (8C:84) [09:58:22:702]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:22:718]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:22:718]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:22:718]: ******* RunEngine:
           ******* Product: \\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\Acroread.msi
           ******* Action:
           ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:22:718]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:22:718]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:23:950]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:23:950]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package --> '\\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\Acroread.msi' against software restriction policy
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:23:950]: Note: 1: 2262 2:  DigitalSignature 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:23:950]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: \\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\Acroread.msi is not digitally signed
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:23:966]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: \\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\Acroread.msi is permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:012]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:012]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:012]: End dialog not enabled
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:012]: Original package ==> \\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\Acroread.msi
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:012]: Package we're running from ==> C:\Users\puaedw\AppData\Local\Temp\3dcd6c3.msi
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: Uninstall Flags override found.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: Uninstall VersionNT override found.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: Uninstall ServicePackLevel override found.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: MSCOREE not loaded loading copy from system32
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'DisablePatch' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'AllowLockdownPatch' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'DisableMsi' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: User policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001} is admin assigned: LocalSystem owns the publish key.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001} is managed.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Running product '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}' with elevated privileges: Product is assigned.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'DisableLUAPatching' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'DisableFlyWeightPatching' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Enabling baseline caching for this transaction since all active patches are MSI 3.0 style MSPs or at least one MSI 3.0 minor update patch is active
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Looking for file transform: C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Original transform ==> C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Transform we're running from ==> C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying transform --> 'C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst' against software restriction policy
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2:  DigitalSignature 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst is not digitally signed
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst is permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Validating transform 'C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst' with validation bits 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Transform 'C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst' is valid.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Patch
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: PatchPackage
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Media 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: File 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: TRANSFORM: 'PatchPackage' table is missing or empty.  No pre-transform fixup necessary.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: TRANSFORM: Applying regular transform to database.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ActionText 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AdminExecuteSequence 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Condition 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AdminUISequence 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AdvtExecuteSequence 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AdvtUISequence 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AppId 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AppSearch 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Feature 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: File 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CheckBox 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Class 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Icon 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ProgId 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ComboBox 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CompLocator 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Control 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Dialog 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ControlCondition 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ControlEvent 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: CreateFolder 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DrLocator 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DuplicateFile 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ModuleDependency 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ModuleSignature 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: EventMapping 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Extension 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MIME 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: LaunchCondition 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ListBox 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ListView 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Media 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ModuleComponents 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MoveFile 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiAssembly 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiAssemblyName 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiDigitalCertificate 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiFileHash 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: RadioButton 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: RegLocator 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: RemoveFile 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: RemoveRegistry 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: SelfReg 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ServiceControl 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Signature 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: TextStyle 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: TypeLib 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: UIText 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Upgrade 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: UpgradeCode 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Verb 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiPatchCertificate 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: _MsiPatchTransformView 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: #_BaselineCost 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: #_BaselineFile 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: #_BaselineData 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: #_PatchCache 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ISComponentExtended 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ISCustomActionReference 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ISSetupFile 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: LockRegPermissions 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: LockFilePermissions 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: MsiSFCBypass 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: SxsMsmGenComponents 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ISDistribution 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AppsInUse 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: BackupAndRestoreRegistry 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DefragFiles 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DeleteComponents 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DeleteFiles 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DeleteProducts 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: DeleteRegistry 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ServiceInstall 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: TransferRegistry 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 2262 2: AppsInUseEx 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Transforms are not secure.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Transforming table Property.

MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MsiLogFileLocation property. Its value is 'C:\Users\puaedw\AppData\Local\Temp\MSIcd6c2.LOG'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Command Line: CURRENTDIRECTORY=\\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3 CLIENTUILEVEL=0 CLIENTPROCESSID=1420
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackageCode property. Its value is '{F29D7469-E8E4-48F5-BF96-34E18D928DFD}'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding TRANSFORMS property. Its value is 'C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}\Acroread.mst'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product Code passed to Engine.Initialize:           ''
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product Code from property table before transforms: '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}'
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product Code from property table after transforms:  '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}'
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product registered: entering maintenance mode
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Determined that existing product (either this product or the product being upgraded with a patch) is installed per-machine.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ProductState property. Its value is '5'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ProductToBeRegistered property. Its value is '1'.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Entering CMsiConfigurationManager::SetLastUsedSource.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Specifed source is not already in a list.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: User policy value 'SearchOrder' is 'nmu'
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'DisableBrowse' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'AllowLockdownBrowse' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Machine policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: User policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is 0
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001} is admin assigned: LocalSystem owns the publish key.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001} is managed.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Running product '{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}' with elevated privileges: Product is assigned.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Adding new sources is not allowed.
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Warning: rejected attempt to add new source '\\briggslaw\root\AppsDev\Drivers & Utilities\Adobe Reader\Reader 10.1.3\' (product: {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001})
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackagecodeChanging property. Its value is '1'.
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AA0000000001}
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Note: 1: 1729
MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:028]: Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) MUI -- Configuration failed.

MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:044]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) MUI. Product Version: 10.1.3. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Adobe Systems Incorporated. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1638.

MSI (c) (8C:BC) [09:58:24:044]: MainEngineThread is returning 1638
=== Verbose logging stopped: 4/12/2012  9:58:24 ===

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

That post was for joestern as was mentioned in the addressing statement.

Could you please provide the information as asked in the post below the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the double post.  Should we go back to my original question with this issue?  I was pointed to this question so I thought it would be appropriate to post to this one.

My Appoloqies to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers are in BOLD

I am assuming that there is a typo when you say that the version of Reader installed on your systems is 10.1.1.12 / 10.1.1.13 instead of 10.1.2 / 10.1.3.   No typo, 10.1.12 and 10.1.13 are the versions I'm working with.  Is there version 10.1.1.12 or 10.1.1.13?????

With regards to your issue, could you please provide me with the following information:

1. Is the existing Reader 10.0.1 installation on the systems, a localized Reader installation? Or a MUI Reader installation? Would it be possible to provide a screenshot of the Add/Remove Programs screen from within the Control Panel. This is the title in Add/Remove   "Adobe Reader X (10.0.1)" from admin point.

2. Was the 10.1.2 Reader installation a MUI installation or a localized Reader installation? Again, would it be possible for you to provide me with a screenshot of a system wherein 10.1.2 Reader was installed over a Reader 10.0.1 installation?  This is the title in Add/Remove  "Adobe Reader X  (10.1.2) MUI"  from admin point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

Thanks for providing the said information.

As I suspected, your initial installation of Reader 10.0.1was a localized Reader Installation (i.e. a specific Language Reader and not a MUI Reader). Whereas the subsequent 10.1.2 installation was a MUI Reader Installation, which in turn replaced the existing Reader installation (since the 2 are totally different products with different Product Codes) and hence, a successful installation at the time.

However, when you are trying to install the MUI Reader 10.1.3 AIP on the same system, since an existing MUI installation is already present on the system (which is not recommended while installing via an AIP package) you are now getting an error as expected. There doesnt seem to be any issue with the installer as such, but there seems to be a conflict with the current system state(s).

You may try and:

1. Uninstall all Reader installations via SCCM.

2. Chose on the product to be installed across all systems i.e. a MUI reader or a localized Reader and install the base version for the same (i.e. 10.1.0 for Localized Reader OR 10.0.0 for MUI readers)

3. Now simply push the latest quarterly updates (i.e. MSPs) via SCCM without having to go through the process of creating an AIP everytime.

Hope this helps.

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

I have Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) MUI installed on my test system at this time.  I copied the AdbeRdrUpd1013_MUI.msp file to the workstation and tried to run the MSP patch as you suggested.  Windows Insaller error  “The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.”  So the 1013 AIP wont insatll over the top and the 1013 MSP patch wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

Application of a Quarterly Patch over a (non base MSI) AIP installation is not supported i.e.

1. Application of 10.1.2 MUI patch over 10.1.1 AIP installation is not supported.

2. Application of 10.1.3 MUI patch over 10.1.2 AIP installation is not supported.

3. However, application of 10.1.2 MUI patch over 10.0.0 AIP installation is supported (Since the last MSI released for MUI Readers was 10.0.0.)

4. Similarly, application of 10.1.2 localized Reader patch over 10.1.0 Localized Reader AIP installation is supported. (Since the last MSI released for Localized Readers was 10.1.0.)

More information on the same can be found at:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.3.pdf (under the Update Order > Windows section)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sticking to the original post

*Note the Enterprise EXE is a chained installer that uses a modified Setup.ini file.

1.  After you have run the installation and grabbed the installer files

2.  Open the Command Prompt and navigate to your installer files.

3.  Run the 10.1.0 AIP MSI creation commands

msiexec.exe /a AcroRead.msi

4.  Point this to a new folder (i.e. C:\1010\)

5.  Copy the folder contents to a new folder (i.e. C:\1013\)

6. Place the patch "AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp" in the new folder (i.e. C:\1013\)

7.  In the Command Prompt, change directory to the new folder

8.  Run the 10.1.3 AIP MSI creation commands from the new folder (i.e. C:\1013\)

msiexec.exe /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp

9.  Point the AIP to the same directory from where you are running.

10.  When it's complete copy the contents to a new directory that you will modify with the Adobe Customization Wizard X.

11.  Make sure to copy the Setup.ini file from the original expanded folders.

12.  Open the Setup.ini file in Notepad and remove the following line:

PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp

13.  Save the Setup.ini file

14.  Open the MSI file with the Adobe Customization Wizard X and make the desired modifications and Save

15.  Copy the completed package via File>Copy to a a location of your needs

16.  Test the installer.

msiexec.exe /a AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroRead.MST /L*v "C:\AcroRead.log"

** Use the MSI installer's verbose switch and If there is an error then you have a log to help troubleshoot the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines