• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shared Device Licensing

Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared Device Licensing is a new lab desktop offering, which provides Education customers with a services-enabled named user deployment (NUD) solution in a lab environment.

Shared device licenses provide education customers the ability to deploy the latest Creative Cloud apps in their labs and classrooms.

Your students and teachers can now:

• Access Adobe’s latest apps such as XD and Rush
  • Utilize Creative Cloud services such as cloud storage, Adobe Fonts, and Libraries among others (free level entitlement)

To get started, read the Deployment guide.

For specific answers to your queries, read the FAQ. If you still have any unanswered questions or or observations, post a comment below.

TOPICS
Enterprise , Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Hi Tawny,

SDL doesn't control Adobe Sign.  The user needs to have Adobe Sign entitlements.  The Adobe Sign entitlement is not provided as part of the SDL device license.  

In general though: if a user has an Adobe ID they can sign documents sent to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenas tardes.

Tengo entendido que puedo hacer mi migración de licencias de dispositivo compartido hasta diciembre 31, pero si yo compre mis licencias en marzo, no debería de poder migrar mis licencias hasta el año próximo ya que no podemos hacer actualización de los equipos que es uno de los requisitos obligatorios para este licenciamiento???

Good afternoon.

I understand that I can do my shared device license migration until December 31, but if I buy my licenses in March, I should not be able to migrate my licenses until next year since we can not update the equipment that is one of the Mandatory requirements for this licensing???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gapeterb​ will shared device licenses work in app-v deployment scenario?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming app-v implies a virtual machine environment. If so, then no, shared device license packages cannot be installed on virtual machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gapeterb

Its not a VM environment its application virtualization solution from Microsoft.

There is even a guide from adobe on how to use it.

App-V Deployment: Acrobat DC — Acrobat Virtualization Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Adobe don't understand how educational environments work.  The move away from volume licensing and to SDL is a step backwards and will negatively impact on our staff and students.

• Why do we need a message flashing up every hour when our users have their own user accounts?
  • Students want to log onto a computer and open and app and start working.  Logging into a PC, and then immediately having to log into an app is a terrible experience.
  • If SDL isn't designed for single user devices (i.e. staff laptops) we now need to package and deploy 15 SDL apps on Windows, 15 SDL apps on Mac, 15 NUL apps on Windows and 15 NUL on Mac.  We support 300 apps across 6500 devices for 30000 users.  Adobe have now doubled our work load.

We'll make sure to communicate to our users that the poor experience is forced on us by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this.. hit the nail on the head. 

I need to explain to 3500 people that they not just can use the app but that the need to login by their Gsuite account. This makes not a lot of sense because they are on a windows machine (we dont have Azure Active Directory to connect to). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the most current FAQ document?  Our Adobe licensing vendor said that this FAQ has a lot of misinformation in it, for example, having to separate student and staff licenses into shared device and named user and not being able to allow students to work from home on their school-related projects and homework for their design classes.  If it is true that we do have to separate staff and students, you are creating a ton more work for educational institutions, not to mention the significant increase in costs, as many institutions would not have the minimum number of staff to qualify for the named user discount pricing under your new scheme.

Adobe really should have discussed these possible changes with educational institutions BEFORE deciding to go this route.  There are many issues that were not properly thought through under an educational lens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just moved to Shared Device Licensing CC, but the instructors in the graphic design computer lab are really annoyed that the app versions in Shared Device Licensing are not as new as the ones they have with their User licenses. 

Is there a release schedule of app updates for Shared Device Licensing, and could you share this information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app versions supported by Shared Device Licenses and Named User licenses are almost entirely the same. You might need to deploy the updates and/or updated packages that you can create using the Admin Console.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there plans to update the Admin Console so that machines with Shared Device Licenses deployed to them are visible in the Console? Those computers were were viewable in the Console prior to the move to SDL, but currently computers that are consuming a device license can only be viewed after downloading the Console Report in CSV form. Even that's difficult to find -- its in a tiny, hidden dropdown menu on the SDL licenses page. Please make licensed devices visible in the console again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kaib76118345 - Thank you for your question. I'm a product manager at Adobe working on SDL. Currently it's not on our roadmap to provide a device specific view within the Admin console but we will continue to provide this view via the CSV file you mention. I agree with you, that the reporting function is difficult to locate. I've reached out to the team to discuss what we can do to improve the UI for this feature. Best, Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi we have 6 labs in college with some 30 windows stations with Adobe CC

we recently moved to Shared Device License, and solved federated loging for each student(user) using the college email.

Has anybody used XD in this envionment?

we create a basic image with all the sofware needed in the LAB, Use Microdoft SysPrep and deploy the im age to all the labs computer,now it is impossible to use or Run SysPrep as Adobe XD is an UWP app

The half solution i found is to deploy the lab without ADOBE XD, and then isnsalling XD in each machine logged as a local user (with the machine name) then the student can log to the adobe APP with it's user and use adobe xd and the other CC applications

The problem is the if the student logs to the machine user he won't get his windows roaming profile (my documents, desktop, etc)

he won't be able to submit exams results as network dirves for this porpuse appear only as the user logs with his roaming profile.

users don't have privileges to install apps (and the computers are write protected -with deepfreeze)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question about scratch disks.  We have an iMac lab with machines that have only 500 GB drives.  The image is huge as it contains all the Mac apps, office, Adobe CC etc, plus Windows Parallels with a sizeable VM.  The disk is also partitioned off to have a 150 GB data drive where students can store some data as the main drive is frozen with deep freeze.  As students start using Adobe CC (usually photoshop), they very soon get messages the drive is out of space. Often they will get a message "Could not initialized Photoshop because the scratch disks are full."  I've tried redirecting the scratch disks to the data drive, but, you can only do that if you are signed in.  So, will this setting keep if I log out and another user logs in?  If not, how do you change that setting globally, no matter who is logged in?  And if you can't change it globally, how much space do the scratch disks need for the suite to run properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

We use multiple email addresses (e.g. @example.com and @examplecloud.com) at educational environment. We want to let the student and staff know that is only possible to login with only one email address (a google Gsuite address). Would it be possible to edit the text in the image (see highlight)? And if it is not, I would like to have a option to add some extra text. In this extra text box I can explain what to do if they want to use an Adobe product.

Otherwise my helpdesk employees are going to have a hard time explaining to everybody that:
the need to sign-in and only with a specific email address.

adobe.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jana,

I get your point.  The text your are highlighting is static and cannot be changed.  Did you set the "Access Policy" for the profile to "Federation Users Only".  If that is the case then the text on the sign-in should say something like: "Use your School Login". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use the signature feature on a shared device licensed machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tawny,

SDL doesn't control Adobe Sign.  The user needs to have Adobe Sign entitlements.  The Adobe Sign entitlement is not provided as part of the SDL device license.  

In general though: if a user has an Adobe ID they can sign documents sent to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have some lab machines with SDL installed. Would we be able to allow students to remote control these machines and use Adobe with the SDL license? To clarify this isn't a multiuser setup like RDS or VDI - it's just students using the machines they would normally be sitting in front of, but via a remote connection, such as VNC or more like HP RGS.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately, SDL can only be deployed and accessed from the actual device.   Remote access is supported in a scenario where the users have Named User licensing.

You can find more info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/technical-support-boundaries-virtualized-server-based.html

Best!

Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems akin to the question I came here looking to answer, but I am not 100% positive that it is so exact as to constitute a final answer to that question. The linked more-info page does not appear to address the scenario which I am considering, and to which I parse the previous question as having been in regard.

We are an educational institution. We have a number of computer labs (some classrooms, other general-study) where we install Adobe applications via shared-device licensing for student use. It is my understanding that we do not, will not, and cannot grant named-user licensing to our stuudents; as a result, unless there is a third option available which I am missing, shared-device licensing is the only possibility which Adobe makes available.

Under current pandemic conditions, we do not permit students to come to campus except by special appointment. Because of that, they are not able to physically access these shared-device-licensing computers and use the Adobe applications installed there.

We are investigating the possibility of making it possible for students to access these computers by remote access from off-campus locations, so that they can continue to access the software on those computers (including, but not limited to, the Adobe shared-device-licensing applications) and further their educations even while the pandemic continues. This use would be limited to one user at a time per computer, just as if the students were physically present, but without requiring them to place themselves or others at risk by coming to campus and being in close physical proximity to others during the pandemic.

Am I correct in understanding your reply to danielk63286411 as meaning that there is no scenario under which this would be possible without violating the license terms of the Adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

Every avenue, sales person or tech support enquiry I have made has hit the same brick wall unfortunately, that SDL licenses aren't supported under virtualization, even though there is zero virtualization going on.

Out of curiousity, what are you looking into for remote access? We've deployed HP ZCentral RemoteBoost and are fairly impressed with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm told that what we're looking into is https://www.splashtop.com/remote-labs. It's being done by the higher-ups, I'm just being called in on the installation and license-analysis side of things, so I don't have a better picture than what the link can tell you yet. (For that matter, I haven't had time to review the link itself in depth.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we're still on the old licensing model assigned to each device. I'm keen to update the software and migrate to the new licensing so have setup the Adobe Identity Management app in our Azure. Now I'm worried about migrating all licensing to the new model for testing. Is there some way to do a partial migration or can we roll back if we run into major issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines