• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update to latest versions and uninstall previous via deployment

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manage a group of ~35 Adobe installations.  It feels that every year I run into a new process to update our workstations to the latest versions & remove previous versions.  I know that I can download a new package and deploy that to get the latest versions installed, but as I understand this leaves the prior year versions.  If I run an uninstaller (the process for which also seems to change year by year), I believe that user settings don't carry over.

In short, I want the same ease of deploying the new version, removing the old, and carrying over all settings as an individual user would have with opening the Creative Cloud app and updating to the latest versions manually (without asking users to update manually).  That make sense?  I'd appreciate anybody's advice on how they manage this process.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply @John T Smith.  Best I can tell, it doesn't address my question.  I'm good on the licensing side and understand how to deploy a new package.  Where I consistently run into trouble is how to simultaneously copy user settings (e.g. customized workspaces) and delete old versions of products in that same process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In your scenario, I don't think there is an automated process to migrate the preferences from the old to the new version of CC apps. However, the users can copy the preferences from the old version of apps to the new version. Most of the preferences are saved under "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe" (For Windows) and "/Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences" (for Mac).

You can try which Abambo suggested above/below by setting AUSST in your environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @SuJoshi & @Abambo - making solid progress!

So let's say that I do set up an AUSST server and point all packages to it.  I can then download new content to the AUSST server on my own timeline and prevent anybody from working from a newer version that isn't yet available via AUSST.

To actually update workstations, I would then either allow users to run updates on their own (preferrably with auto-update enabled since control is via AUSST) or instruct workstations to update during off-hours by using Remote Update Manager.

Is there a way to remotely enable auto-update on client machines?  Or will Remote Update Manager update major versions if pointing to AUSST or only update minor versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes sense. We did enable the users to update themselves their CC programs, but my team was quite small: only 7 users. That's easy to manage like this.

If you have, however, more users and need consistent versions, you have a problem like this, as there is always one eager to update before the official go, besides the load on the network. But I think, for that, you can establish an own local update location.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines