• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(#15)Can't initialize target. [VSCode ES Debugger]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed ExtendScript Debugger extension for VSCode on Mac and followed all the instructions (including troubleshooting), however selection of the target application does not work with error "(#15)Can't initialize target." for all CC apps I have installed on Mac. Is the fix coming? Could you suggest how I can troubleshoot this?

• macOS Mojave v10.14.1
  • VSCode v1.31.1
  • ExtendScript Debugger v1.0.0
TOPICS
ExtendScript Debugger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

ExtendScript Debugger extension conflicts ESTK and you should stop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

this just force quit my whole vs code app why would you post this 

WARNING THIS WILL CRASH YOUR VSCODE  INSTANTLY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE 

killall "Code Helper (Renderer)"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to get around this problem by closing all other workspace windows in VS Code and then initializing my target Adobe app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously VS Code gets confused when several workspace windows are open. I needed to close all others, restart VS Code and then after establishing the debugging connection, I can open other workspaces again.

This is annoying and the debugger isn't very stable anyway. Adobe really could help us developers out by improving this, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The part where you said "establishing the debugging connection" made all the difference to me in understanding what is going wrong.

I now understand it to mean that VS needs to connect to photoshop so it makes sense to first start vsc and have that start photoshop, that way we have the best guarantee that vsc will know "that photoshop exists".

Without antropomorphising vsc too much, any other way introduces enough doubt for vsc to become uncertain as to what photoshop is, where it is, whether it's runningn ...

Thank you for your spark of insight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@erinferinferinf has Version 2.0 been released? I will wait for the official release.

When attempting to setup a new computer (Mac Studio Max) I am unable to "Target Illustrator CC 26". All of this is still voodo to me. I'm just lucky it's working on my old iMac. This is the "launch.json" I'm using on both machines. Works on iMac but Mac Studio does not allow me to target Illustrator. How do I target Illustrator? I am not seeing "Select the target application" option in the bottom right of the window. 

{
"version": "0.2.0",
"configurations": [

{
"type": "extendscript-debug",
"request": "launch",
"name": "Illustrator",
"program": "${file}",
// "targetSpecifier": "illustrator-24.064",
"targetSpecifier": "illustrator-26.064",
"stopOnEntry": false
},
]
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@erinferinferinf has Version 2.0 been released? I will wait for the official release.

By @rcraighead

Not yet, but we have a release candidate... there were a couple of bugs but I think it will be out this month: https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/918068DD-4655-4298-925A-1E6EA4BFA84B#tab_downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a special install proceedure to make "ExtendScript Debugger" work on Apple Silicon? I cannot get "Select the target application" option to appear on Mac Studio, Monterey 12.4.
I see all kinds of comments in the Q&A section of ExtendScript Debugger page:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Adobe.extendscript-debug&ssr=false#qna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a special install proceedure to make "ExtendScript Debugger" work on Apple Silicon? I cannot get "Select the target application" option to appear on Mac Studio, Monterey 12.4.

Yes, there is. You need to start VS Code in Rosetta mode (instructions). Once that is done, the extension should load.

This is due to the fact that the extension requires use of an Intel-native framework internally and that cannot be mixed with Apple Silicon code within a single process. As a note, the upcoming V2 extension will also require Rosetta to operate for the time being (due to the exact same internal dependency).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, @sberic . Installing the "Intel" version works.

I'd sure like Adobe to clearly communicate this fact to their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ExtendScript Debugger has just been updated to v2.0.2 and provides an entirely new, overhauled debugging experience. The lack of native M1 support is now messaged at the top of the extension's README and the extension itself will even show a warning notification if it is activated on an unsupported platform (e.g. macOS on Apple Silicon or Windows on ARM). As with v1, the v2 extension can be run on Apple Silicon machines by running VS Code under Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines