• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Configurator and deprecated Flash-based panel support in Adobe CC products

Participant ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Configurator 4.0 (or Configurator 3) support the creation of HTML5-based panels?

I received the following email from Adobe: 

Photoshop CC, starting in the middle of 2014, will remove support for Flash-based extensions. All other Creative Cloud products have already marked Flash-based panel support as deprecated at this time, meaning no future enhancements or bug fixes will be coming for Flash-based extensions.

The current version of Photoshop CC already includes support for a new type of HTML5 based panel. We are currently working on a new version of Adobe Extension Builder designed specifically to support the creation of these HTML5 based panels.  You can download a free preview here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/extensionbuilder3/.

Details about developing HTML5 extensions for Photoshop as well as for other Creative Cloud products are available in the Extension Builder pre-release program here: https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=6V6IgvE0yLQQ7bgadxNXaw .   You can also join the Photoshop developers' prerelease program for details specific to Photoshop.  If you're interested, please let me know and I will get you setup.

Will the panels created by Configurator 4.0 work in PS CC after the middle of 2014 when support for Flash-based extensions is removed from Photoshop CC?  For that matter, will the panels created in Configurator 3.0 work in PS CC after the middle of 2014?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 121 Replies 121
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's actually better than a configurator panel

If you consider the Actions Panel a full replacement then you may have made very limited use of Configurator Panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment about the actions panel being superior to a configurator panel was qualified earlier in my post by the word 'if' – as in 'if' you used your configurator panel to invoke tools, filters and/or actions.

Forget what I said everyone, I should have remained quiet instead of trying to be helpful.

C.pfaffenbichler, the floor is yours. Enlighten us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C.pfaffenbichler, the floor is yours. Enlighten us.

I doubt that you are receptive to arguments on this issue but whatever:

• there is one Actions Panel as opposed to potentially many Configurator Panels

• using the Actions Panel in Button Mode affects the immediately available functionality of the Panel

…

Forget what I said everyone, I should have remained quiet instead of trying to be helpful.

These Fora depend on users sharing their knowledge so by all means do try to be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you on the fact that there's only one actions panel, but it will display multiple (scrolling) columns of buttons so it's potential real estate is vast. Besides, one well-organized panel beats the screen clutter caused by a dozen separate panels any day. And as long as you're not creating new actions every fifteen minutes, displaying the panel in button mode is great - alphabetized, color-coded commands - all at your fingertips. 

I'm curious as to what you meant by my use of the configurator panel being limited. What kind of things are you doing with configurator that actions can't accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of the operation I trigger from Configurator Panels could indeed be done with Actions (applying Filters or Selection related operations for example) but other operations (like saving processed copies of images with an amended filename to a Folder with a certain position relative to the layered file) need to be scripted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can use an action to trigger a script. Or is there something more to it?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then the Script needs to exist separately from the Action, a Configurator Panel can reference external Scripts but also contain Scripts. (Though Scripts can also be packaged with the Panel.)

And for different groups of tasks I prefer to use separate Panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does an App with the worst user interface in the world not have a built in native tool to simply  allow users drag and drop tools, menu items and actions to a custom panel. 

(I am not interested in flash v html debates). 

A custom panel should be native to the app.

While some tools are available via a click button, 75% of the tools are hidden behind other tools, requiring knowledge of the hidden tools and extra clicks to use. Most commands are buried deep inside multi-layer menus. These can be accessed thru a combination of complex keyboard short cuts. This is a real crock when I need to keep a stylus in one hand and use my other hand to enter the complex shortcuts. Creative Suite users deserve a decent user interface.

I could list a range of small, medium and large products which have had this capability for the last 20 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is still asleep on this on.

Seriously, for the money we all pump in to the program there should be something available akin to Configurator that speeds up workflow . . . without buggering about with scripts and actions.

PLEASE GIVE US FASTER WORKFLOW OPTIONS ADOBE! . . . we shouldn't have to shout it out as it should be a standard feature of the program. It's completely ridiculous that it isn't.

On the other hand they have our money every month without fail, and they don't give a rip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yuuup, sure have.

Just bought a new laptop so am having to start all over again, and will lose the use of the old Configurator version I was using with CS6/CC.

However, has anyone tried out this add-on version?: https://creative.adobe.com/addons/patches/4270#.VgF_qfRV74a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is 2016, and I'm still using Photoshop CC! Paying my subscription, still. I can't live without my panels, seriously though, working in Photoshop is so much slower without them. Any news regarding a HTML based Configurator? Or something usable for us non-coders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't heard of anything, Chris - not even rumors or hits of something coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is Jonathan Ferman, I was product manager

for Configurator 3 and 4. I'm not aware of any plans for a new HTML based panel system for a Configurator 5/Next if you will. So if this is something you want please shout it from the rooftops and who knows, maybe it will happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan, I know there has been a big outcry for a configurator follow-on, there have been so many posts in both the Abobe forums as well as the request on Photoshop.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan. Where is the best place to voice our opinion these days?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven’t already you could add your vote to an existing Feature Request:

Photoshop: Provide an HTML5 alternative to Configurator for CC 2014 and onwards | Photoshop Family C...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did, but thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - 2019 and I still want a new version of Configurator to make just one custom panel. Configurator was a wonderful, useful, easy app, just perfect for my simple use. I don't need a humongous do-everything complicated app. I can't believe with all the folks, both amateur and professional. using CC a simple app is not being considered. You are always looking for bells and whistles to justify an upgrade - this would be a perfect little but much appreciated improvement. Even WordPerfect still has macros... Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Exchange. I think that someone on the team should know that users would still love an easy to create panel builder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not cheap, but if I'm allowed to mention a commercial product that I have no affiliation with here, Retouching Toolkit is like Configurator on steroids. I lamented the loss of Configurator, and tried several substitutes with mixed success until I discovered this panel maker. If you use PS all day long, it can be a great time saver, even if you are a keyboard shortcut wizard. https://retouchingtoolkit.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi together,

you may have also a look at Thomas Zagler's software:

Configurator Reloaded for Adobe InDesign CC
Thomas Zagler
Create custom InDesign Panels. Drag and drop tools, menu items and scripts.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.100351.configurator-reloaded-for-adobe-indesign-cc....

Configurator Reloaded for Adobe Photoshop
Thomas Zagler
Create custom Photoshop Panels. Drag and drop tools, menu items, actions, brush presets, tool presets and scripts.
https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.18927.configurator-reloaded-for-adobe-photoshop.htm...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines