• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot select or deselect objects in Fireworks CS5

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot seem to select or deselect objects in fireworks by clicking on them. I have to click and drag in order to select an object and click and drag to deselect. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong or how I can fix this? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

FIXED....

Its Spotify.... Close it and try again.. Worked for me....

Grrrrr... I blame Xmas and all the offices for having music on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

I don't have either Soundcloud installed (Mac OS X) or Spotify - for me it was Radium (also installed via Apple App Store) which was controlled by the Apple media keys - once I saw someone mention them in this connection, I immediately disabled it and all worked like a charm.

So that's really an Adobe + Apple issue, not third-party software. Because, you know, the bug already showed up with 3 apps (SoundCloud, Radium and Spotify)

So Adobe - please fix this one as soon as possible - for example, I purchased Radium and would like to use it further, and it's not their developers' fault, obviously!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh boy, just wait till Steve Jobs finds out about this one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so gald I found this! I too use Radium on 2 different Snow Leopard (10.6.8) machines; a PRO and an iMac. I've never had the selection problem on the iMac with Radium running and I use Radium quite a bit. On the PRO it is a nightmare as long as Radium is running. In the PRO, Fireworks 8 works flawlessly no matter what is running. I am going to drop an mail to the Radium guys and get their take on it. Since these 'media keys' seem to be available for multiple apps, I would venture to say the problem is with Adobe since Fireworks 8 is never affected. I am consideing CS6 for some of the new things added to Fireworks, but if the 'media-keys' issue still exists, I see no reason to spend the upgrade dollars. Adobe does not give Fireworks the attention it deserves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found that DoubleTwist causes the problem too - which I have turned on as a media player so yet again - it's the media player - been driving me f*** crazy this past couple of weeks - having to select layers manually in the pallette instead of just clicking on them. This is CS4 - some 2 years after the issue first reported - don't know who's being crap here; Adobe or Apple to be honest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem on Mac 10.7.1 and apparently it was caused by having VLC open at the same time. For anyone having this problem I would suggest closing other programs one by one and checking too see if its fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm thinking it's any program that uses media keys on a mac will break fireworks. VLC, Grooveshark Helper, and Spotify all use the play, pause buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just reported a similar bug - can't shift-click and select multiple, contiguous layers (it deselects the ones already selected, or selects ones you didn't click on). Looks like it's an open GChat window that causes it (I didn't have any music apps open or running).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just started having these issues:

1. Can't select objects using the selection tool

2. Strange issues with type tool - not able to select, edit a type object

I have now other applications even open and I'm having these issues.  I uninstalled Spotify since that seems to be a common issue.

What else can I try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experimenting with how to fix this problem - it seems like it's not only Spotify, but anything that runs browser scripts, especially if the scripts have been running for a while. Restarting the browser - and/or restarting Fireworks - fixes it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing VLC Player worked for me, apparently is a media issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This selection problem happened to me as soon as i tried to use the CS6 demo on OSX10.6.6. I thought it was because the min OSX was 10.6.8. So gave up and went back to CS5.

All was working well for days. until today.

The cause in my case was docking the properties bar with my other palettes.

My solution was to simply float the properties palette and it started working again with no need for a restart. If i dock it again, the selection tool stops working instantly. Drag it away and it works again!

So the bug must be in Fireworks.

I had no other apps runing while testing this.

Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FunctionFlip for Mac is also causing the same problem under CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

That did it for me. Thanks a bunch. Adobe, I hope you are reading this. There is no good reason for apps that control media or function keys to keep your app from functioning correctly.

Here's an idea Adobe: Load functionflip on your Mac. Launch Fireworks. See if it prevents you from selecting objects. If it does, figure out why and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same with Google Play Music (Chrome extension). Just to let you know. On Fireworks CS6 (the latest version on Adobe Creative CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it for me too - Google Play. Life saver post! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here with (normal Chrome). I use CS6 and every time i start or use Chrome my Fireworks stops working. No selection or shortcut+mouse-function work anymore.....

After closing Chrome everythink is fine again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Sept 2, 2014 I started having this issue in Fireworks. Seemed to start after updating to the latest version of Spotify...nothing else that I can think of changed. Running Fireworks CS5 on a MacBook Pro. Problem doesn't happen with Chrome, but it's very clear with Spotify. The moment I open it the problem starts, the moment I close it the problem stops!

Designing without music is really sad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, close spotify and problem solved, I don't know if is problem of adobe or spotify but someone has to fix this bug, design without music sucks, and yes something in the lastest update of spotify causes this problem, can anyone tell me how to install previous version of spotify desktop app ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with spotify. Please fix this. A life without music is no life. A life without fireworks neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm on my MBP that is is the fault of Spotify native app. Quitting the Spotify native app fixes the Fireworks issue. However, the issue is no Spotify. To fix THAT probably, I'm using the Spotify web app. Fireworks works with the Spotify web app. HOWEVER, now I can't control the music with the keyboard (play, forward, backwards). Someone needs to contact Spotify to fix this issue with the native app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone DO something?

Adobe people? We are paying for this... Im paying for both Fireworks and Spotify's subscription so can someone fix it...

I can't live without music.... And i need fireworks to earn my living.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just Spotify. When I have Google Chrome open on my Mac desktop, Fireworks malfunctions the same way.

I think it is related to using Flash for streaming media. If Flash is running in an app or in the browser, Fireworks stops working. When ONLY Fireworks is running, it works normally.

I think this is related to the recent Flash update and is not limited to just Spotify. This may very well be an Adobe problem (and if not fixed is the likely the death of FW for me...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on my work machine, which is an iMac running 10.7.5. Spotify definitely takes away Fireworks functionality. I can run Chrome, iTunes and VLC no problem. Chrome has a few extensions.

My personal Windows (8.1) machine at home is perfectly fine.

I'm running the Spotify web player in Safari for the time being. Music is playing and Fireworks is working so I'll just do that and subscribe to the threads here and at Spotify for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Google Play Music in Chrome on OSX 10.9.4 breaks it for me, which is why I was looking at streaming media as the problem. Maybe since the Flash plug-in is baked into Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue. Closing Spotify fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines