Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FW CS4 - BIG problems with text-engine!

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Just bought FW CS4 (Mac) and everything seems fine but... I'm having many odd problems with the new text-engine. It happens when I open CS4-saved documents or just by flipping through the pages in a document. The text moves position - it looks like the text-frame itself is placed away from the original area! This bothers me BIGTIME!! And when it occurs I can't see the real edge around the "moved" text! This takes much of my precious time to fix...

Is this a common problem on the Mac version?

TIA!

/Henriko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2008 Dec 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues as you guys—not sure if this helps, but I found that if you turn off modify antialiasing on the shifted box, it moves back where it belongs. Major PITA. Hope they fix it soon. I've fallen in love with FW, but this is something that could drive me away.
Authentically,

—m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2008 Dec 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue too. It keeps the text fine on the normal state on a rollover button, but it will shift on the others by saving and reopening the file. In certain circumstances I am not even allowed to save the file encountering an internal error message. Worse, if you click on save while quitting, it has deleted my file form my HD.

I would not expect this lack of quality from an Adobe product. I hold Adobe to a higher standard. Please fix Fireworks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2008 Dec 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

While we are working on the fixes, as a temporary workaround solution we have a command script which will correct all such text shifting in a document.
Important Note:
1. Running this script once on a document will correct all the text bounding boxes which were shifted, at one go. Please note that this correction is for that session only. You can again come across text shifting issue while working. Recommended usage would be to run this script once on a document when it is opened and where major work related to text is done.
2. Any CS3 text element if present inside a Group will get re-rendered on running this script.
After installing this extension, you can access this script from Commands menu-->Re-sync Text
Download Extension

This extension can be used to re-sync the text elements and their bounding boxes after opening the .png file before starting to work on it. However, while working further, the issue might recur. Please use this and let us know if it is helping you a bit.

Thanks,
Arun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2008 Dec 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I down loaded and used this extension

Would advise against it..it stuffed the text in so many places on my file...well it may have actually fixed text i didnt know whas out...but going through a large file and fixing all the text is tedious...

DO not run on a finished job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Firework CS4 trial has long since expired waiting for this bug to be fixed. I've had to go back to using CS3 and I won't even think of upgrading until the font-engine is working properly. In fact, the Photoshop-quality font engine is the only feature I really want in the new version. Converting files from Fireworks CS3 to Photoshop is a huge pain.

Will there ever be an official update for this? It seems like this bug won't be fixed till CS5 is released. Just like none of the Fireworks CS3 bugs were ever fixed with an incremental update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Firework CS4 trial has long since expired waiting for this bug to be fixed. I've had to go back to using CS3 and I won't even think of upgrading until the font-engine is working properly. In fact, the Photoshop-quality font engine is the only feature I really want in the new version. Converting files from Fireworks CS3 to Photoshop is a huge pain.

Will there ever be an official update for this? It seems like this bug won't be fixed till CS5 is released. Just like none of the Fireworks CS3 bugs were ever fixed with an incremental update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2008 Dec 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mee too

This is a major issue. fixing and refixing and rerefixing moved text. I upgraded from mx2004..and will happily go back taht far if this issue is not resolved.

also
I AM MISSING THE 'SYSTEM ALIASING' option..very helpfull for web design.

One COOL NEW FEATURE of font engine is the text styles..but major fault with this is you cant have more then one text style in a single text block...hence moving font use foward in CS4 is hamstrung yet again!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2008 Dec 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can show me the screenshot?
I dont have any problems. :)

http://vcc-gratis.blogspot.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 30, 2008 Dec 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please WE need the update for this problem. I spend so many time adjusting the text =\.

Or I will downgrade to CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2008 Dec 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

I am experiencing the same issue posted by designme.sk detailed here:
http://www.designme.sk/junk/cs4/

It seems to happen when I use the Align Tool, or move using the arrow keys in 1px or 10px increments, weather or not it is a new file, or an updated one from a previous version.

Is Adobe offering any sort of downgrade to CS3? I jumped from CS2 and am now running Vista (32), so I am kind of stuck 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any serious solutions yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2009 Jan 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if I save the file I'm working on as a Photoshop document psd extension, I can at least work with Fireworks CS4 and not have it freeze or lock up on me. Everytime I save it as a png file, I get the spinning beach ball. If it is a png file, it takes forever to allow me to type on the next layer in the property inspector. For example if I am putting in the link and ALT text. It must be at least 12 seconds before I can do the next one.

Give saving it as a psd file a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I just made the leap into CS4 as well and am having all of the same issues as you. I'm such a Fireworks evangelist this is going to make me look bad to the people I've been trying to switch from Photoshop!!

Anyways, this is HUGE like everyone else is saying and needs to be addressed. The search on this Forum is broken but I'm happy I found this post because I've been at my wits ends for 2 days trying to figure out why the bounding box shifts everytime I group and ungroup. I'm submitting my Bug Report now.

Hopefully a solution will be on the way soon in an update.

I can't believe this big of an issue slipped past the testers as this is supposed to be something used for rapid prototyping. I would assume text is a large part of that process.

Thanks.
Demetre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2009 Jan 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto to the previous user, Fireworks is an amazing tool, but this text editing issue is significant, to say the least. I find myself really frustrated with the product too often, so much so that I've been taking back my suggestions to friends that it's a great piece of software. It's almost a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2009 Jan 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.
Are you actually saying that no one had this problem during beta testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absurd. No serious response from Adobe. Is Adobe the Microsoft now that there is no competition left?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to take some of the thousands of dollars I spent on the Master Collection, as well as so many users here and hire a programmer or two to correct this horrible issue. This is one of those bugs that make Fireworks an unusable product.

I would appreciate an update on how close (or more likely how far) Adobe is to fixing this bug? Months after inital release and still no sign of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think the Fireworks CS4 is quite a mess.. other than the text problems.. lots of memory issues, takes 5-7 seconds to save a PNG file. The Adobe like interface wasn't working well with Fireworks. I have Fireworks CS3 on my office and CS4 at home. I can tell the huge difference. Adobe should revamp Fireworks CS4 and should focus more on usability.

They should quit on finding better CSS exports since hand coding is still the best way and should make the long requtested feature like custom brushes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to reinstall FW CS3 until Adobe ever gets around to fixing the terrible text engine with CS4.

Aside from the shifting and realigning of the text blocks, the kerning is completely broken, and the symbols is a mess (shifting text, can't apply effects, etc.)

What a mess. It's been 5 months since CS4 has shipped and we haven't seen a single maintenance release to address any of these issues.

I'm so spoiled with other vendors releasing bug fixes within a month of releasing the product. Not sure what Adobe is smoking but if this is their most prominent CS version like their marketing group advertising, I'm not impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we need to apply some community pressure above and beyond highlighting the issues here if we want Adobe to sit up and take notice. 5 months is far too long to wait for a bug fix when the issue affects most users on a daily basis.

I've written an open letter ( http://nathanpitman.com/journal/567/an-open-letter-to-software-developers-re-adobe-fireworks) to the software development community asking for someone to take up the challenge and give Adobe some real competition in this sector.

Personally feel that Adobe have lost direction with Fireworks and this bug, and the response to it from Adobe has only reinforced that opinion for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and Microsoft still believe the Titanic will never sink...

I have little hope that Adobe will listen to us. At this time only Flash on mobile phones is important because of the competition that Microsoft is giving them. CS3 was released as a beta version, CS4 as an alpha.

I guess with CS5 for a mere 800 dollar upgrade their gonna send us a beautiful box (with redefined logo's) with a few sheets of paper and a pencil in it. The new and improved logo will defiantly be worth the upgrade price though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"j.vincken" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
news:gnbs2k$57$1@forums.macromedia.com...
> Adobe and Microsoft still believe the Titanic will never sink...
>
> I have little hope that Adobe will listen to us. At this time only Flash
> on
> mobile phones is important because of the competition that Microsoft is
> giving
> them. CS3 was released as a beta version, CS4 as an alpha.
>
> I guess with CS5 for a mere 800 dollar upgrade their gonna send us a
> beautiful
> box

They may, in fact, be shipping Air 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great dialogue going on here on our precious Fireworks issue. Can someone from Adobe please post to this forum and tell us a fix is within 3 months away. I'd sure love to use this program!

http://nathanpitman.com/journal/567/an-open-letter-to-software-developers-re-adobe-fireworks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe still believes that if they just don't respond the problem will go away.

It is clear how you value your paying customers. Well, you lost one in me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note... This is a user-to-user forum, not a user-to-Adobe-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines