Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FW CS4 - BIG problems with text-engine!

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Just bought FW CS4 (Mac) and everything seems fine but... I'm having many odd problems with the new text-engine. It happens when I open CS4-saved documents or just by flipping through the pages in a document. The text moves position - it looks like the text-frame itself is placed away from the original area! This bothers me BIGTIME!! And when it occurs I can't see the real edge around the "moved" text! This takes much of my precious time to fix...

Is this a common problem on the Mac version?

TIA!

/Henriko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2009 Feb 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that it's a user forum. However Adobe does not respond to emails about this. Also the forum is on Adobe's site, so the least we can do is warn potentional customers.

If enough people do this and if sales start dropping maybe Adobe would actually look into this problem before CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2009 Feb 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow...this has been happening since October; It has by far the highest topic count and still it isn't even considered as a popular issue in Fireworks support. DO NOT BUY FIREWORKS CS4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an extention developer for Fireworks and the bugs with the implimentation of the Adobe Text Engine has cost me time and money porting my command panel from CS3 to CS4. Furthermore, it appears that there is a new method used internally by the application that calls a method called setTextStream() that is completely undocumented in the API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2009 Mar 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez. With all this complaining about a text issue, one could not help but feel like it's Microsoft Word we're talking about here. ;)

I wonder whether Fireworks is used for graphics at all anymore. Also wondering whether MS Word developers have to deal with so many complaints about bugs in its native image editing feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: SiamJai
Geez. With all this complaining about a text issue, one could not help but feel like it's Microsoft Word we're talking about here. ;)

I wonder whether Fireworks is used for graphics at all anymore. Also wondering whether MS Word developers have to deal with so many complaints about bugs in its native image editing feature.

I'm sorry? People do use Fireworks to make buttons for navigation, images with text call-outs, logos, and many other graphics where text is involved. Graphics includes more than just photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
I'm sorry? People do use Fireworks to make buttons for navigation, images with text call-outs, logos, and many other graphics where text is involved. Graphics includes more than just photos.

Lorraine, of course text is part of a normal Fireworks workflow. I simply find it perplexing how a text bug - a patchable one at that - could make Fireworks "totally unusuable" to some users. I'm using CS4 every day, presumably the same version that many others use, and my workflow is just fine - and yes, it frequently does include text, not only photos. :-)

The current temporary fix that Adobe has provided introduces a single additional click to the text workflow to realign all shifted text. Is that such a big deal that it's worth four pages of complaints? And it's saddening to see that by page four, the thread pretty much degenerated to 2-post users breaking into temper tantrums and all-caps threats.

Truth is, all that was needed to be said and reported has already been done. There are proper channels to convey grievances to Adobe directly, and this user-to-user forum is not one of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: SiamJai
quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor

Lorraine, of course text is part of a normal Fireworks workflow. I simply find it perplexing how a text bug - a patchable one at that - could make Fireworks "totally unusuable" to some users. I'm using CS4 every day, presumably the same version that many others use, and my workflow is just fine - and yes, it frequently does include text, not only photos. :-)

The current temporary fix that Adobe has provided introduces a single additional click to the text workflow to realign all shifted text. Is that such a big deal that it's worth four pages of complaints? And it's saddening to see that by page four, the thread pretty much degenerated to 2-post users breaking into temper tantrums and all-caps threats.

Truth is, all that was needed to be said and reported has already been done. There are proper channels to convey grievances to Adobe directly, and this user-to-user forum is not one of those.

This is the deal. The text bug is NOT the only bug. I had an entire web site prototype ready for export. Hours of work. The entire thing got corrupt on save. If the save command corrupts your work, then you better find an alternative solution to your work flow. Fortunately I had a backup, but I did lose some work and time.

Going on six moths, and still no patch? I could expect this kind of lagging progress from a small shop with two or three developers on hand, but from Adobe? This is embarrassing. I remember when Adobe used to stand for quality software, now, even Photoshop has it's glitches. I guess their is such thing as getting to big for your own good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost an interface designer on our UX team to Photoshop which disrupted our whole flow (comp to css/xhtml). Photoshop is nice but nothing beats Fireworks when it comes to designing interfaces. This issue is a HUGE problem though. Nothing is more frustrating than having all of the text boxes in a complex comp with multiple pages and layers all of the sudden shift the alignment on all of the text.

I created this website that tracks the current status of this bug.
http://www.istheadobefireworksalignmentbugfixedyet.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha! I love it @justinogarrity. Especially how the text is misaligned in the browser. Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2009 Mar 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@justinogarrity: how about adding counter of how much time passed since release of cs4 or start of this thread? I mean, cmon! 6 months? You got to be kidding me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had the problem of Text not working at all in Fireworks CS4? I can't do anything with type, and have reinstalled the product and it still won't work.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just new files...see how bad some of your older files get "horked-up" when you open them...it's almost comical. This is ridiculous. I want my money back and Fireworks CS3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2009 Mar 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a new one:

Opened an Illustrator CS4 file in Fireworks, everything seemed fine first.
I saved it as Fireworks PNG, and reopened.

Problem:
When I try to change any text, Fireworks jumps to the bottom of the screen, and the text dissapears. Properties panel still shows the text though it is not in the screen anymore. I have to delete all the text and recreate them inside the Fireworks.

It happens when:
- Select the text with pointer tool, and change any attribute, color, size, font
- Double clicking the text with pointer tool
- Clicking the text with the text tool.
- If text is in a group, changing attributes of other elements in the same group causes same thing. All texts in the group dissapears.

This is THE worst version of the Fireworks I have ever used. It should be in alpha phase if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the trial of Fireworks CS4. I definitely will NOT be recommending or purchasing it to anyone due to this text issue. I can't work for more than 10 seconds without having the text jump -- and at least 80% of the stuff I do is just text.

I guess it's back to Visio for me. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YetAnotherGjagiello wrote:
> I'm using the trial of Fireworks CS4. I definitely will NOT be recommending or
> purchasing it to anyone due to this text issue. I can't work for more than 10
> seconds without having the text jump -- and at least 80% of the stuff I do is
> just text.
>
> I guess it's back to Visio for me. :(

Or wait for the update to come out, which should be very soon if the
blog is anything to go by.

Dooza
--
Posting Guidelines
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
How To Ask Smart Questions
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How To Report A Bug To Adobe
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how many people with the same problem read all this and then don't bother replying. I was about to just close the page and thought, no, if people don't say they're annoyed by the same problem then it won't get fixed. So here's another disgruntled user, having upgraded from CS3 to CS4. Wasted ages yesterday with this stupid text bug. I'm amazed to find this thread on the forum this morning and see that it hasn't been fixed after six months or so. I guess Adobe know there's no real competition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The engineering team does not want to just post a "band-aid" for this problem. They are doing their best to create  a complete fix, and are working hard to do so.

See this post and keep an eye on it for the patch announcement.

http://blogs.adobe.com/sarthak/2009/03/fireworks_cs4_updater_work_in.html

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. HATE IT.HATEIT HATE IT.

See image, those text you see in the graphic have their "text box" really far away. And you can see it because I just did Select All. You only can select those texts if you click on them into the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

An updater is being planned for Adobe Fireworks CS4 which will address the text bounding box jumping issues. The issue of internal error on startup due to various reasons is also being targeted from this patch. The patch is in a soon to be released stage.

..Sarthak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update tomorrow!

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2009/05/fireworks_cs4_1003_updater_new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now available:

http://blogs.adobe.com/sarthak/2009/05/fireworks_cs4_update_1003011_i.html

--

Nadia

Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver

--------------------------------------------------

Unique CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles

http://www.DreamweaverResources.com

--------------------------------------------------

Book: Ultimate CSS Reference

http://www.sitepoint.com/launch/005dfd4/3/133

---------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/nadiap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All is quiet here

Hopefully, the fix did well for everyone, as it did for me on my two machines.

THanks Adobe

h

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines