Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash builder 4.7 not treating External linkage correctly

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am refactoring the project I am working to external link assets(flash assets), so I can load them on runtime.

This works in Flash builder 4.6 and you can observe a smaller .swf than if they are merged into code.

In FB 4.7 However it seems to ignore external linkage resulting in same size .swf as merged into code setting and I can run it fine without loading any external swf.

This seems to be yet another bug in FB 4.7 or its compiler, unless I am missing something.

Ps.

I am building the project with -frame parameter which seems to be the way to use a preloader with the new compiler:

see this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/4695625

The preloader is on frame 1, splash screens on frame 2 and 3 and rest of the project on frame 4.

Is this a known bug by any chance & or are there any ways around it.

I am using Asc2.0 Version 2.0.0 build 353448

Sincerely,

Ævar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no known bugs with using external linkage. I would create a link report and find the asset in there. The compiler may be generating a different name for the asset than before so I would check for that.

-Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the link reports for both FB 4.6 and FB 4.7.

In FB 4.6 one the external assets are correctly marked under  <external-defs>

While in FB 4.7 they are exported as if they were merged into code.

Note. When I build this with the new compiler using ant/mxmlc and

compiler.external-library-path property the results are what you would expect (i.e externally linked).

When I compare the FB 4.7 link reports between having the setting merged into code or externally linked, there does not seem to be very little difference, and no difference at all how the assets appear.

It seems that FB 4.7 is simply ignoring the setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the assets aren’t in frame1 I would expect them to be external. Could you provide some simple projects that demonstrate the problem so I can investigate?

Thanks,

-Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a demo project set up similar to the main project having the problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/154782/assetMultiProjectTestfield.zip

If you adjust the linkage on the directory ./export/normal/swc to external, on the web project it makes absolutely no difference. While in FB 4.6 or using ant build it is smaller and requires a swf to be loaded at runtime.

That being said, I am now in the process of seeing if the method we are trying to use will actually work, since the iOS packager refuses to make a release build if it cannot find the class definitions at compile time. 

The idea is basically that the compiler uses external linkage to flash assets, and then depending if the device is retina or not it loads the appropriate swf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in FB 4.7 with the "Add SWC Folder..." feature in the "Library Path" tab. As you noticed all the libraries, regardless of linkage, are reported to the compiler as being "Merged into code". The workaround is to use the "Add SWC..." feature to add each SWC individually and change its linkage to "External".

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Darrell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. This is a bit annoying since we are using about 50 asset .swc that we want to link externally.

Any estimates when a Flash builder 4.7 patch will be made available? Since this seems to be far from the only problem with it. I frequently go back to 4.6 or just ant/command line builds when I get frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines