• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running "Flex test drive" - Got error while attempting to connect to data service

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a Flex / Flash builder beginner. I downloaded the 60 days evaluation, and started to run the "Flex test drive" :

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/testdrive.html

My configuration :

XP SP3 PRO french edition

Tomcat 6.0

My local Eclipse :eclipse-jee-helios-SR2-win32 (but also got the issue on the Flash Builder Eclipse, which version is 3.4.0 (Generation ID M20090211-1700)

Flash Builder 4 with Eclipse plug-in

All on same PC

The Test Drive proposes examples in three technologies : Cold Fusion, PHP and Java. I'm doing the Java examples.

Installation of Flash Builder, as well as step 1 of the Test Drive (Build the user interface) went fine. I could run the project, which at the end of step 1 correctly displayed the UI in my browser.

Only one problem, I don't know if it is relevant for the rest of this post : I first got an error, saying that ports 8080, 8005 and 8009, requested by Tomcat, where used. After a short Google search, I fixed it by changing these ports to 8081, 8006, and 8010, in the Tomcat 6.0\conf\server.xml file.

The Test drive second step is "Connect to data". I found some discrepancies between the Test Drive doc, and what is displayed in Flash Builder. The Test Drive says :

"Use the Data menu and the Service Wizard to create a service for your application server. For ColdFusion and Java, specify the service file you put on your application server earlier (see Figure 9 for a PHP example). For Java, select the No password required check box, select the employeeService destination, and change the service package to services.employeeservice."

--> But there is no "No password required check box".

Also, when running the "Connect to data/service..." wizard, it was not at first completely clear what to choose. The proposed choices were :

• BlazeDS
  • ColdFusion
  • HTTP
  • LCDS
  • PHP
  • Web Service
  • XML

Since all others choices, when tried, declared to be unconsistent with my project's server type, I finally selected "Web Service".

In the next wizard's form, according to the Test Drive indications, I specified the URI of my EmployeeService class : C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\testdrive\WEB-INF\classes\services\EmployeeService.class

That defined correctly the other fields.

But when pressing the "Next >" button, Flash Builder issued the following error message :

ErrorMsg.jpg.

English translation : Unable to extract operations and entities from specified WSDL. Reason : an error occured while instrospecting the service.

And the full error text is :

An error occured while instrospecting the service. WSDLException: faultCode=PARSER_ERROR: Problem parsing 'file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%206.0/webapps/testdrive/WEB-INF/classes/services/EmployeeService.class'.: com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 2 of 2-byte UTF-8 sequence.

It is usually relatively easy to find fixes through Google searches, but this time, it didn't work. So here I am, expecting a bunch of wise answers from all the nice Flex / FB gurus that I'm sure haunt this forum .

Thanks and best regards.

Marc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those who would have the same problem, here is how I could eventually fix it.

Since the Flex Test Drive is sometimes out of sync with flash builder 4, I recreated a project using other help pages on Adobe site :

Entry point :

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Flex/4.0/AccessingData/WSbde04e3d3e6474c4-668f02f4120d422cf08-7ffd.html

As suggested, I used the New Project wizard to create a new project, with :

Application server type : J2EE

Check the radio button "Use remote object access service : BlazeDS"

Then, as indicated in following pages (section "Accessing BlazeDS")... :

file:///C:/Mes%20documents%20C/Commun/Developpement/Documentation/HT-Tracks/AccessingData/help.adobe...

...I selected the "Data / Connect to Data/Services..." menu option, which started the Data/service connection wizard.

There, I selected a BlazeDS (and not Web Services) service type, and everything went fine.

Suggestion to adobe staff : maybe it would be useful to update the Flex Test Drive to reflect Flash Builder 4 ?

Very nice product anyway, so far, congratulations...

Rgds

Marc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines