• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will there ever be a version beyond 4.7 of Flash Builder?

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if this sounds snippy but I am primarily a flex developer on the front end and c# on the backend. I have been waiting patiently for adobe to put out some news about an update to flash builder but haven't heard anything in the last couple of years. The last thing was the flash "roadmap" and that only says that Adobe will continue to support flash builder.

So, since there is no way to get in touch with anyone at adobe I'm posting here.

ADOBE, TELL US WHAT THE PLAN IS!!!

I am currently faced with a decision whether to continue with flex at all and in the absence of any news from Adobe I may have to quit my creative cloud subscription and go with Xamarin. While more expensive it also provides much more native functionality than flex and it isn't perpetually a rev behind. I also can use visual studio for tooling so I won't be waiting for and putting up with the shortcomings of an IDE that is never updated.

If Adobe cares to retain customers that are flex centric and not using flash pro to make games, they need to explain what the plan for the tool chain is. Otherwise guys like me who have been over a decade into flash platform will just leave.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so...

My problem currently: Flash Builder 4.7 (Win 64-bit) crashes every day and I think this will never change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Pro and Flash Builder are only 2 parallel ways, you can choose either to go, eventually, you'll also get something (game, web ...).

ps: I think Adobe don't publish FB version 4.8 because it reached threshold of the perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really doesnt make much sense.

My question is will there be a version beyond 4.7. To say you have to choose between flash pro and flash bulder is silly, I chose flash builder when it was flex builder v1, now I expect some support and upgrades/updates or a statement that it will not be supported. I PAY adobe for the right to this information. If they no longer see me as a customer, then I will stop being a customer.

And, to say its FB 4.7 is perfect is ridiculous, especially since many people such as jbenker, have many problems with stability on newer operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The last I heard it is done. They sold or gave (not sure which) the rights to the code to Welcome to The Apache Software Foundation!  Which was why the components were stripped from it. The remaining portion is part of flash pro so coding remained. They had an announcement about this but I don't recall all the details or the URL.

So take what I wrote with a grain of salt, I could have misinterpreted what they meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines