• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Flash Builder has 64-bit macOS version? (The real version)

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

app: Flash Builder 4.7

As we all know, 32bit is not supported any more on macOS 10.15. But Flash Builder claims it's a 64-bit app, labeled as "macOS(64bit)", but after I downloaded, it seems like it's still a 32-bit app.

I downloaded from https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-apps-download.html

which is actually labeled "macOS(64bit)", but when I start my installation, the following error occurs:(It says the app need to be updated, which seems like it's a 32bit version)

20191013195217.jpg20191013195725.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Hi there,

Unfortunately nvhdab is correct- you'll need to stay on 10.14 or below (Flash Builder’s system requirements specify 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 as the only officially supported versions). If you have to upgrade to Catalina, then we recommend investigating a third-party IDE, such as IntelliJ Ultimate which has both AIR and Flex support.

Hope this helps clear things up,
Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, after upgrading to Mac OSX Catalina (10.15), Adobe Flash Builder 4.7 icon appears with a white barred-circle.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 01.06.33.jpg

When trying to open it, the following alert appears:

You can’t use this version of the application Adobe Flash Builder 4.7.app with this version of macOS.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 01.06.40.jpg

Would greatly appreciate if someone from the community would indicate how to work this around without having to roll back to 10.14 or installing a VM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried modifying the Flash Builder .ini files to use Java VM 6 to no avail. As of now, the only option seems to roll back to Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using VSCode with the as3mxml extension. The thing is that it is also need to update to AIR33 because AIR32 still has 32 bit processes. With that AIR update you loose the ability to create 32 bit ipa and so loose support for older devices, though Harman seems to be working on putting that back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I believe adobe_licutil and maybe compile-abc are the problems. These could be 32-bit processes run by Flash Builder. Will this get fixed? As a larger question, does anyone know if Adobe plans to continue to support Flash Builder for future macOS and iOS releases?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Unfortunately nvhdab is correct- you'll need to stay on 10.14 or below (Flash Builder’s system requirements specify 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 as the only officially supported versions). If you have to upgrade to Catalina, then we recommend investigating a third-party IDE, such as IntelliJ Ultimate which has both AIR and Flex support.

Hope this helps clear things up,
Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Madison, 

In response to your "hope this clears things up" the answer is no it does not.

Adobe has yet again proved it can't be trusted - show me that I'm wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that .app binaries generated by FB are no longer supported on MacOS Catalina, is there any update coming up or potential workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe intend to update Flash Builder for MacOS Catalina? Or is Adobe not intending to do so, so we know what to do as developers.

For AIR Desktop Win & Mac applications it is a very viable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is possible actually. Despite what the unhelpful Adobe response is.

You'll need to do three/four things:

1) Get a version of JRE/JDK installed. I happened to have 1.8.0-77 so that's what I can confirm works for sure.

2) Follow this guide to get your Flash Builder to use the specific version of JRE. 

https://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2018/02/running-adobe-flash-builder-on-mac-with-java-78.html

3) This is likely optional, but I set mine up using a tool called jenv that allowed me to specify which JRE is used for Flash Builder. This allows the rest of the system to run on other versions.

4) Navigate deep down inside the Flash Builder application to launch the binary manually using Terminal. 

My Path: /Applications/Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4.7/Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4.7.app/Contents/MacOS

Once there run the binary like this: ./Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ 4.7

I was able to launch my workspace and even got a mobile debugger simulator running with my app. Not sure about exporting release builds and stuff, I do that using bash/ant scripts through TeamCity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can cofirm, this works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me with a lot of exceptions. 

$ java -version

java version "1.8.0_181"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

When tried to run the Flash Builder following the steps given, Catalina starts throwing the following alerts:

"adobe_caps.framework" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin.

Move to Bin | Cancel

..and a couple of more alerts pointing to different files. This doesn't look like an anti-virus involvement issue as I don't have any anti-virus installed on my system.

Choosing 'Cancel' for each alert, finally, it dumped a .log file and the process terminate:

https://paste.ofcode.org/33dzNA5mrrtJkdHiENTFBuV

Do you think this problem can be bypass in some way?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, absolutely cannot be bypassed. Catalina will not run 32-bit apps by any technique or trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shame how Adobe drop the IDE and its technology. Once a visionary inventor, now lives on monthly pension (subscriptions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user with the same problem here. And you know it's time to leave Adobe when you hear its employee tell us to use another third party IDE 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I observe, for what it's worth, that Flash Builder 4.7 reached end of life at the end of 2019. https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/support/programs/eol-matrix.html#EF That would seem to confirm that Adobe have no intention of doing anything; the team were probably disbanded long ago.

Will what it builds even work in a year when Flash Player goes away completely? This isn't a leading question, it's one I've tried to answer and can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could Adobe at least make FlashBuilder free to use now that it is almost useless? I have a license to use the Adobe creative suite for two coputers, but they both have Catelina installed, so if I want to set up an old laptop with a compatible MacOS for Flash Builder, I can't actually install it because of the Creative Suite restrictions. Seems like this would be an easy thing for Adobe to do that would not cost them anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe don't ever do that. (Give away old apps). They aren't likely to start now, just as they EOL Flash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines