• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endless NullPointerExceptions in Flash Builder 4.5

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Flash Builder 4.5 with Flex SDK 3.5B on Mac OS X 10.8.2 for a couple months. It hasn't been a perfect experience—the software has quite a few bugs—but in general it has been working until recently.

Our application includes two Flash Builder "projects", one of which references the other. Whenever we clone the repository, it is necessary to update the .project file of the primary project to include the new path of the secondary project.

The last thing I did before everything broke was move the folder containing the projects to a new location. As expected, when I opened Flash Builder, it complained that it couldn't find my project files, and they were all marked as inaccessible in the "Package Explorer" view. I did not remove the inaccessible projects from my workspace, but I attempted to re-import the primary project from its new location. This marked the first time I saw a dialog that has haunted me ever since:

'Building workspace' has encountered a problem. Errors occurred during the build. Details: Errors running 'Flex' on project 'configurator'. java.lang.NullPointerException

The "Problems" view told me to refer to the error log...

Errors (2 items): an internal build error has occurred. See the error log for more information.

...but the error log was empty!

The "Package Explorer" view didn't change (the new project wasn't listed) so I decided to just try the import again. When I selected the project directory, Flash Builder said I couldn't import it because the project was already in the workspace. "But the Package Explorer says it isn't... maybe it'll let me try again if I restart Flash Builder," I thought. I thought wrong. When I restarted, this is what I saw:

Could not create the view: an unexpected exception was thrown.

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.util.PathUtils.resolveLocaleInSourcePath(PathUtils.java:297)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.getProjectPath(ActionScriptProject.java:713)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.getSourceContainers(ActionScriptProject.java:681)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.content.FlexPackageExplorerContentManager.getSourceRoot(FlexPackageExplorerContentManager.java:644)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.getWorkspaceRootChildren(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:152)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.getChildren(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:80)
    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.inputChanged(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:449)
    [...]

It couldn't even display the list of projects so I could remove the one that was causing the issue. A similar message was displayed in the "Editor" view. Deleting all of the project's files didn't help either. I was unable to fix the workspace, and the only way I could continue to use Flash Builder was by creating a new workspace.

Since then, I have tried many different things:

• Reinstalled Flash Builder 4.5.
  • Reinstalled Flex SDK 3.5B.
  • Checked out a six-month old version of the project.
  • Upgraded to Flash Builder 4.6.
  • Created a new user profile on my computer.
  • Tried to remove whatever trace files might have broken things:
    1. Used Instruments to monitor all files the Flash Builder process touches.
    2. Uninstalled Flash Builder.
    3. Used find to locate any files that included builder or eclipse in their name.
    4. Deleted all files found in (1) or (3) that seemed possibly related to Flash Builder.
    5. Reinstalled Flash Builder.
  • Installed Flash Builder 4.5 on another Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.8.
  • Installed Flash Builder 4.5 in a Windows 7 VM.

None have made any difference. That seems impossible.

Other members of my team have been working on this project for a couple years without running into this particular issue, yet now versions of the project from before I started appear to be broken, and even using brand new installations of Flash Builder on entirely different systems also breaks.

I have no idea what's going on. It seems like I must have done something else and forgotten about it, because the current situation makes no sense. Has anybody encountered this issue before? Do you have any idea what might be causing it, or what I might do to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

We finally found a solution. It's rather anticlimactic.

Ignore all of the errors.

Import your project files and activate the correct SDK version in whatever order you want. If you end up with a messed up "Project Explorer" view, just close the view and reopen it, or restart Flash Builder.

Once the "Project Explorer" view is available, select your primary project and run it. It should work!

Nothing was actually permanently broken. The "Project Explorer" view may be in a temporarily unusable state if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about the issues. Are you getting the same error with Flash Builder 4.6? If not can you share the logs, I can check them and see if there are any workarounds that I can suggest.

Thanks

-Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried phone support yesterday, after making this post. The support representative eventually said that phone support is no longer offered for Flash Builder 4.5, but that I could email tier-2 support at platformt2-noida@adobe.com. However, when I tried to email my inquiry to this address, it bounced:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 No such user - psmtp (state 13).

Could you please tell me the correct email address for tier-2 support of this product?

Are you getting the same error with Flash Builder 4.6? If not can you share the logs, I can check them and see if there are any workarounds that I can suggest.

I'm afraid the same error happens in Flash Builder 4.6.

Here is the log from 4.5, anyway. Curiously, the log isn't written every time this happens, it often (seemingly at random) is left empty. When it is written, it includes the same stack trace from a NullPointerException as appear in the "Project Explorer" view when I restart.

!SESSION 2012-11-14 10:33:20.196 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=M20100909-0800
java.version=1.6.0_37
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -keyring /Users/jeremy/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments:  -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -data /Users/jeremy/Documents/Adobe Flash Builder 4.5-workspace-10 -keyring /Users/jeremy/.eclipse_keyring -consoleLog -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-11-14 10:33:21.522
!MESSAGE Warnings while parsing the commands from the 'org.eclipse.ui.commands' and 'org.eclipse.ui.actionDefinitions' extension points.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2012-11-14 10:33:21.522
!MESSAGE Commands should really have a category: plug-in='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui', id='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.OpenInfoCenter', categoryId='com.qnx.flashbuilder.multiplatform.qnx.ui.commands.category.help'

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2012-11-14 10:33:25.139
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred.  They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2012-11-14 10:33:25.139
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for COMMAND+SHIFT+F12:
Binding(COMMAND+SHIFT+F12,
     ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.ui.command.searchForTask,Search Repository for Task,
          Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.navigate,Navigate,null,true),
          org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.tasks.ui.search.SearchTaskHandler,
          ,,true),null),
     org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
     org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,,system)
Binding(COMMAND+SHIFT+F12,
     ParameterizedCommand(Command(com.adobe.flexbuilder.flashbridge.export.publish.movie,Publish Movie,
          Publish in Flash Professional,
          Category(com.adobe.flexbuilder.flashbridge.flashProCommands,&Flash Professional,null,true),
          ,,true),null),
     org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
     org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,cocoa,system)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2012-11-14 10:33:25.552
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16|localhost|*.localhost by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2012-11-14 10:40:04.073
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.NullPointerException)
     at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4083)
     at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3998)
     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:137)
     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3586)
     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3279)
     at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2640)
     at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2604)
     at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2438)
     at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:671)
     at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
     at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:664)
     at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.standalone.FlashBuilderApplication.start(FlashBuilderApplication.java:108)
     at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
     at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.util.PathUtils.resolveLocaleInSourcePath(PathUtils.java:297)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.getProjectPath(ActionScriptProject.java:713)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.getSourceContainers(ActionScriptProject.java:681)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.content.FlexPackageExplorerContentManager.getSourceRoot(FlexPackageExplorerContentManager.java:644)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.getWorkspaceRootChildren(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:152)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.getChildren(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:80)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.getElements(FlexPackageExplorerContentProvider.java:432)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.getRawChildren(StructuredViewer.java:989)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.getRawChildren(ColumnViewer.java:703)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.getRawChildren(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1332)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.getRawChildren(TreeViewer.java:391)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.getFilteredChildren(StructuredViewer.java:896)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.getSortedChildren(AbstractTreeViewer.java:601)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.updateChildren(AbstractTreeViewer.java:2581)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.internalRefreshStruct(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1867)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.internalRefreshStruct(TreeViewer.java:721)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.internalRefresh(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1842)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.internalRefresh(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1799)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.internalRefresh(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1785)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$7.run(StructuredViewer.java:1487)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.preservingSelection(StructuredViewer.java:1422)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.preservingSelection(TreeViewer.java:403)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.preservingSelection(StructuredViewer.java:1383)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.refresh(StructuredViewer.java:1485)
     at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.ColumnViewer.refresh(ColumnViewer.java:537)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorerResourceListener$ResourceUpdate.run(FlexPackageExplorerResourceListener.java:117)
     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
     at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
     ... 22 more

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2012-11-14 10:40:04.231
!MESSAGE Uncaught exception in compiler
!STACK 0
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.resolveSourcePath(ActionScriptProject.java:1597)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.ProjectSourcePathResolver.resolve(ProjectSourcePathResolver.java:43)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.MoxieConfiguration$AsProjectPathResolver.resolve(MoxieConfiguration.java:212)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMPathResolver.resolve(OEMPathResolver.java:37)
     at flex2.compiler.common.PathResolver.checkSinglePathResolvers(PathResolver.java:127)
     at flex2.compiler.common.PathResolver.resolve(PathResolver.java:54)
     at flex2.compiler.common.ConfigurationPathResolver.getVirtualFile(ConfigurationPathResolver.java:110)
     at flex2.tools.Compiler.processConfiguration(Compiler.java:605)
     at flex2.tools.Compiler.processConfiguration(Compiler.java:526)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMUtil.getApplicationConfiguration(OEMUtil.java:235)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMUtil.getApplicationConfiguration(OEMUtil.java:206)
     at flex2.tools.oem.Application.recompile(Application.java:866)
     at flex2.tools.oem.Application.compile(Application.java:681)
     at flex2.tools.flexbuilder.BuilderApplication.compile(BuilderApplication.java:354)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASApplicationBuilder$MyBuilder.mybuild(ASApplicationBuilder.java:319)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASApplicationBuilder.build(ASApplicationBuilder.java:129)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASBuilder.build(ASBuilder.java:198)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASItemBuilder.build(ASItemBuilder.java:70)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.buildItem(FlexProjectBuilder.java:575)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.build(FlexProjectBuilder.java:350)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexIncrementalBuilder.build(FlexIncrementalBuilder.java:187)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:629)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:172)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:203)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:255)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:343)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:144)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:242)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2012-11-14 10:40:04.251
!MESSAGE Uncaught exception in compiler
!STACK 0
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.actionscript.internal.ActionScriptProject.resolveSourcePath(ActionScriptProject.java:1597)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.ProjectSourcePathResolver.resolve(ProjectSourcePathResolver.java:43)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.MoxieConfiguration$AsProjectPathResolver.resolve(MoxieConfiguration.java:212)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMPathResolver.resolve(OEMPathResolver.java:37)
     at flex2.compiler.common.PathResolver.checkSinglePathResolvers(PathResolver.java:127)
     at flex2.compiler.common.PathResolver.resolve(PathResolver.java:54)
     at flex2.compiler.common.ConfigurationPathResolver.getVirtualFile(ConfigurationPathResolver.java:110)
     at flex2.tools.Compiler.processConfiguration(Compiler.java:605)
     at flex2.tools.Compiler.processConfiguration(Compiler.java:526)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMUtil.getApplicationConfiguration(OEMUtil.java:235)
     at flex2.tools.oem.internal.OEMUtil.getApplicationConfiguration(OEMUtil.java:206)
     at flex2.tools.oem.Application.recompile(Application.java:866)
     at flex2.tools.oem.Application.compile(Application.java:681)
     at flex2.tools.flexbuilder.BuilderApplication.compile(BuilderApplication.java:354)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASApplicationBuilder$MyBuilder.mybuild(ASApplicationBuilder.java:319)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASApplicationBuilder.build(ASApplicationBuilder.java:129)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASBuilder.build(ASBuilder.java:198)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.multisdk.compiler.internal.ASItemBuilder.build(ASItemBuilder.java:70)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.buildItem(FlexProjectBuilder.java:575)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.build(FlexProjectBuilder.java:350)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexIncrementalBuilder.build(FlexIncrementalBuilder.java:187)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:172)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:203)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:258)
     at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:311)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 2 2012-11-14 10:40:04.260
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.core.resources".
!STACK 0
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.BuilderUtils.copyDependents(BuilderUtils.java:438)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.build(FlexProjectBuilder.java:393)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 75 2012-11-14 10:40:04.272
!MESSAGE Errors occurred during the build.
!SUBENTRY 1 com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 75 2012-11-14 10:40:04.272
!MESSAGE Errors running builder 'Flex' on project 'configurator'.
!STACK 0
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.BuilderUtils.copyDependents(BuilderUtils.java:438)
     at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.FlexProjectBuilder.build(FlexProjectBuilder.java:393)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We finally found a solution. It's rather anticlimactic.

Ignore all of the errors.

Import your project files and activate the correct SDK version in whatever order you want. If you end up with a messed up "Project Explorer" view, just close the view and reopen it, or restart Flash Builder.

Once the "Project Explorer" view is available, select your primary project and run it. It should work!

Nothing was actually permanently broken. The "Project Explorer" view may be in a temporarily unusable state if you import the primary project first, or use the wrong SDK version, but as long as you eventually fix those things then the "Project Explorer" view will also be fixed the next time it's opened.

(This was cross-posted from .)

If you want to get rid of the Stack Overflow footer above, then instead please delete this entire thread. Per your site's Terms of Use, I may revoke your license to this content at any time by making it no longer shared. However, this forum software does not permit me to delete these posts, so that action must be taken by you. So, if you would like to remove the above message and logo, then I would like to revoke Adobe's license to this content and request that this entire thread be deleted. If you do not edit this post, then you may ignore this message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to know that you were able to proceed. If you can share the project (atleast the bare bones – by removing all the sources), we can try and reproduce the problem and fix the bug if it exists in the latest version.

Thanks

-Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines