• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash 10.2 Issue - YouTube Black Screen of Death!!

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer runs Windows 7, 64 bit OS, and FireFox.

The problem is that whenever I go to YouTube and try to watch a video, there is just a black screen where the video should be playing. Video and audio do not work.

Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my firefox browser, I went to Tools> Options> Advanced> Nework> Offline Storage, then click "Clear Now". I didn't restart firefox. Then I went to youtube again and I was able to get a couple videos to play. Not sure what's going on here. It seems like it's a sporatic thing.   I have no issues with this in Chrome or IE, Only Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact problem since early this morning.  I'm using Windows XP, and youtube looks exactly the same in both IE 8 and Firefox. I noticed it first in IE, so I tried switching to Firefox.  At first, it worked in Firefox, but after a few minutes it stopped.  Very strange.  I tried practically everything listed above but nothing works.  In the meantime I am using the JW Desktop Player, but it only works for some videos.  Not very reliable.  I also downloaded the DivX player, but that won't play any videos.

Does anyone else know of any other players (that play youtube videos) that I can try while I'm waiting for this problem to get fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello It is Wednesday 1:30pm eastern time here march 16 2011.

Having the SAME issue. It seems to be youtube. If all other website players are working yet not youtube. Then something is up. Either way what can be done?

I rebooted flash, Deleted caches, cookies, brownies and muffins and rebooted my computer. Only one video played then the next video the black rectangle with right clicking on the rectangle saying movie not loaded. What is the meaning behind this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now I am using yahoo youtube player. Go to yahoo then use that player on videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Youtube cookie seems to be in some way related to the Flash problems where the  video plays with a black screen and a fractured progress bar. In  Firefox if you go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Remove Individual  Cookies and delete the Youtube PREF cookie and then reload the page this  will usually allow the video to play. This doesn't work for everyone but it works for some people.

The cookie will be recreated so you have to keep deleting it over and over for each different video. Apparently this is a bug in Youtube's code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have latest adobe & ffirefox, ..tried ALL suggestions on this forum, firefox forum, youtube help....NOTHING WORKS . I am VERY angry!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTHING is working.

Why can't Adobe make a previous version available until this CRAP is FIXED??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to yahoo.com search videos under them. It is youtube under yahoo.com thats what I am doing at the moment. Yeah no comments viewable, but vids yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever Adobe updated on flash 10.2, they need to remove it. Or at least have the older version for people to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found out a "fix" of sorts.

Replace the http:// with https://

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAfTGbvhME&feature=related

I did have the black box as well, no video, sound, or anything. Doing this I was able to view everything just fine.

I originally had this issue on IE, and tested to FireFox, Safari, and Chrome with the same result.

Safari seems to have started working again on its own without the https as of right now.

I tested using https with IE, FareFox, and Safari and it does work.

I know this does not "fix" the issue. This seems to be a issue with the YouTube service itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

So far this is working for me in Firefox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha This actually has worked for me. But I do not want to have to always type an extra "s" in my address bar to view a video. As of now, I still cannot watch videos on YouTube on Firefox. But I did download the new IE 9, and it works on there. So I currently have IE open for YouTube and FireFox open for the rest of my internet needs. Very very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash aint working well with imageshack either, unless it used java which I doubt.

I get the same crap on youtube, black screen, turned HA off, still does it, deleted pref cookie, still nothing.

I think adobe released a dud with this one though, its going to be nice when flash aint required for anything but flash games.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same thing.  Flash is working on other sites but not YouTube.  Using Firefox and have Windows 7.  Tried uninstall, reiinstall, eliminating cookies (PREF) and other things and can't get it to work.  Just started happening today when I downloaded new version of Flash.  How do I get older version back so it works again until bugs gets worked out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem suddenly as well. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit, Mozilla Firefox, and Flash 10.2.

I tried restarting, uninstalling flash and plugins, and trying different browsers... all to no avail.

My mom's pc is able to run youtube fine.. and I was able to earlier today but then suddenly it stopped.

Any solutions? The links provided only seemed to apply to mac users am I correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update for everyone:

Strange... the one thing I forgot to do was clear my cookies/cache, and so I just did it and now things are looking okay... not sure how long it will last though!

The exact steps I did?

Once the problem arose:

Restarted computer

checked to make sure everything and all plugins were updated

then uninstalled flash and the plugin

re-installed flash

unchecked and rechecked the hardware accel

then finally just cleared cache and now it is looking good.

Maybe this will help someone else out.

EDIT:

Just messed around a bit more.. stopped working again. I will say though, I have 4 separate outube tabs open, maybe that has something to do with it I don't know... but a solution would be lovely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb, can you help these folks like you helped me?

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spin45, Chris Campbell who has posted on this thread already about the UNchecking of the hardware acceleration and updating the video driver is one of the first things. Also clearing the cache.

Review this Troubleshooting Guide that Chris posted. It has several things to try. This latest Flash Player has StageVideo and as far as I know only Youtube is using it. There appears to be a glitch, but exactly what I don't know. Chris has more experience with that. I've only read about it on the Adobe sites. The following is for all platforms.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

A point about those using Win7 or IE9(final vs released 3/14). One of the features is called ActiveX Filtering. Win7 updated with a Service Pack 1. This Filter is included and now is with IE9 also.

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/features/activex-filtering

Now for those that have a different OS, if you had no problem with the previous version of Flash Player, which is 10.2.152.26, you can Uninstall your current & Install that.

Make sure you have Security set to Medium for the Internet Zone (Tools>Internet Options)

Of course make sure your Shockwave Flash Object is Enabled in IE addons/Shockwave Flash likewise for FF.

That's all I have at the moment.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

Thanks for taking the time to help out these folks.

Now that you've established a "rep" you're going to have to live up to it.

I'll talk to you next time around.

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spin, Ha-Ha Well until Adobe came out with this latest release my "Rep" was in tact:-) Of course MS isn't helping either with their ActiveX Filtering. I just hope that isn't turned On by default. I know it's all about Security, but hey, how about an instruction sheet? At the very least, email those that Install it. Well, no one listens to me. Guess we'll just have to work it out:-)

Users don't really understand how many varibles there are that can cause FP to act up/not work.

Glad you solved yours. Hey, are you having issues with youtube? I'm not. Just can use 360p or 420p, but with my older workhorse that's expected.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

No, not having any trouble with You Tube now.  Everything shows up.

The thing that really puzzles me is Adobe.  Here, all these folks are using their web site for this forum and Adobe apparently ignores the problems their customers are having.  You would think that they would have someone on their payroll get involved to assure the users that they are aware of the problems they have caused and are working to fix them.

I think what I will do is contact the corporate office and see if anyone will talk to me about this You Tube issue.

Anyway, eidnolb, I see by the number of your responses you've been doing this a long time.  I'm glad we have some folks out there like you to help us who are not so technical.

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spin45, I see we're on Page2. I think we'll just call this the "Youtube" thread. I demand to know why you are not having a problem with Youtube!!!!! LOL

I understand where you are coming from, but you didn't miss Chris Campbell on this very thread did you? He has the red Adobe Employee Avatar. He has been very very helpful on the Flash Player Forum. I must say that as long as I have been here, I don't recall ever seeing an Adobe Employee here before. There has been another Adobe Employee also helping, but not as much as Chris.

Those that can investigate this issue are doing everything they can and are working with Youtube almost around the clock. Sometimes a lot goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about. But be assured, there is a Flash Player Team working on this very issue.

They have been encouraging users that are having these problems to provide documentation with this:

Troubleshooting and Reporting Flash Player Video Issues  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

That site includes all Platforms also. If there is anyone wanting a solution more than the users, it is Adobe. Well, and me:-)

We've been so busy, I need an assistant. (kidding) If one of my sisters knew how to clean my email(over 1,000 notifications)

I'd be grateful, Ha-Ha

Take care,

eidnolb

I wonder if the Flash Player Team would be interested in documenting those that AREN'T having any problems with Youtube?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb,

I just got off the phone with a gentleman from Adobe out in Calif.  He did return my call, which quite frankly, surprised me.  We had a long conversation regarding the Flash forum as well as the Flash product itself.  The bottom line...he was not from the Flash team but he is going to talk to that group to see if someone can get involved with this Flash forum to help determine solutions to the problem.  He was nice and he acknowledged that there have been a good number of folks that got affected by the You Tube video problem.  He said that they are working on a fix for the Flash but he is not sure when it would be released.  He did add that if Firefox is working OK when the release comes out, he would recommend not to upgrade.

Anyway, I'm really sure if my call made any difference, I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spin, Hey you are doing a good job!! Sounds like you were able to talk to someone that was helpful too. Yes, that he returned your call is amazing in itself. I'm sure they are very busy, as they had about a 6hour outage I think on Monday or Tuesday. Plus all of the Flash Forum Server issues.

That was good to hear that Adobe is working on a fix. I think Youtube also will be doing one since StageVideo is surely involved.

You said: He did add that if Firefox is working OK when the release comes out, he would recommend not to upgrade.

Do you mean FF? or the Flash Player fix?

Thanks for that info, sounds good to me. At least we know those that can fix this issue are on top of it:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eidnolb, he meant if Firefox is working OK with the video playback at You Tube, then he would let the update to Flash go by the way side.

As to Adobe being on top of it, I hope you are right.  He sounded as though they had people looking into the issue I just hope he was not blowing smoke.  I'll keep watching Adobe's web site and see if anything is announced to the general public.

By the way, I did toot your horn a little bit.  I said that there was an individual that always was trying to help and he had been at Adobe forums and responded more than 9,000 times.  His response was, "That's why the forum is good so that folks can help each other."  He also added that it would be way too expensive for Adobe to provide free support for the items that Adobe does not charge for, like Flash.  At that point I suggested that if Adobe can't support the free items they issue to the public/their customers, maybe Adobe shouldn't provide it.  Then he said that his folks will support the software and they are working on some fixes right now.  Like I said, he seemed concerned so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines