• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe flashplayer update installs mcafee crapware

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated flash player and these adobe installed macafee crapware without even asking!!!! How can they do that? Why would they do that? Why do they want to piss off someone especially a customer! They have made me a totally RELUCTANT customer now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

No the download and install starts immediately. see http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/ when embedded:

Where can I send the invoice for the half an hour lost deinstalling the crap!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm - this update WILL install crapware.

I am very disappointed in Adobe - this is the kind of stupid trick microsoft will do.

Made the mistake of buying Creative Suite -

I'm no longer insterested in supporting this kind of company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening. Absolutely invidious and unneccessary. Are Adobe's profits so low that they have to resort to allowing crap software piggybacking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the Adobe download presented to me today, instead of offering mcafee it offered to install the chrome search bar on internet explorer. I unticked this feature and was presented with the file install_flashplayer11x32axau_gtbd_chrd_dn_aih.exe which I downloaded and installed. As I deselected the offer I only installed adobe update only. mcafee was not installed as part of the base file. Thus my PC is still mcafee free as confirmed by the windows 'programs and features' viewer.

As each adobe update is offered to me I always check the options and then I check if mcafee is already on my PC and take screen shots of the downloaded file name to keep in control of what is being download (once bitten twice shy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company statement is sensible and relevant on offering McAffee software to a user for which they will pay a price.  Why not make it clear that there will be a charge for the full volume of their antivirus software for best protection and why not switch to offering the consumer the chance to the check the box RATHER THAN UNCHECK THE BOX for acceptance.  The statistics would clearly show many users are blindsided into McAffee and it takes control of their computer.  Getting it reversed is a nightmare.  Adobe is an admirable company and this marketing idea is not dishonest.  Why "fool" your loyal customers this way.  The marketing reminder that could switch a user to McAffee happens everytime there is an Adobe software update, I think.  And by the way there are better anitvirus programs available however that is subjective.  Please apply common sense to the marketing and make it easier to say no to McAffee.  Personally I think their products suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted my post yesterday, because my screen captures had not been included when I saved the message, and I had not saved the pictures. However, since then I have been getting email updates every time someone posts. Therefore, I feel the necessity to say something about this issue.

The fact that you are missing Chris is that we are not clicking the download button on the adobe.com/flashplayer/update/plugin/ page. On my desktop I recieved the automatic update notice, and when I clicked the download button on that notification, I went driectly to the second link above, and windows opened it's dialog asking me whether or not to allow the program to run.

Now it is possible that the first web page also opened and was in the background, but I never saw it.

However, later I was on one of my co-workers computers and trying to help her get Flash Player. Having been through this earlier I was careful to watch what was happening and the same thing happened in that she went directly to the second link above. I stopped the download because I wanted to get screenshots, and then page reverted to the first link, as if it had been open in the background.

Clearly there is something wrong with the initial links or the launcher which is making it occur automatically, without being prompted. I would suggest that you start testing on more computers and different setups to try to find the reason some people are experiencing this issue, rather than assuming we all just missed the check box and clicked away uncaringly.

If I could get my PC to return to the state it was in Monday before I arrived at work, and then have the update notification return, I would show you that I did not have the opportunity to deny the McAfee download.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FTK_flashdev - I'm very interested in what happened.  Would you be willing to send me your browser history (or just the section around the time your updated)?  Did you and your colleague both have the same OS and browser?  I've never seen the first page automatically forward the user to the second, so I'll talk with the team to see if this was ever seen in testing.

If your up for it, I can help you get the system back in the state it was (at least with Flash Player) so we could do a reenactment over a desktop sharing session.  If this is something you (or anyone else who's running into this) is willing to do, shoot me an email at ccampbel@adobe.com and I'll schedule something at your convenience.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris thanks for editing my post (number 37) and removing the link to the pdf, I have also deleted the pdf file on my server. Like FTK_flashdev I could not upload screenshots into my mail, thus the only alternative was the file on my server. As you realise I was only utilising your link which you have edited out of your email.

@bradleykronson - my pdf was the proof that the first link from Chris DID install mcafee and was NOT a recommendation to repeat the proof.

@FTK_flashdev states QUOTE "The fact that you are missing Chris is that we are not clicking the download button on the adobe.com/flashplayer/update/plugin/ page. On my desktop I recieved the automatic update notice, and when I clicked the download button on that notification, I went driectly to the second link above, and windows opened it's dialog asking me whether or not to allow the program to run."UNQUOTE

This is the very same way that I (SquirelJuice) believe it happened to me...

As I have installed mcafee twice on this machine, I will be sending my email address to Chris to take advantage of his offer in message 42.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I just want to join in with the complaining.  I have had to spend a LOT of time dealing with the havoc caused by the McAfee piggyback.  FYI: I have W7 and the Flash update initiates without launching any web browser windows (I have checked my history).  It shows up as a popup from the lower right corner.  There was a couple of times where the popup included the McAfee checkbox, which I promptly unchecked, but this latest, fateful time, it did not.  I agree with the previous poster, who stated that the default should be an opt-out, with the option of opting-in.  I have never liked the McAfee suite, due to its negative interactions with legitimate software that I use, and I have chosen other malware protection for this reason.

McAfee indiscriminately disabled all the services on my computer that connect to the internet, so I could not get any program that require online license verification to work (many of the more expensive programs, such as AutoCAD and Adobe applications use this to prevent piracy).  Of course, they do not tell you that this is the reason, when they refuse to launch.  So I was sent down the rabbit hole of troubleshooting.  Autodesk's suggested solution was to uninstall and reinstall!!!  Fortunately, I finally found the fix on the Adobe website: enable all the disabled services using Windows' services.mcs.  Anyway, where do I send the bill for lost time? 

Furthermore, it disabled my online file backup!  How is that supposed to be a security improvement?!?! 

You should reconsider associating your brand with McAfee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cshengineer - thank you for the feedback.  I've forwarded this along to the team responsible so they can investigate the issues you had with McAfee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed adobe on my computer and mcafee has installed with it

can you tell me is this safe? or is it some kind of Spyware or what? if its spyware i am gonna be annoyed, i don't want some creep spying on my shit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kaseydean123 - It is safe.  If you'd like to remove it, simply uninstall via the normal add/remove programs method in the Windows control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this is an issue that won’t go away. it just happened to my mac running fire fox. I got it from this link. //get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Mac_OS_X_10.6_-_10.8&os=OSX&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Firefox&type=au&browser_vers=19 I removed the https to disable the link but it takes you right to the down load page. Friends have had issues with fake adobe update sites so I did some research first before down loading.

If this IS one of those sites that bundles mcafee and your company supports this I have to say your company is going off a cliff. I have used mcafee and symantic products since the early 90's and I avoid them at all costs with many good reasons. This partnership will have Adobe on that list in weeks at this rate.

If you abuse your customers you are begging for a challenge from the open source market. A headache in competition I'm sure your company wouldn’t like.

This seems to me as if Adobe really doesn’t care about the time it or its collaborators wastes of it users. If you look at the number of hours of grief this has caused your users in this thread alone you wouldn't be trying to explain how we messed up by not clicking a specifically hidden option box and STOP using this practice.

I have managed a call center dealing with customer service issues and over all your skills with communicating with upset customers is quite good but if I may offer a bit of advice to remember:

"the customer is not always right but they are always the customer"

It seems your customers have a legitimate issue and that Adboe has no plans to stop people using this practice in their name. This is disgraceful.

Only because I don’t trust Adobe did this not burn me. Please think about the ramifications of losing your customers trust it wont be long before you lost them completely. If you don’t address this core issue of the trustworthiness of your down loads you will not last much longer and that would be a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT, 

McAfee

Free! McAfee Security Scan Plus check the status of your PC security

Why the auto opt-in???????

This has been going on for years.  It is a shame that Flash is so insecure that updates come so frequently, and EVERY TIME we have to look out for and OPT OUT of this crapware install.

Has it not yet got to the stage where 'commercial advantage' has turned into  'commercial loss' because of these underhand tactics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help Chris, I hope the following helps.

This is the link I was directed to straight from the updater.

https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers&os=Windows...

This is the file it downloaded.

install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_au_aih.exe

When I launch the file, it automatically starts downloading McAfee with the update.  I cancelled the process.  Hopefully this can be resolved soon.  Also, your advice to do a clean install was a good idea.

Thanks again Chris, and good luck with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  That link will definitely cause the install to include McAfee.  However, the updater should have first directed you to a page like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to uninstall mcafee now over 20 times. I was allowing users to do their own flash updates (my bad? I didn't think Adobe would be spreading crapware) Now I have to block Adobe flash updates from my users? Good job adobe, the first so-called reputable software maker to start bundling crapware into your updates. Hope the $$$ macafee paid you was worth losing all credibility. Maybe Apple's got the right idea looking for alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone from Adobe please explain exactly how the McAfee software is critical to the fuctioning of Flash Player.

Making the rash assumption that it isn't actually either critical to the finction or even a part of some obscure optional functionality within Flash player, can Adobe please explain (and do so convincingly) exactly what the hell it is doing bundled with Flash player?

If it's something that is really so knee tremblingly good, why the hell aren't people queuing up, asking where they can get it purely on its own merit - Or is it actually so rubbish that it needs to be promoted in this way?

If Adobe insist that they really do want to bundle unrelated, unnecessary and largely unwanted applications with their product, can Adobe please explain exactly why its installation is enabled by default.

At the moment Adobe are behaving precisely like any other purveyor of malware: the product is completely unnecessary, irrelevant and almost universally unwanted and its installer defaults to making changes to the victims PC unkess the victim takes steps to avoid it. That is a malware action pure and simple. End of.

Adobe - please stop acting like you are some kind of malware pusher.

it is not nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McAfee (and Google toolbar/Chrome) are not critical to the functioning of Flash Player.  These are optional installs and we do state this on the download page.

I understand how you feel.  I've passed this along to our team and will continue to do so.  The fact is that these offers help offset the development costs for Flash Player (which is provided for free).  I hear your request to make this an opt in, instead of opt out, offer and I'll also make that clear to the team. 

If you've opted into our "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)" update mechanism, you will only receive this notification with major releases.  You are not obligated to click the download button in the Flash Player update dialog.  Dismissing the dialog will allow you to continue to use Flash Player as you have been.  You will automatically and silently receive the Flash Player update after 30 days of it's release, or sooner if a "zero day" security update is made available.  This silent update will not include any additional software nor prompt you to install third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After stupidly allowing flash to update I found McAfee installed on my machine. Ugh.

I've now removed McAfee (I think) and I have removed every little bit of Flash I could find.

I'll think twice before I give Adobe any more money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"McAfee (and Google toolbar/Chrome) are not critical to the functioning of Flash Player.  These are optional installs and we do state this on the download page."

OK, fine. Why is the install of software that is a) irrelevant and b) unnecessary, enabled by default?

I would say that it is the install is default and it is the non-installation which is optional, but that's largely semantics.

If the McAfee and Google toolbar/Chrome are truly optional, why the blazes does Adobe have the brass neck to assume I will want to install bundled software that is irrelevant and unnecessary.

Surely, if McAfee and Google toolbar/Chrome are REALLY that good (And especially the McAffee toolber) then surely people would be seeking them out and downloading, on their own merits.

Onthe other hand, could it be that the software is largely crap and Adobe is getting a greasy back-hander if they manage to stiff a few poor saps with unwanted installations?

Malware is as malware does. Pure and simple. The Adobe installer is set to perform unnecessary, unwanted and irrelevant actions and to do so by default. That is malware. End of.

Please stop acting like a scummy malware pusher.

If you think assuming deploying irrelevant addons is OK, so long as the punter makes a specific action each and every time, how about this: Each time I contact Adobe I'll assume that Adobe are happy for me to park my car at their London offices for free, unless I have a specific reply to the contrary each time I make that assumption.

You do it to me; I'll be pleased do it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, AGladys and others here, for these eloquent little catharses. I don't have time this morning to do my own fuming about sleazy sneak-it-past-the-dumb-schmucks practices like Adobe's McAfee scam, but I installed a Flash update a few minutes ago and got mad all over again. Adobe is a big company, right? It produces sophisticated software costing thousands of dollars, so that many would-be users, like me, can't afford to buy it whether it's industry-standard stuff or not, right? Hey, go capitalism. But why, oh why, does Adobe routinely add insult to that particular injury by trying to get me to unintentionally download problematic software I do not want? Do you think anyone at Adobe can keep a straight face when they say "Well, it's only a tiny little optional thing and we clearly warned you about it in little print up there somewhere," especially if they then get to propose the "I'd recommend leaving the 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)' option checked" as a solution? Do actual human beings say that stuff? If so, do they sleep at night? Right, Adobe. You're perpetually trying to underhandedly do things to our computers that we don't like; we should give you complete control of update installations too and just shut up and be happy.

I think Adobe has become infected with whatever makes Microsoft insist so relentlessly that only Microsoft -- certainly not you! -- can properly manage your computer. Guess I'm fuming again here anyway. But shouldn't we be rising up or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY THE HELL IS FLASHPLAYER INSTALLING ANTI VIRUS SPYWARE CRAP ON MY PRODUCTION PC?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My one regret, AnotherAGladys, is that I have but one Yes vote to give you on the Was This Helpful question. You have justifiably excoriated Adobe over this issue with such precision that there is little left to say about it, but I would still encourage people to speak up about how ANGRY they are about this until Adobe finally gets the message that infuriating customers for a few bucks slung their way from McAlware is not a reasonable trade for their long term survival.

I just received a prompt to update Flash Player. Now I recall that in days of yore you were notified when an update was available (which it was oh so very often with the unstable bugfest that is Flash Player), you would select the option to update it if you wanted to, and you're away. (I always rejected the "give us the keys to your system and let us do things in the background that you don't know about" option.) But with this one I have to save an install file to do it. That's AFTER I'm asked about installing the McAffee cr@pware, which is on by default. Why the difference? I suppose that the "Yes, yes, yes, I want the McAlware product that I voted with my wallet against using to be installed on my PC in the hope that it will stuff up my existing anti-virus software" dialog is part of it.

Of course Adobe isn't the only one pulling this, Oracle and its magical viral Java machine (which I'd turn off completely if it were not for a couple of essential programs that I use needing it) does exactly the same thing every time it does an update (even more frequently than Flash Player and for the same reason) as well. I have no idea how much McAlware is paying these guys, but as I said, angering the user base for a few bucks is hardly a good move strategically.

I used to really like Adobe as a company, but between the unconscionable rip-off in Australian software pricing, the disgusting change to their upgrade policy which now reads "buy every version or else", and now the attempt to flick some bloatware that I don't like, need or want onto my system in the event that I'm not paying attention, Adobe is really, really getting up my nose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all this happend to me too!

Second I must say that this is the most stupid thing I´ve ever heard:

Chris Campbell wrote:

If you've opted into our "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)" update mechanism, you will only receive this notification with major releases.  You are not obligated to click the download button in the Flash Player update dialog.  Dismissing the dialog will allow you to continue to use Flash Player as you have been.  You will automatically and silently receive the Flash Player update after 30 days of it's release, or sooner if a "zero day" security update is made available.  This silent update will not include any additional software nor prompt you to install third party software.

It's like recommending people to use automatic updates and then telling them "No no no, don´t do that you should have known our automatic update suck!" Well, at least your right, it do suck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, for those of us who are sick and tired of the nasty little scumware marketing antics of Adobe and McAfee, how do I turn off "Install Updates" in Adobe fllush player, or do I need to remove/reinstall (Assuming I can't find another product by someone else)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines