• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic information on Flash Killer / "kill-bit"

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2011 Jan 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has a method to easily disable certain ActiveX controls, using a "kill-bit".  It is documented at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240797

The "kill-bit" for Flash Player is documented in http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/190/tn_19091.html

What does that mean?

Flash Player may not be working on Internet Explorer, and the 'Shockwave Flash Object' add-on may not show up at all.  Most likely because the FP ActiveX has been "kill-bited" by some anti-malware app.

How to check and remove the "kill-bit"?

WARNING!  Fiddling with the Windows Registry may render Windows or installed components unusable.  Always make a registry backup or a System Restore Point before attempting to manually change anything in the registry!

• open the registry editor: Start | Run | type regedit.exe
  • navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
  • if that key does not exist, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player is not set
  • if it contains a DWORD entry with the name Compatibility Flags that has any value other than 0x00000000, then the "kill-bit" for Flash Player may be set
  • to remove the "kill-bit" do any of the following
    • change the value from 0x00000400 to 0x00000000 (right-click | Modify | change value data to 0)
    • or delete the registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}) completely
  • close the registry editor when done

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we had another user that had this Kill-bit on 1/25/11 and used your info, I am bumping this up.

Thanks Pat, good info & idea!!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have copied the info from this topic into the sticky "Reader this before you post" article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3432049#3432049, so we don't need to bump this any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the "kill-

bit" to zero fixed my problem.

I entered a seperate post to Flag this fix. It may not solve everyone's problem, but it solved mine.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a PM discussion with eidnolb I realize that it was not the best recommendation to ask users to modify their Windows registry.  There are indeed safer ways to update registry information.

The easiest would be if I could upload a .REG file as an attachment, but forum attachments are still disabled.  Therefore the next best thing is to have users create, then execute a .REG file.  Or download the zipped .REG file at the bottom of this post from my own website.

Do the following:

1. open Notepad
  2. select and copy the three (four, if counting the blank line) lines below, then paste them into the Notepad window
  3. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]
    "Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000
  4. save the Notepad data as Remove_kill-bit or similar (to the Desktop, or My Documents), then close Notepad
  5. right-click on the saved file, then rename it to Remove_kill-bit.reg
  6. double-click on the renamed file to execute it
  7. when you get a pop-up "Are you sure you want to add the information ... to the registry?" click [Yes].

Alternatively you can download a zipped version (Remove_kill-bit.zip) from this attachment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have entered a Feature Request to add the removal of the "kill-bit" registry key to the Flash Player uninstaller.

Issue: https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-6266

The "kill-bit" removal has been added to the 10.3 installer.

Message was edited by: ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines