• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I prevent flash player installer dialog on non-administrative users?

Participant ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User emailed the help desk today and it says "Adobe Flash Player 11.9 Installer".

"The installation encountered errors:

You must have administrative privileges to install Adobe Flash Player.  Please log on with administrative privileges and try again".  They clicked Quit, the only button, but they asked what should they do if they encounter this again?

What can we do so regular users out in our field (150 or so) are never bothered with this nasty message?  She stated this appeared after she logged into her computer. 

We are getting out of the practice of running end users as Local Administrators.  While it is quite a painful transition, the added security benefits outweigh the additional work required for us to support such a fundamental change in our environment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

It appears your user received a notification to update the outdated version of Flash Player.  Since you're users are non-Admin and Admin permissions are required to install, I recommend disabling notification auto-updates on the system and managing updates to your users via some other method.  To disable auto-updates, edit the mms.cfg file as follows:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

The file is located at:

• Win 32-bit: \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
  • Win 64-bit: \Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash
  • OS X: /Library/Application Support/Macromedia

Note that disabling updates in this manner also disables background updates, if you have opted into background updates.  The Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player | Adobe Developer Connection contains several strategies for deploying and updating Flash Player outside of notification auto-updates.

11.9 is quite old and is not being updated with security releases, leaving your users vulnerable to security threats.  Unless there's a compelling reason to keep your users on 11.9, I highly recommend updating Flash Player to either the latest release (currently version 16) which receives regular feature updates, bug fixes, and security fixes; or the Extended Support Release (currently version 13) which receives only regular security updates, no feature updates or bug fixes. 

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.

I did find by running a batch file at login I can also remove the scheduled task for the update.

SchTasks /Delete /TN "Adobe Flash Player Updater" /f

del /f "C:\Windows\tasks\Adobe Flash Player Updater.job"

There isn't really a business need for some of the end users surfing the internet to flash sites.  We do have a webfilter and that does help mitigate risk, as well as AV protection and soon Dell endpoint protection.

On our 2015 project plan we do have a line item to address the timely patching of 3rd party programs like Flash, Reader, Java, etc..

From my project list for 2015:

• Deploy an automated third party patch management solution for non-Microsoft products. (Will need to create a POLICY for this item. Suggested vendors include Shavlick; Patch Link; Dell/Kace for non-MS products)

Thank you for your assistance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

The task you saw is for the Background Updater.  The Background updater does not require Admin permissions to install Flash Player.  It runs completely in the background without user interaction.  The behaviour you originally described (pop-up notification upon login) is for a notification update, which does require Admin permissions to install.

Flash is prevalent on may sites.  Even if the users aren't intentionally visiting sites with Flash they could visit a page that has Flash content.  Since 11.9 is installed, and it has not been updated, it leaves the system vulnerable.  You may want to update to the latest version and then disable updates for everyone by deploying the mms.cfg file with AutoUpdateDisable=1 to all systems.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked this system and in bopth System32 or syswow64, there is no mms.cfg file, so maybe this version predates that way of configuring.  I found the other method on another website where people said it worked, so thats where I figured that out.

We will try to do an update at some point when we can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines