• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.2 Crashes Browser

Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We have a large flash application and can confirm that the new FP 10.2 causes the browser to crash when running our application.

We can confirm the following:

- It crashes on a fresh install of Windows 7, running Chrome [* see crash log]

- It crashes on a Mac (Safari, Chrome, FF)

- It crashes on Linux (Chrome, FF, Opera)

- It crashes on Windows 7, XP, Vista (IE, FF, Chrome)  [** another crash log]

- Turnnig hardware accelleration on | off does nothing (might slightly increase the time in our app before the crash)

- The same app does not crash with previous versions of the Flash Player

- The same app does not crash with the debug player of FP 10.2

We thought that perhaps the crash was due to our app using too much memory and being kicked off by the Flash Player's new 'out of memory' feature: "Out-of-memory management

Automatically prevent out-of-memory browser crashes by shutting down instances where a SWF file attempts to allocate more memory than is available on the device."  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/features/

But this feature has been around since FP 10.1, so that does not explain the problem.

Another suggestion was this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/789403

Not very useful because we have thousands of lines of code and countless switch statements.

Adobe, what is going on? I've traweled the Flash Player forum & there are lots of questions being asked about version FP 10.2, but no useful answers or responses from your team?

[* Crash Log]

Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d533e9f

Faulting module name: gcswf32.dll, version: 10.2.154.12, time stamp: 0x4d4bb77d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003b9ef7

Faulting process id: 0x950

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd140681ac02

Faulting application path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Users\cybert\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\9.0.597.98\gcswf32.dll

[** another crash log]

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16722, time stamp: 0x4d0c2f29

Faulting module name: Flash10m.ocx, version: 10.2.152.26, time stamp: 0x4d4b5d09

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x003c2637

Faulting process id: 0x13d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbcd13de16cd56

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10m.ocx

Report Id: 2c2a3ab5-3908-11e0-80fd-00238b5cbd82

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RibbyP wrote:

If I might ask, what is the difference between flash 10.2 player and flash 10.2 debug player?

Hi RibbyP,

Flash 10.2 debug player is what flash developers generally use for two reasons:

1) You can debug it from your IDE

2) It also prints exception stacktraces, this can be used to notify the flash swf developers of the exact problem and help them fix it.

However the Flash debug player can be slower than the standard one...

You can download it from here : http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Flash 10.2 standard player everyone else uses does not come with this feature overhead

And you download it from here : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

As for the reason why this specific bug does not accur on the debug client, only Adobe will know :-).

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our wishes may have just been granted. Adobe has released today Flash Player 10.3 Beta on Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer10-3/

I hope it resolves the problems we had with FP10.2. I will install it and see how it goes.

Regards,

Hassan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulation for your hardihood Elousami... hope this won't destroy your pc or even worse your home

I'm joking of course... we will wait your response.

Thanks in advance

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sergio, I can confirm that my house still stands alas I can't say the same about FP 10.3 which for me still shows the same symptoms as FP 10.2 when playing certain videos (FP crashes).

If you installed FP 10.2 or 10.3 just take a look at the video in the following link :

http://www.creativeedge.com/9780132480512

I can play the video with FP 10.1 in Firefox 3.6, Firefox 4 beta and Google Chrome 10.0.648.127 beta, but when I try to play it with FP 10.2 or FP 10.3, I get " The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed"... (the video is a crash course on Flash Catalyst see the irony ??)

If you are a user I think that you would be tempted to install FP 10.1 to see the course. If you are a developer, then you have to make a choice : the video or the new features in FP 10.3 (esp. the new Media measurement feature) + inhanced security.

I will keep FP10.3 for the moment to try the new features and watch the course on Flash Catalyst on Lynda.com instead.

Regards

Hassan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hassan,

I just tried this video with FP 10.2.152.32 and FF 3.6.13 on Windows 7 but didn't run into any problems.  Do you think this could be video driver related?  Do you have the latest drivers installed?  Does it matter if you disable hardware acceleration in the Flash Player settings?

Thanks,
Chris

elousami wrote:

Thanks Sergio, I can confirm that my house still stands alas I can't say the same about FP 10.3 which for me still shows the same symptoms as FP 10.2 when playing certain videos (FP crashes).

If you installed FP 10.2 or 10.3 just take a look at the video in the following link :

http://www.creativeedge.com/9780132480512

I can play the video with FP 10.1 in Firefox 3.6, Firefox 4 beta and Google Chrome 10.0.648.127 beta, but when I try to play it with FP 10.2 or FP 10.3, I get " The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed"... (the video is a crash course on Flash Catalyst see the irony ??)

If you are a user I think that you would be tempted to install FP 10.1 to see the course. If you are a developer, then you have to make a choice : the video or the new features in FP 10.3 (esp. the new Media measurement feature) + inhanced security.

I will keep FP10.3 for the moment to try the new features and watch the course on Flash Catalyst on Lynda.com instead.

Regards

Hassan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Micheal. Concerning your suggestion, I disabled hardware acceleration, and that fixed it for me. So this is how it stands:

On Windows 7 with hardware acceleration enabled, I can play the video only with 10.1 (both 10.2 and 10.3 crash)

With hardware acceleration disabled, I can play it with all three versions of Flash Player.

This means, I got to keep 10.3 and switch hardware acceleration off when I face any problems in the future.. untill a beter version is released.

Regards,

Hassan

PS. Using windows Vista + firefox 3.6 + hardware acceleration on = the whole browser crashes, not just the video component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elousami, good to hear you are able to play the video.  I didn't think it was the video player that was crashing your browser.  I have Hardware Acceleration enabled and I can play the video just fine.  You might just have to update your drivers to take advantage of this.  For more info go to http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you running into video playback issues, would you mind following the system reporting instructions on the following page?  We're very interested in reproducing these problems and we'd like to get specific system details.  Any additional info like browser, browser version, URL and other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Reporting Flash Player video issues for Windows

This page describes the process of using DXDiag.exe and includes an email address that you can send the results directly to.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. I will use the link to report the requested information.

Carneasada00, you may be right. I also thought it was a driver issue.. but then may be not. The thought is (this may seem stupid, but this is how I reason 🙂 ) : I got the video to play using FP10.1 with hardware acceleration (HA) enabled. The video crashed when I used 10.2 and 10.3 with HA enabled. In both cases I was using the same drivers. Were we supposed to upgrade our drivers to be able to use FP10.2 ? or does FP 10.2 miss something that 10.1 had?

For my part, I am contented with toggling HA and will give this issue a rest 🙂

Regards

Hassan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hassan, I'm very glad for your house, not for the response about the new release.

I was thinking Adobe may give attention to our complains, even because 10.3 comes immediately after 10.2. But maybe they are just following their roadmap, still believing that new features in Player are working good for all the systems.

I'm a developer but actually I'm not working on Flash apps, so I can say I'm just a angry user that always has to be careful (= clairvoyant) to avoid to open any webpage containing Flash movies. Because his system freezes and all the unsaved documents will be lost forever.

So, I have heavily downlograded the Player and I try to leave a decent life anyway 

Hope to find soon free time to test 10.3 on various systems I have in office, then to post the results.

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

s.sirgi@engageweb.it wrote:

Congratulation for your hardihood Elousami... hope this won't destroy your pc or even worse your home

Thanks in advance

Sergio

Sergio, you are so cute! 

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fairplay08 wrote:

s.sirgi@engageweb.it wrote:

Thanks in advance

Sergio

Sergio, you are so cute! 

Vicki

You too

Sergio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elousami wrote:

Our wishes may have just been granted. Adobe has released today Flash Player 10.3 Beta on Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer10 -3/

I hope it resolves the problems we had with FP10.2. I will install it and see how it goes.

Regards,

Hassan

Bummer Adobe Flash Player 10,3,180,42 still crashes with this test case : http://files.chesscube.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Crasher.swf

But i am sure it fixes some other bugs..

Regards Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this the first fix I have tried that actually worked.

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:26:36 -0700

To: gjmorano@msn.com

Subject: Re: Flash Player 10.2 Crashes Browser

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As many of you I went through the web looking for a solution to this issue.

In my opinion this is obvious that there is a "bug" in Flash 10.2

It seems not to be able to cope with some very specific code structures.

I have a quite complex Flex application with Modules and large interfaces, so I am facing this issue.

I am making some tests and the last one I did seems to work (at least for the moment)

In order to avoid wired code structure issued by the flash compiler, I disabled optimization for the compiler.

I simply added : -optimize=false

to the extra compiler arguments.

Not sure it will work all the time, but it deserves a try.

Can anybody test on his side and provide me some feedback ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell me why this issue hasn't been addressed even though it has been going on for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first post in this thread is dated July 2007!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2011 Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi simon, If you are really having a problem, you'll never get it solved by bringing up an old thread with 90+ messages. In addition, there have been many FP updates and you would need to start your own discussion and furnish your computer info.

Posting your link, isn't helpful either, since I don't think anyone is foolish enough to click on it. Good way to get a Virus, don't you think?

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines