Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer 9 update and workarounds

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Flash Player community,

We are tracking the issues being reported on Flash Player 10.3.181.14 and Internet Explorer 9 and actively investigating them.  Users are reporting that Flash content is being displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.  We want to give those who are encountering these issues an update.

First, we apologize to everyone affected.  We know you count on Flash Player as an integral component of the web and we strive for high quality and performance in each release.  We are actively looking into the root cause of this issue.  Thanks to many of you submitting information via email and our online bug database, we now have some solid leads we are pursuing.

Flash Player 10 and later can use your system’s graphics hardware to accelerate video decoding, and can also accelerate video presentation on some sites. Starting with Flash Player 10.2, Flash Player will also take advantage of hardware accelerated graphics in Internet Explorer 9, utilizing hardware rendering surfaces to improve graphics performance.

With Flash Player 10.3.181.14, reports indicate that systems with Intel HD Graphics adapters running Internet Explorer 9 are the only systems impacted by this particular bug.  If you are encountering this issue and have a different configuration we'd love to hear from you.  Please review the instructions on this page for details on generating the information we'll need for further investigation.

Solution #1

Adobe has officially released Flash Player 10.3.181.16 for Internet Explorer to address the graphical issues introduced in 10.3.181.14.  You can get this release by visiting our official download page, directly downloading and running the installer file, or using the Flash Player auto update mechanism.

After installing, we recommend you re-enable hardware acceleration if you had it previously disabled.  We also recommend you clear your browser cache and restart your system.

If you continue to encounter issues, please create a new thread and we'll do our best to investigate further.

Solution #2

On some systems, you may be able to resolve this issue by updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. It has been reported that driver versions 8.15.10.2361 and above do not exhibit this bug. Unfortunately, some systems might require updates directly from your system manufacturer. We’re working with system manufacturers to make sure they include the latest drivers in future releases.

Solution #3

You can disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer 9 using the instructions on this page. Please note that you should re-enable hardware acceleration once this problem has been resolved to enjoy the full benefits of hardware acceleration.

Thank you,

The Flash Player team

Update 5/20/11 - We've temporarily disabled the automatic update notification for Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer.  We're making progress on a fix and hope to have a new version available next week.

Update 5/24/11 - Added link to the 10.3.181.15 test update

Update 5/27/11 - Added instructions for post install of 10.3.181.15

Update 5/31/11 - Updated thread with the official 10.3.181.16 announcement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 148 Replies 148
New Here ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good . I had to uninstall FP as well .I think the solution

steveNjennifer suggested will hold until they can come up with a

better one . I fixed the hot key volume control issue {my fault } I was

disabling things to isolate the problem and forgot to enable it when I found

that not to be involved in the cause . Thank's for your input ,it's good

to know I am not alone in wrestling with with all this technology.Steven H

Anderson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that I "had" to uninstall FP10.2 first, I just decided to uninstall it to avoid any possible "over the top" installation problems.  I was going for as clean an install as possible for the new FP 10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed my Flash Player 10.3 problem, by enabling software rendering until Adobe fixes FP 10.3.

Here is the link:     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

Goodluck everyone ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the suggestion in step #4 worked for me.

Lenovo T410 laptop running Win7 Pro SP1 x64, IE9 32-bit, with Intel HD Graphics driver version 8.15.10.2312 (02/22/2011)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've temporarily disabled the automatic update notification for Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer.  We're making progress on a fix and hope to have a new version available next week, at which point automatic updates will be re-enabled.  I've updated the original post with this information.

If you are interested in helping us test our new version, please contact me at ccampbel@adobe.com

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Chris.

I've just sent you an email regarding testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. Will try to keep up while in Europe and look to see if you still need people to test when I get back.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing a patched version of 10.3 since last night.  So far, so good.   Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Intel HD Graphics with hardware acceleration enabled, IE9.

Have tried several websites with flash videos and all seem back to working normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh, My Pc crashes still with hardware accelator enabled, When is this gonna be fix or is their something wrong with my pc?

Im on:

Firefox 4

Radeon HD 4350

Windows XP SP3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are working on the patch and they said it will be out next week....try using Mozilla Firefox for now until the patch comes out....you will know when the patch is ready because you will get the automatic update alert again....but this time we hope it will work

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sykls,

This post is specifically about Internet Explorer.  I don't want to loose track of your issue, would you mind creating a new topic and describe what you're seeing?  Please give specific URL's and a copy of your dxdiag report to help in the investigation.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked on your link to install flash player 10.2 and it did not install on my

computer, what would the problem be. I attempted to install 10.2 and it will

not install because it is not the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came upon this forum and I'm happy that I did!  For

the past few days I've been having the same problem with FP

10.3 and IE9 flashing all over my screen.  I have a brand new computer and didn't have a clue how to resolve this problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled FP10.3 several times with no change.  Finally I took the advice from this forum and disabled hardware acceleration, closed IE9, and when I opened it again everything worked just fine.

Can someone tell me how I will know when there is a patch for the flashing problem so that I can enable hardware acceleration again?

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep watching this topic.  I'm sure Chris from Adobe will make a post here when a fix is released since he is the one who started the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nikki.... I'll keep an eye on it.

It's so nice to be able to see everything without all that flashing going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

I had the same problems with the Flash Player 10.3 as described in this forum.

So I uninstalled the Flash Player 10.3 again, updated the Intel HD Graphics driver first to version 8.15.10.2361 and reinstalled the Flash Player version  10.3.181.14 again. And now everything is fine, no more problems with Flash Player 10.3.

Chris and all the other in this forum, thank you very much for your help.

RSchelbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you (Adobe staff) are still looking for information and status reports that may help in solving this issue, here is what I have encountered:

My mother was actually the one to start experiencing this problem, and asked me to come look it over for her. We both had IE9, and the same versions of Adobe Flash and everything else. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why she was having this issue and I wasn't. Turns out, our hardware differences are the cause. You mentioned that this happens with Intel HD graphics, which is exactly what she has in this computer. My computer has a higher end hardware set, and I don't have this problem. The symptoms I've seen on here are just like those described by others; flash-based ads, menus, video screens etc. would all move to the upper left corner and I couldn't interact with them.

Luckily my searches finally led me to this forum post. Based on your advise, I tried to update her drivers for the Intel HD Graphics. When I downloaded the version you suggest above, directly from the Intel website, it said a later version was already installed on this computer. So, it would seem that at least in some cases, this issue does persist, even with Intel HD Graphics version 8.15.10.2361 or later.

However, I then tried your other suggestion, and checked the "use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" box in IE9's accelerated graphics menu. That has solved the problem for now, so it would seem you guys are on the right track. Thanks for the help! I hope this information is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prototype4386-->>Luckily my searches finally led me to this forum post. Based on your advise, I tried to update her drivers for the Intel HD Graphics. When I downloaded the version you suggest above, directly from the Intel website, it said a later version was already installed on this computer. So, it would seem that at least in some cases, this issue does persist, even with Intel HD Graphics version 8.15.10.2361 or later.

What was the version number that was already installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed mine by going to a restore point prior to the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it would seem I was wrong. When I tried to install the latest driver last night, the wizard told me a later version was already installed. I don't remember the entire number sequence, but it said something about having version 8.8..... something. However, in an attempt to respond to Carl with the exact number, I got back on my mother's computer, and figured out how to open the Intel graphics properties window, and load up the information tab, where it says the currently installed version is 8.15.10.2279. I wonder why the wizard would detect a later version, which apparently doesn't exist? Hmm... I guess I'll try getting that latest version from their website again. I'll post again once it's installed and see if the Flash problems persist with the latest drivers and accelerated graphics.

UPDATE -- Ok, this time when I tried to install the drivers, an error message popped up saying, "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit." So I guess HP computers (my mom's is an HP pavilion G17 series notebook, about a month old) are among the ones that Chris mentioned above, where the Intel drivers have to be obtained from HP themselves. Oh well, turning off the accelerated graphics works for now.

Message was edited by: Prototype4386 - Update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prototype4386, why don't you just disable the accelerated graphics. It's a simple solution & when the fix is available, you can enable it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those following along, I've updated the initial post with the following solution:

"A pre-release Flash Player to address this issue is now available for testing. We are very interested in hearing you feedback concerning this possible fix. If you should encounter any new issues please report these through our Adobe Flash Player Bug Management System. Please review the instructions on this page for details on generating the information we’ll need for further investigation.

Download Flash Player 10.3.181.15 Update

Important: Please note that this build is for testing and feedback purposes only and is not a full Flash Player release. By installing this binary you accept the terms of the Adobe Software License Agreement."

After installing the new version, please re-enable your hardware acceleration in IE9 if you had previously disabled it.  We'd like to know if this solves the problem for you, after trying it out please let us know.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I just wanted to report that the test file you sent me by email last Friday, has been working fine.

Is there any good reason for me to download and install the new test version (10.3.181.15) or should I stay with the version you sent me?

Thanks,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nikki605 wrote:

Chris,

I just wanted to report that the test file you sent me by email last Friday, has been working fine.

Is there any good reason for me to download and install the new test version (10.3.181.15) or should I stay with the version you sent me?

Thanks,

Gary

They are slightly different, but since the version I sent you is working you might want to just stick with it till our official release is out.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chris.campbell wrote:

nikki605 wrote:

Chris,

Thanks,

Gary

They are slightly different, but since the version I sent you is working you might want to just stick with it till our official release is out.

Thanks,

Chris

Will do, Chris.  I'll sit tight until the official release.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines