Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer 9 update and workarounds

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Flash Player community,

We are tracking the issues being reported on Flash Player 10.3.181.14 and Internet Explorer 9 and actively investigating them.  Users are reporting that Flash content is being displayed in the upper left corner of the screen.  We want to give those who are encountering these issues an update.

First, we apologize to everyone affected.  We know you count on Flash Player as an integral component of the web and we strive for high quality and performance in each release.  We are actively looking into the root cause of this issue.  Thanks to many of you submitting information via email and our online bug database, we now have some solid leads we are pursuing.

Flash Player 10 and later can use your system’s graphics hardware to accelerate video decoding, and can also accelerate video presentation on some sites. Starting with Flash Player 10.2, Flash Player will also take advantage of hardware accelerated graphics in Internet Explorer 9, utilizing hardware rendering surfaces to improve graphics performance.

With Flash Player 10.3.181.14, reports indicate that systems with Intel HD Graphics adapters running Internet Explorer 9 are the only systems impacted by this particular bug.  If you are encountering this issue and have a different configuration we'd love to hear from you.  Please review the instructions on this page for details on generating the information we'll need for further investigation.

Solution #1

Adobe has officially released Flash Player 10.3.181.16 for Internet Explorer to address the graphical issues introduced in 10.3.181.14.  You can get this release by visiting our official download page, directly downloading and running the installer file, or using the Flash Player auto update mechanism.

After installing, we recommend you re-enable hardware acceleration if you had it previously disabled.  We also recommend you clear your browser cache and restart your system.

If you continue to encounter issues, please create a new thread and we'll do our best to investigate further.

Solution #2

On some systems, you may be able to resolve this issue by updating the Intel HD Graphics drivers. It has been reported that driver versions 8.15.10.2361 and above do not exhibit this bug. Unfortunately, some systems might require updates directly from your system manufacturer. We’re working with system manufacturers to make sure they include the latest drivers in future releases.

Solution #3

You can disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer 9 using the instructions on this page. Please note that you should re-enable hardware acceleration once this problem has been resolved to enjoy the full benefits of hardware acceleration.

Thank you,

The Flash Player team

Update 5/20/11 - We've temporarily disabled the automatic update notification for Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer.  We're making progress on a fix and hope to have a new version available next week.

Update 5/24/11 - Added link to the 10.3.181.15 test update

Update 5/27/11 - Added instructions for post install of 10.3.181.15

Update 5/31/11 - Updated thread with the official 10.3.181.16 announcement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 148 Replies 148
New Here ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris, or anybody -

Installed the FP 10.3.181.15, cleared browser history, Uninstalled, reinstalled, manually deleted the SafeVersions key in Registry Editor Chris gave in other posting but still getting warnings that content requires update to Flash Player.

???

Safari Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2011 May 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safari Dave wrote:

Hey Chris, or anybody -

Installed the FP 10.3.181.15, cleared browser history, Uninstalled, reinstalled, manually deleted the SafeVersions key in Registry Editor Chris gave in other posting but still getting warnings that content requires update to Flash Player.

???

Safari Dave

Hi Safari Dave,

I'd like to get to the bottom of this.  Is there a particular page that causes this error to appear?  Can you post a URL?  I'm going to ask around and see what exactly is doing the version check.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put my workaround on another thread also.

I use ie9 32 bit browser on Windows 7 64 bit pc.

On ie9 at the very top there is a circle with a bar throught it. Hover over and you should see if content is being blocked or not.

Now I could not see the Spinning adobe F but when I clicked on the circle and allowed Active X I could then see the spinning F and also the youtube videos.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Adobe has officially released Flash Player 10.3.181.16 for Internet Explorer to address the graphical issues introduced in 10.3.181.14.  You can get this release by visiting our official download page, directly downloading the installer file, or using the Flash Player auto update mechanism. 

After installing, we recommend you re-enable hardware acceleration if you had it previously disabled.  We also recommend you clear your browser cache and restart your system. 

If you continue to encounter issues, please create a new thread and we'll do our best to investigate further.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU !!!!! It works perfect now. Thank you for all your hard work !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris - I downloaded & installed FP 10.3.181.16 and it seems to be working fine on my Win7 Pro SP1 x64 laptop with IE9 & Intel HD Graphics, with hardware acceration enabled.

I also installed it on my WinXP Pro SP3 x86 desktop with IE8 (which didn't exhibit the original problem) and it works fine there.

Thanks,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Being a natural sceptic, I thought that my computer would be in this state of slowness forever.... but I was wrong! The updated Flash Player works perfectly and now that I re-enabled hardware acceleration, emptied my cache & rebooted, my computer is back up to speed. I'm delighted! Thanks so much Chris! You did a great job!

Please keep us all posted if there are any further issues.

Again, many thanks,

Lila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, i still have the same issue - i removed the earlier version, loaded the update, cleared explorer cache etc., then tried to open the same site on mlb.tv, and still have the issue of the graphics only in the upper left corner.  I have tried the other solutions with no success.  Please advise what to do.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nparece wrote:

Chris, i still have the same issue - i removed the earlier version, loaded the update, cleared explorer cache etc., then tried to open the same site on mlb.tv, and still have the issue of the graphics only in the upper left corner.  I have tried the other solutions with no success.  Please advise what to do.

thanks

Ok, thanks for letting me know.  Could you email the results of the following steps to me at ccampbel@adobe.com?  I'll forward along to the video team to see what they have to say.

1. Verify that you've cleared your browser cache and restarted the system.
  2. Please provide a short description of the problem.  Any screenshots you can provide would help greatly.  Are you seeing the Flash problems after coming out of a full screen mode?
  3. Please include a copy of your dxdiag report.  For details on generating this file please see this page.
  4. Please include an exact URL where the problem exists.
  5. Please navigate to this page and click the "Copy text to clipboard" button, then paste the contents into the email.  This will provide us with the Flash Player version along with your browser information.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Here is the info you requested:

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Could you email the results of the following steps to me at mailto:ccampbel@adobe.com? I'll forward along to the video team to see what they have to say.

1. Verify that you've cleared your browser cache and restarted the system. Done.

2. Please provide a short description of the problem. Any screenshots you can provide would help greatly. Are you seeing the Flash problems after coming out of a full screen mode? I submitted this as an issue. Basically when i try to open MLB.TV the image/video is shifted to the upper left hand corner of the window. It is not related to coming out of full screen mode - i never get that far because you have to log in to get the actual video and I can't see the login blocks due to the shift. A screen shot is attached.

3. Please include a copy of your dxdiag report. For details on generating this file please see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html#main_For_Windows_users.

Attached.

4. Please include an exact URL where the problem exists.

http://mlb.mlb.com/flash/mediaplayer/v4.2/R6/MP4.jsp?calendar_event_id=14-287777-2011-06-04&content_id=&media_id=&view_key=&media_type=video&source=MLB&sponsor=MLB&clickOrigin=&affiliateId=&team=mlb&

5. Please navigate to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html#main_Send_your_problem_report and click the "Copy text to clipboard" button, then paste the contents into the email. This will provide us with the Flash Player version along with your browser information.

Flash Player version: WIN 10,3,181,16

Debug Player: No

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDS; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; BRI/1)

Browser Version: 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDS; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; BRI/1)

Browser Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer

Thanks,

Chris

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically when i try to open MLB.TV the image/video is shifted to the upper left hand corner of the window.

Use the Compatibility View mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the site to the compatibility view and it still does not work. The icon for compatibility view is in grey --- thanks for trying to help me.

Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:12:59 -0600

To: indies67@hotmail.com

Subject: Flash Player 10.3 and Internet Explorer 9 update and workarounds

Use the Compatibility View mode.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the site to the compatibility view and it still does not work. The icon for compatibility view is in grey --- thanks for trying to help me.

My comment about using the Compatibility View mode was to get MLB.tv to work correctly and it was to nparece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MLB.PNG

Click the highlighted torn page.

Or right click to the right of the tabs, select Command bar, click Tools, click Compatibility View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The generic Intel graphics driver will not install if there is any OEM graphics driver installed.  Though the driver is 5 months old(1/7/2011), it is probably the latest OEM driver you will find for this computer.  With the computer still in warranty, you will have to think twice before uninstalling the OEM graphics driver and installing a generic graphics driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Carl. I'm pretty darn good with computers, but I wasn't aware that an OEM graphics driver set would block out generic ones. That's useful stuff to know, and I always love to get a new tidbit of tech info stuffed into my brain.

Nitesgold, I've already done just that, and it did indeed fix the problem. I was simply trying a different fix so that I could provide my results to Adobe, for informational purposes. Thanks for trying to help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my computer is brand new, I assume that I have the latest update for the graphic card & don't want to play around with it. But as I posted earlier, disabling the hardware acceleration in IE resolved the problem. However, I definitely notice that IE is slower since I did that. I guess I'll have to leave it that way until there is a permanent fix for FP. Does anyone know how that is coming along?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed mine by going to a restore point prior to downloading flash

10.3 and it is working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was having problems with the adverts in hotmail and they were covering the folders on the left hand side whereas normally they are on the right and aren't a problem.

After much annoyance I stumbled across this thread and just tried solution 2 and it appears to have worked. I am running Windows 7 and IE9.

Thanks for the temporary solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which temporary solution did you use Kazit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nitesgold

I used solution 2 about disabling hardware accleration in IE9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having exactly this problem late last week on three separate computers, all with Windose7 and IE 9.

I just downloaded the test version of Flash 10.3, and it seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an ASUS U41JF. I am experiencing problems with Flash on both IE9 and Firefox 4.0.1.

I have the latest Intel HD drivers (8.15.10.2361) and also applied the 10.3 beta patch that you released today; however there is no improvement: I still can't watch fullscreen videos - my screen goes black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines