• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11.3.300.262 Not working with Firefox. I think I found the problem.

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Flash Player 11.3.300.262 is not working with Firefox. I think I found the problem.*

Millions of people got off work & turned on there computers recently to discover that Firefox is not playing any videos or flash content. Just like me, millions of people are randomly searching the internet in a futile & frustrating attempt at answers. Unfortunately, many of those people will simply stop using firefox & deem it a glitchy, unreliable browser.

This happened to me a couple days ago. I started up my computer & got a pop-up from Adobe saying that I need to update my flash player to 11.3.300.262. I've always thought of adobe as being a reliable software company, so I clicked on it with confidence that things will be working even smoother. To my horror, I relalized that right after the update, my main browser, firefox was destroyed. Then I went on the frustrating process of uninstalling, re-installing, running virus scan, researching the internet like a lost child. I said to myself, "that's why I hate updating stuff, because updates always seem to change stuff you don't want it to change & there always seems to be a problem with the updates." I usualy update software months after it releases, because microsoft & all the other software companies always seem not to test there stuff properly before releasing them. Then we have to look at a glitchy computer until the next update fixes it. Well, that is my rant. Now let me discuss the problem I found.

Problem:

What I did was, go into my firefox extentions menu & I disabled the 11.3.300.262 & I re-enabled the previous flash player. After that, everything worked perfect again. Then a today (a week later), I turned on my computer & my firefox wasn't playing any videos or flash content again. I went into my firefox extenions menu again, & I discovered that my old flash player had been deleted, & this new glitchy 11.3.300.262 had been enabled. Why did adobe feel the need to into my computer & automaticly delete & update my flash player. Now it doesn't work. THIS IS REALY FRUSTRATING!

The Issue I discovered:

"RealPlayer" is the most popular video program & it is installed on millions of computers. For some strange reason Firefox does not want its users to use Real Player. Specifically the RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.2. I also discovered that my Browser Record Plugin 15.0.2 was automatically disabled when the Adobe 11.3.300.262 was automatically updated also.

- Maybe this could be because of some copyright conspiracy to keep people from downloading videos from the web.

- Maybe firefox wants people to use there download add-on instead of RealPlayers downloader.

I don't know what ther reason is. But what I do know is Nobody is going to delete there RealPlayer from there computer just to use FireFox. We can simply use Chrome or Internet explorer. I took the advise from Adobe & disabled the FireFox RealPlayer Extention. I also went into my RealPlayer preferences options, But there was no option to disable download recording from FireFox. BECAUSE I ALREADY DISABLED THE ADD-ON in FireFoxes menu.

Solution:

Step 1: Adobe needs to update all the computers with the previous flash player. That way we can choose to enable the previous flash player in our FireFox. or wait until a new update fixes the problem with firefox.

Step 2: Adobe & FireFox need to get together & go back to the drawing board. They need to create a update that actually works on computers that have Real Player installed on them. I don't care which company does the update. All I care about is if it works. Thank You.

Oh yea, Im running FireFox 13.0.1, Windows 7, HP computer, Real Player is up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

FirefoxAdobeNotWorking wrote:

We all know Corporate executives love every penny of profit and there willing to layoff anybody to keep that profit. Just sayin.

Mozilla is a non profit organisation and Adobe will not loose anything if you switch to chrome or IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2012 Jul 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graeme P wrote:

Where do I find this file?

See Flash Player Administration Guide Chapter 4 (page 22):

mms.cfg file location

Assuming a default Windows installation, Flash Player looks for the mms.cfg file in the following system directories:

•32-bit Windows - %WINDIR%\System32\Macromed\Flash

•64-bit Windows - %WINDIR%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash

Note: The %WINDIR% location represents the Windows system directory, such as C:\WINDOWS.

Macintosh /Library/Application Support/Macromedia

Linux /etc/adobe/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, I have found mms.cfg but I'm not sure how to add ProtectedMode=0

I have opened the file in Wordpad and Notepad and added ProtectedMode=0 but it won't allow me to save it.

How do I edit the file so I can add the line and save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should edit it using Notepad.

You may need to open and save it as an Administrator user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graeme what i did is the following : -right click on mms.cfg

-copy ( to where ever you want )

-edit mms.cfg at this location and you wont have a problem saving it

-back to the original location of mms.cfg - right click - cut -and paste it

where ever you want to just so you keep the original

- now just paste the edided mms.cfg to original location and you are all done .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ProtectedMode=0 fix works for me as well. I'm curious what that flag enables/disables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Protected mode is: the ability for Flash Player to run as a low integrity process with several additional restrictions that prohibit the runtime from accessing sensitive resources. By running the Flash Player as a restricted process, Adobe is making it more difficult for an attacker to turn a simple bug into a working exploit.

Source of this information: http://blogs.adobe.com/asset/2012/06/inside-flash-player-protected-mode-for-firefox.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth...I have a Visa laptop that I removed RealPlayer from with the control panel. My online radio sound began to work immediately again... even without a reboot. Both the Firefox browser and Flash are the latest.

I got tired of running two browsers to get online radio. Maybe when I need RealPlayer in the future, they'll have this fixed (I hope).

Or...the mms.cfg mod if necessary. Thanks for that.

Just a thought...maybe Firefox could issue a check and see band-aid fix to see if it's working and if not do a U-turn or something in the meantime.

As you can see I really know my programming jargon 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does allow you to use Realplayer on your other browers. Only after you disable both the Plugins and the extension for Realplayer in Firefox will it allow you to watch flash in Firefox again.

There seems to be another fix available but you may not want to have you flash being viewed in unprotected mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nicotinic

See my post (Jul 19, 2012). I don't have Realplayer. The problem IS protected mode. Until this version, Flash used to run with no protected mode at all, so turning it off is not so bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMHO Adobe diagnosed the problem not correctly. The RealPlayer issue was most probably something else and not connected to the protected mode.

I'm forced to use Adobe products at work but I avoid them whenever possible. Jobs was so right about Flash.

The Chrome Flash version gets all the love. The rest can die... see: http://blogs.computerworld.com/desktop-apps/20845/explaining-confusion-over-flash-versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is SO MUCH the 'usual' in today's world. The attitude today is only -slightly- altered from the same things we heard even before Kindergarten! The words were almost identical to past things we've all heard since leaving the crib! Wording changes slightly depending on age & year. But you can add-to or take-away from some basics:

"Mom & Dad have everything fixed now; so there's no need to touch it again"

"Ok, if it feels that good, go ahead & touch it. Yes, since it's such a big deal to you & Daddy's at work Mommy will touch it too. But it has to be *our* forever secret!"

""I think things were much better way BEFORE anyone decided to fix things that were NOT YET Broken!!""

""BUT by not stopping when we should have & by taking user adjustments AWAY, I Fear that WE Finally BROKE Firefox""

BIGGEST QUESTION

How Long before Adobe (maybe the blame is actually shared) ADMITS to a mistake/problem with their version 11 and allows us to DL a safe version of 10.3 or maybe writes 10.4 or 10.5???

REAL problem lies in the fact that Firefox 'add-on's are in such huge numbers now that Firefox has No Way to tell which add-on coupled with "WHAT ELSE" is causing so many different machines around the globe to crash -somewhere- CONSTANTLY

WTG Firefox~!

Message was edited by: jack duwayne003

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a solution: In Firefox disabling both the Extension for Realplayer AND the Plugins for Realplayer did the trick and allowed me to watch Adobe Flash videos online through Firefox without any other adjustments to the OS.

FFExtensions Disabled.PNG

FFPlugins Disabled.PNG

You do NOT have to disable the Realplayer Downloader for your other browsers(Chrome, Opera(doesnt work anyway) and IE9).

Firefox ver. 15.0.1

Windows 7 64bit SP 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling both RealPlayer plugins\extensions and all together RealPlayer never worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines