Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player ActiveX control content debugger on Windows 8

Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to install the debugger version of the Flash Player ActiveX control on Windows 8? None of the currently available installers from Adobe works on Windows 8 now. Even the Flash Player uninstaller is unable to remove Windows' built-in player. Are you going to solve this problem in the near future?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Sorry for the lack of information on the content debugger for Win 8.  The debugger will be available for download on Microsoft's website a few weeks after Windows 8 general availability (10/26).

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would love to hear about this.  Windows 8 release is nearing and I'm currently unable to debug my flash applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me three would like to here about this.  I'm running Win-8 RTM and have no debugger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this?  The release of windows 8 is nearing.  Just a simple statement would be great.  No promises, but just something to let the development community know that Adobe has this on their radar.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was successful getting the Flash debugger to run under Chrome.  You have to install the "Other" Flash debugger then disable the native Flash player in Chrome so that it finds the debugg version.  But we all still need to be able to target Internet Explorer or built in Flash as well.  It would be good to understand how and when this will fit in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looked through the pdf.  It does talk about file locations for the player in various operating system, and talks about how in windows 8 the flash player install is controlled by Windows Update.  But it doesn't talk about how i can install the debugger version.  Is there a way for me to extract the right files from the install exe i download and then place them in the appropriate location?  I feel like that'd be more of a hack than a solution.  I'm sure Adobe has some answer for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the lack of information on the content debugger for Win 8.  The debugger will be available for download on Microsoft's website a few weeks after Windows 8 general availability (10/26).

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Thanks for the info!  I've been searching daily since release for the download.  And as the internets work, it could be days after microsoft originally hosts it until the indexing spider find it.  This thread is always right up top when searching.  Could you post the link when you are aware of it's availability?  That'd be a huge help to the developer community as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely.  I'll post back here (and make a FAQ) as soon as I learn the URL.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eventually, the content debugger versions for Windows 8 (x64, x86, and RT) are available at Adobe Flash Player Support Center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These were released yesterday and can be found at the link above or directly from Microsoft here:

Windows 8 x86 - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269535

Windows 8 x64 – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269538

Windows RT – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=269539

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for posting that info up!  I've since been able to download the debugger and i'm back to normal now being able to debug in good ole Internet Explorer.  I've already noted memory usage improvements when compared to debugging with Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed this, but Flash Builder still tells me I'm using a non-debug version of Flash Player.  Do I have to copy the file?  From and to where?  I'm using Chrome - I don't imagine the Windows installer will cater for anything other than IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep you are right, no debugger for Chrome. You'll have to use IE or Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try, but I'll need a better reason than that to switch back.  There's never been a debugger specifically for Chrome - the Netscape one has always worked before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, yeah. if you want, you can install a plugin that will run IE in a Chrome tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Could you please let us know the links for latest flash player debug version (11.4.0) for IE 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the links that Chris posted are still valid (digital signature is December 14); meaning they will download the latest available version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are still valid but the version is 11.3.x, the latest flash builder (4.7) is expecting 11.4.0.

I managed for now by changing properties->Actionscript compailer properties->Use a sepecific version option in flash builder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This sucks, by the way. Not a fan of having IE dictate when flash player updates occur... especially since they are already so woefully behind. It's not really a plugin if the user doesn't have control, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines