• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player has stopped working

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently my Flash Player has stopped working in both Firefox 3.5.7 and IE 8.0.6001.18792 on Windows XP. I have no other browsers installed.

If I go to http://feefifaux.net or http://prestonsbeat.com in either browser I get a message saying that I need to install Flash Player 9 despite the fact that I have Flash Player 10.0.42.34 and Flash Player ActiveX 10.0.42.34 installed. I have tried removing them and re-installing them. Other people can hear/see this content and I used to be able to hear/see it.

Firefox add-ons have all been removed. IE addons have all been disabled. Still it doesn't work. Other people can hear the embedded audio. I used to be able to hear it. When I install the player it says the install was successful and I can see the animation on that page but I still can't hear these audio clips.

I amn using Windows Firewall and Avira Anti-Vir free edition, which is my only TSR.

This may have been triggered by a recent Firefox upgrade, which seems to coincide with when the problem started.

Thanks for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dfg, We seem to have reached a fork in the road here. By following Chris's experimental suggestions, you are continuing to move the goal posts. I can't help you when the target keeps moving.

I had asked you in my post #15 to you to not uninstall again, but you followed his suggestion that does not even make sense. You can't take directions, dfg from opposite opinions. So, you need to stop following his suggestions or follow them and I will move on.

Regards,

eidnolb

I have already addressed this to Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been to Fififaux (hope I've spelled that right) and checked it out.  It seems to be a bunch of still graphics on what looks like a notepad.  Some of them are pretty stylish but there's no movement to them or anything.  Is the site supposed to be playing music as well, then? If it is, I couldn't hear anything.

But I can hear sound perfectly on YouTube and Veoh and Zshare, all of which stream content in .FLV format which is Flash Video format.  And on any other streaming site, though some of them take forever to buffer up.  Which I don't think is anything wrong with Firefox, I think they're just crappily constructed sites, not counting the Chinese ones like Youku which are slow for a different reason.  They're slow because they reserve 99% of their bandwidth for Eastern users, understandably, that's their core market.  We get the scrapings.  Hence the slowness!  If you use a proxy to trick the system into thinking you're in Asia, hello warp speed.  I've done that, it works like a dream.

If you tell me what I'm SUPPOSED to hear on Fififaux, and what I click on to hear it (I thought it would be a YouTube type site but like I said it all seems to be still images.  If any of them are supposed to move, tell me, if any of them are supposed to move and make noises, tell me which ones.  If I can find A Particular Problem to bat my head against, I'm just stubborn enough to butt it down.) I'll go back there and click on it and find out what I have to do to make it work in my Firefox, and then report back here with the solution.  Like I said, .FLV streaming sites work fine with me in Firefox.

Prestonsbeat works fine, but BOY could that guy do with a few singing lessons.  Dunno what's more out of tune, his guitar or his vocal cords.  I hope to heck it's the guitar but I've got a sinking feeling I'm wrong...

Get back to me on that Fififaux site, it's a challenge and I love challenges.  I DO have an idea - I think it's not just Flash that's the problem.  I think theer's Java applets going on there somewheres and Firefox never has liked Java too much. Why do I think this? I play Yahoo pool a lot.  It's better on the recent versions, but if you got booted from a table on the earlier versions, it would guaranteed crash Firefox and you had to reboot either Firefox or the whole computer! Java's a lot more stable since Version 2.0;0.20, but it seems to be an armed truce more than a peace treaty! There's a bit on the Fififaux page that says about needing Java enabling as well as Flash.  Now Yahoo picks up on Java and Flash in my Firefox.  PlayJava site does - usually - there's a couple of games that don't show up. Like I said, tell me what I should be hearing on the Fififaux site and I'll have another go at it!

Interesting....

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chrisulrich, However well intended your suggestions may or may not be, you are thread jacking. If you have problems you need to start your own thread.

Your experiments with your own computer is fine, but I resent you offering those experiments to someone that I am helping. I have seen this happen on this forum before and people follow this and dig a bigger hole and have more problems than they started out with.

It is my practice to submit to the senior participants with 1500 posts and up, because they have much more experience

than I. You can find the list of them on the right side of the forum.

The installation of Flash Player and any update is not rocket science. Following the well laid out instructions of Adobe's

articles will be successful. People say they do, but they don't. They follow part of them. There is a procedure and a process.

Now you have suggested steps to take that is going to undo the progress that dfg has made, what with your "next trick"

and now you are going to instruct him on "saving-streaming video". I wasn't aware that was his goal. To "save" streaming video, I assumed you had to be able to "stream" it first. Is that done with or without Flash Player working??

And by the way the Subject of dfg's thread is "Flash Player has stopped working"  All you are doing is causing confusion

and interfering in someone else's attempt to help dfg.

You are most certainly free to try any experiment or follow any link you like, but it is highly rude to suggest to others to do so.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'd realise that I was showing that link because it showed how to find the source URL of the video you want to see, using a piece of good-quality freeware.  You can then stream it via VLC or WInamp.  I was not advising anyone to save it, it's just that if you can't watch vids within the browser, that's a perfectly good workaround. I use it myself to stream video sometimes because it's faster and smoother than using the browser software on some sites, especially when they're busy.  May I suggest reading my posts before shooting from the lip?

As far as the disabling of Acrobat before installing Flash goes, it was something i'd discovered that was worth a try.  When you're trying to fix anything to do with computers, it's a process of elimination.  You try one thing at a time, chuck out everything that doesn't work and you must be left with something that DOES work.  I discovered that having Acrobat enabled stopped Flash from installing properly.  So I just listed the sequence that I had to install the packages in to make them work on my system.  If it didn't work for her, fine, it's another possibility gotten rid of.  One step closer to finding the needle within the haystack. Trying it out won't make anything any worse, it just means another possibility eliminated.

And I don't notice you bunch of geniuses exactly coming up with lists of things to try and eliminate.  I never claimed to be an expert, if you read my posts you'll see I say that on several occasions, but at least I'm coming up with ideas.  She is, of course, free to try yours as well, when they appear.  Eventually, we'll eliminate everything that's impossible and be left with the possibly improbable truth!

I'd love to understand the thinking process that calls an entire bunch of on-subject ideas 'thread hijacking'.  That's a fascinating one.

Yours respectfully

ulrichburke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly don't want this thread to turn into a flame war and I agree with Eidnolb that it is impossible for two people to try to solve the problem, or for me to change things while someone is trying to diagnose them. I will continue to follow Eidnolb's advice, assuming that I will continue to get it.

However, to be clear, on both of those pages music is supposed to play when the page loads. I no longer hear the music. Instead I get a box with text in it saying that I need Flash Player 9 or higher to play the content, and a link to download and install Flash Player. On the Preston's Beat web site this message does not appear on the home page but it does appear on the My Music page (you have to scroll down for the audio clips). I have contacted Mark Preston and he says the audio clips still work fine for him. So, it's obviously something to do with my computer or browser setup and not the web site.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the actual error message I am getting:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works everywhere except on two sites, Ockham's razor says there is something wrong with the code on those two sites. Presumably they do some sort of version check that does not only trigger when Flash Player is to old, but also when it is to new. Or using some undocumented feature that got disabled in a recent update.

I tried looking at the Javascript code used to embed the Flash movies, but that code is scary. No comments, no identation, no discernible structure, just a giant blob of code. If you use this code yourself somewhere, I would recommend ripping it out and replacing it with something maintainable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jochem. The code is coming from a Wordpress plugin. The strange thing is that I have asked the two clients if their sites are working for them, and they have both said that they are, which indicated to me that the problem is on my end. It seems like you were not able to play it either, and apparently Chris could not play it, so maybe my clients simply are not using the latest version of Flash Player and that might explain why it still works for them.

At any rate, worst case scenario is that the Wordpress plugin is at fault and I will have to find another solution for delivering that content and hope that the clients will like it. I won't be able to bill for the time if they feel that something I did doesn't work. Plugins are both a strength and a weakness of Wordpress because the plugin developers sometimes do not keep their plugins up-to-date as the world around them changes.

Eidnolb, just FYI I didn't intentionally do anything to drive you away and I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I decided to search Google to see if anyone else is writing about problems using the Wordpress Audio Player plugin and Flash Player 10, and found this article:

http://wpaudioplayer.com/support/troubleshooting

It seems like the answer may be that my Flash Player is working fine per se, and that it is a conflict between the plugin and the player.

And lo and behold I just logged into the WP admin of one of the two sites, and there is a new version of the plugin available. After upgrading the plugin I no longer get the message about upgrading Flash Player. I get nothing at all!

At any rate, it looks like I have to do more research into this plugin and perhaps find some other way of delivering this content.

Thanks to everyone for their help. If I find an answer to make the plugin work, I will post it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it is now working on http://feefifaux.net

The problem was solved by A) upgrading the plugin and B) adding a wp_footer() function in the footer of the site's theme. Apparently this plugin bug was discovered very recently, because I have been on these sites and today is the first time that I was prompted to upgrade the plugin.

Now to figure out why it isn't working on the other site, but first lunch, and I presume this proves that the problem all along has been a conflict with the plugin and not a problem with Flash Player or my installation thereof.

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit I'd never heard of the Wordpress plug-in before today - my ignorance!

It's sure working fine now, I didn't realise you were actually constructing that feefifaux site, I thought you'd just visited it and discovered you couldn't hear anything.  That's why I suggested trying other streaming sites.  Sorry for my misunderstanding.

I'm glad it's working now.  It's working for me, too - just went back there and heard the tune.  It sounds like a ghostly version of one of the tunes a British band called the Specials used to do, years ago.  They were good at that kind of ghostly reggae, too!

Respect to you and eidnolb both.

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you dfg! Wordpress has caused a few problems in the past year. Glad they had an update for the plugin.

Thanks for cooperating in the process here, glad also that you have the latest version of FP in IE and FF.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now working on the other site too (not on the homepage, which was hand-coded, but on the My Music page where the code is generated by the plugin). I just had to upgrade the plugin and hold down the shift key while I refreshed the page.

Ok, now it's really time for lunch, then I will look into the code on that home page.

Yes Eidnolb, S&D Resident is only for IE and Tea Timer is a TSR that sits in the Windows System tray. They can be turned on and off separately in Spybot (in Advanced Mode).

Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately we all suspected my browser or the Flash Player and all along the problem was the way the content was being deleivered (i.e. the Wordpress plugin). It seems the plugin was updated on 1/16 but today is the first time I was prompted to get the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, got it working on the Preston home page as well. http://prestonsbeat.com/

A nice thing about the new plugin is that you can encode the URLs of the sound files. I don't remember that being an option before.

Anyway, not to take it off topic, but suffice to say that it's all working and everybody's happy, including me.

Thanks again for the good support I've gotten on this topic. If you have Wordpress questions, I may be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dfg, good for you! All in one day too. That's computers and programs for you, change, change and more change:-)

Glad you marked it answered, so many people find that helpful. They usually go to those threads first, especially if the

subject is similar. I know I do if I'm searching for answers on other forums.

I'll keep you in mind if I have any of WP problems, one never knows.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. If anyone likes this plugin, you can see that it works on static pages as well. You just have to have the script somewhere on your server, and in the variables in 2 javascripts (one in the head section and one at the bottom) you specify some stuff (like the path to the script, the path to the audio file, colors of things, looping, autoplay, etc.).

The standalone version is here:

http://wpaudioplayer.com/standalone

Instructions on which variables you can set are on that page, and you can look at the source of my page as an example.

Cheers and I hope this info helps someone have a better, cooler web site. I am not connected with the plugin in any way, which I presume is a foregone conclusion...

The author accepts donations.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great info dfg and I know that those that are in the field that you are will so appreciate it.

LOL at your comment that you're not connected with the plugin, that's a given huh? After all of the trouble you had to go

thru to find that light at the end of the tunnel.

Now you don't have to be concerned about your clients.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the moral of the story is that if your script appears to be the only thing that's not working, maybe the problem is your script.

The thing that threw me is that my clients said it was working for them, but at some point it became clear that the opinions in this forum outweighed info from two endusers. The information I received here certainly paved the way to solving the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dfg, on your first sentence, sometimes that may be true. But you always have to take in the variables. We thought

originally that (or at least you did:-) Flash Player was the problem. I don't know about Script problems but with FP, there are certain issues that will affect the Uninstall; then others that affect the download; others affect the Install and yet others affect the playing of Flash Player. Just something to consider and that is what I was trying to determine by all of my questions. At what point did a problem occur. Script confuses me just like .NET Framework and their Service Packs, Hotfixes and XML Core Services and on and on.

I think Jochem's contribution was key also. I don't know if your contacts are in person with your clients or not. If you had asked me for example if the Preston site worked and if I had to answer a yes or no, I would have said yes. Perhaps your

clients did the same and did not expand on it.

It is so much easier if you are in front of the computer when you have something go wrong than not. I found that out in a hurry when the Flash Player updated on mine. I was able to check what I knew was needed and able to rectify the problem.

I would give your clients the benefit of the doubt:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are precisely right. You have to look at the variables. In this case people who seemed to know something about Flash Player 10, and seemd to think that it was working perfectly for them could not play the content. That and Jochem's post made me think that I should look into it from a different angle. I don't want to downplay anyone's help or make anyone a hero. The discussion itself is what led to the solution. It's a good day when you perceive a problem and your clients say there is none, and you fix it before they experience any loss of service. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true about fixing a problem before it's noticed:-)  Just glad it all worked out for you.

Now you will know what not to do when the next update of Flash comes out.  Also remember at the first sign of trouble,

post and ask for help. That is the time it is the easiest to fix.

Thanks dfg, hope business thrives for you.

Regards,

eidnolb

P.S. I just noticed how many people are viewing the threads that are answered. It really makes a difference. A couple of days ago, the wired_retired thread had 87 views. He marked it answered I think today and it was 200.

Your thread will get a lot of views because of your title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eidnolb. Best wishes to you too. I certainly learned about some things that were not directly causing my problem but are still good to know, and that is a benefit of having a community of helpful people like this one seems to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dfg, I hope you read Jochem's opinion. His statement about the websites has been discussed on the forum and many know that if they have not updated to the latest version of Flash Player and Java, that youtube will be among the first to

tell you so. The smaller individual websites are not so quick to update and if you have then there is a problem also.

I went to the Preston site and clicked on the My Music like you said. It did play but not smoothly, it was jerky and stopped

and started. I didn't find the quality up to par, sounded like he was in a tunnel, sort of a muffled sound. When I tried to close the window, it would not close and I had to use Task Manager, etc. I don't have any problem on other sites, forums,

blogs, etc. This was my experience on the site.

Give me a few minutes to get back on track. Just on Spybot, I'll take your judgement on the Resident and Tea Timer, since you use it. I used it 2 years ago and they must have separated it like you said, so that is good.

Will post back in a few.

Thanks

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joachim does indeed have a point.  I've now looked at the code on those sites and it isn't well laid out at all, I've done Cobol and C and if I handed it a bunch of code like that to my teacher, I'd've had it handed back to me after being put through the shredder! Me, not the code!!

Can you play stuff on YouTube or other streaming sites? Most of them use .FLV or .SWF files and they're all Flash files.  I DO have another idea, which in all seriousness I'll run past Eidnolb first - I'm not being sarky that time, I respect her and you and want to get you up and running with Flash the same as she does, it's just we've got two different ways of working.  I'm very much a 'suckit'n'see' guy. She's a careful research before you do a thing kinda girl.  I respect her for that, honestly I do, I just love trying things out.  If they don't work, fine, at least you've tried it! That's me.

If you can see YouTube/Veoh/MegaVideo stuff, I'd say the prob's with those two sites more than with you, same as Joachim's saying.  I should have thought of that, I'm to blame there, I just got carried away trying things out.  If you can't, I'll run my latest genius idea (I wish!) past Eidonolb and see what she thinks of it.

I'm not into flame wars either.

Respect to both of you.

ulrichburke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me just say that the problem turned out to be the script (Wordpress Audio Player plugin) that I was using. The script/plugin has been updated, and if you scroll almost all the way down you will find the answer...

Oh, I thought that as a a "reply to the original post" this would be at the top of the page and might save somebody some time, but not if you are in "flat view".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines