Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have

- Flash player (11.2.202.235)

- Firefox (13.0, as of this morning)

- (64 bit) Windows 7 Professional

Flash no longer works (in IE or Firefox, fine in Chrome) - I don't know if this happened as the result of an update. I have tried uninstalling Flash (and Firefox), deleting the contents of the various Flash-related folders, and re-installing, but to no avail. After installing Flash player again, this page:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/aih/?exitcode=0

briefly shows some Flash once, but if I return to it this no longer works, there's just a blank space that's eventually replaced with a banner ad.

Anyone got any tips as to how to get this running again?

Thanks,

Toby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win7 Service Pack 1 is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have RealPlayer, and/or the RealPlayer Browser Recorder PlugIn for Firefox installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have both RealPlayer and Browser Recorder Plugin installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following -- it should resolve the problem and allow you to use Protected Mode.

1.) Remove the ProtectedMode=0 line from your mms.cfg

2.) Uninstall RealPlayer from Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

Or, if you'd like to do a quick test without actually uninstalling it:

1.) Kill the process "realsched.exe"

To do this, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Start Task Manager

Sort by Image Name

Click on realsched.exe and click End Process

2.) Disable the Firefox Extension "RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin"

Open Firefox

Click the firefox menu button in the upper left of the screen

Click Add-Ons

Select Extensions

Click RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin and click Disable

3.) Exit Firefox

4.) Open Firefox, Go to Youtube and play a video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately still encountering the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, Mozilla is seeing the same issue:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=763459

You might want to fully uninstall and reboot, just to make sure it's unloaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled Realplayer, and rebooted. All Flash functionality has resumed for FireFox 13 (Youtube, twitch.tv etc). Thank you kind sir for your time and effort!

So I guess the conflict is between Realplayer and Flash on Firefox? or some combo of the 3.

One more thing out of curiosity now that I notice, since looking at my task manager from the previous step should I have 2 processes of "FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_257.exe*32" running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is with RealPlayer.  There's a more detailed explanation in that Mozilla bug I linked to.

The two processes indicate that you're successfully running in Protected Mode. 

There's an excellent explanation of the technical details here, if you're interested:  http://blogs.adobe.com/asset/2012/06/inside-flash-player-protected-mode-for-firefox.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I appreciate the help, and many thanks to you.  If there is an email or address that i can write to, I would happily put your name forward.

😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The issue is with RealPlayer"? Sounds like you're pointing the finger at them. No, Adobe changed their software, something immediately broke badly, and it's up to Adobe to fix it. Your software is incompatible with RealPlayer/Firefox. Don't expect them to have to change their software, it was working fine before Adobe did whatever they did. And what a terrible workaround: "Our software is broken, but if you tweak your RealPlayer configuration it will work". Talk about bandaids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simpler temporary solution (until RealPlayer fixes the problem) which worked for me.  Go into RealPlayer->Preferences->Download & Recording and uncheck the box for Enable Web Download & Recording for these installed browsers.  Too bad there isn't a separate checkbox for each browser.  Anyway, flash videos now works in Firefox for me. 

If you want to download and record in another browser like IE or Chrome, then just re-enable that checkbox (but of course flash video will stop working correctly in Firefox again). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the useful feedback!  We'll begin recommending this less-invasive workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem, but W7 home Edition. 

Sine yesterdays Adobe update HTML5 videos all work fine, but Flash Player videos always show "Error Try Later".

Did FP uninstall and reinstalled which produced no change.

Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines