• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing flash debugger on IE 11 on Windows 10.

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I tried to install flash debugger for IE 11 on Windows 10. Used ( http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html -> Download the Flash Player content debugger for Internet Explorer - ActiveX ) After downloading trying to install got the message that my IE already has the latest flash player embedded. Then tried uninstalled it (using the guide from: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html ) After uninstall, tried to install the debugger once again, but I still get the same message about flash player already installed, although https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html I get that my Flash Player is either not installed or not enabled. From IE -> Manage Add- ons I see that under "Not Available" I see Shockwave Flash Object, Plublisher in N/A and Status in Enabled.

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to install Flash Player directly for IE and Edge on Windows 10.

While we would be more than happy to make a debugger variant of Flash Player available to Microsoft for distribution (and have advocated for it), they have declined to distribute it.

You're basically stuck with the choice of running a VM with Windows 7 or below, or using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox, where the installation of a system-wide Flash Player variant isn't prevented by W

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to install Flash Player directly for IE and Edge on Windows 10.

While we would be more than happy to make a debugger variant of Flash Player available to Microsoft for distribution (and have advocated for it), they have declined to distribute it.

You're basically stuck with the choice of running a VM with Windows 7 or below, or using a different browser like Chrome or Firefox, where the installation of a system-wide Flash Player variant isn't prevented by Windows.

For Firefox, you've always been able to download a debugger variant.

You can find them here:

Adobe Flash Player - Debug Downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an application crash which happens ONLY on Internet Explorer or Edge, doesn't happen on FireFox or Chrome so I really need to be able to debug on IE to see what's going on. Any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Download the "Windows 8.1 x64 debugger" (or x86 if you have 32-bit machine) from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

2. Consider the downloaded msu file is called "Saved_MSU_File_Name.msu". Change the extension of the .msu file to .zip

3. Extract the contents of the zip file into a folder.

4. Run the following commmands in cmd such that target_dir is the folder where you extracted the files in step 3.

cd <target_dir>

expand -F:* Saved_MSU_File_Name.cab C:<target_dir>

5. The exctracted files should contain a folders named:

amd64_adobe-flash-for-windows_...... - for 64-bit browser (MS Edge)

wow64_adobe-flash-for-windows_...... - for 32-bit browser (IE 11)

6. Backup the original files first in case any problem goes on.

7. Close all apps the might be using the ActiveX such as: Skype, Lync, Internet Explorer, MS Edge...

8. Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed, right click on the folder named "Flash", select properties, and on the Security tab use the Advanced button to add yourself as the owner of the folder with Full Control.

Do the same for folder C:\Windows\System32\Macromed if you need to debug in MS Edge browser.

9. Copy the following four files:

FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe

Flash.ocx

activex.vch

from amd64_adobe-flash-for-windows_...... to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash - for 64-bit browser (MS Edge)

from wow64_adobe-flash-for-windows_...... to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash - for 32-bit browser (IE 11)

This way you will get debug version of Flash Player 25 (not the latest 27 available today), but I guess if you have a Win 7 PC, it should be possible to update to the latest version by installing Flash Player ActiveX version there and copying corresponding files from such PC to Win 10 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news for this ?

I can't debug my application with Firefox debugger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've solved it !!

Download the last version from https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html  , NOT execute, just download

Once downloaded,  press right mouse button over the file, compatibility, run in compatibility mode with windows 7

Now it will let you install it, although it still will not work

You have to make a few changes in file permissions, owners, etc, save this as changeFlashDebug.bat and execute it with the right button as administrator

@Echo off

rem

rem TOMAMOS PROPIEDAD DE OCX , CAMBIAMOS PERMISOS, BORRAMOS Y RENOMBRAMOS

rem

echo Procesamos carpeta C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

echo Nos hacemos propietarios del fichero

takeown /F Flash.ocx

echo Concedemos permiso de escritura a todos los usuarios

icacls Flash.ocx /grant Users:F

icacls Flash.ocx /grant Everyone:F

echo Borramos fichero

del Flash.ocx

echo renombramos flash instalado a flash (solo debe existir uno 😄  )

ren Flash*.ocx Flash.ocx

echo Procesamos carpeta  C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

cd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

echo Nos hacemos propietarios del fichero

takeown /F Flash.ocx

echo Concedemos permiso de escritura a todos los usuarios

icacls Flash.ocx /grant Users:F

echo Borramos fichero

del Flash.ocx

echo renombramos flash instalado a flash (solo debe existir uno 😄  )

ren Flash*.ocx Flash.ocx

rem

rem MODIFICAMOS REGISTRO

rem

echo Procesamos carpeta C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Macromedia\FlashPlayerActiveX\ /t REG_SZ /v PlayerPath  /d Flash.ocx  /f

pause

Thats all!! you can navigate to https://helpx.adobe.com/es/flash-player.html  with InternetExplorer and test that the debugger version is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines