• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reinstalling Flash after uninstall - Windows 8.1 Pro

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing issues with some websites' flash content; one site had no volume, others wouldn't load the videos at all, etc.  Believing I had to uninstall and reinstall FP, I followed the steps on the following url:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

The above url needs to have a huge warning right at the top, "NOT FOR WINDOWS 8/8.1"

After running the provided uninstall tool, and deleting the files specified, reinstalling FP proved impossible. 

Trying to reinstall in IE10 inevitably redirects me to:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

where I'm simultaneously told I don't need to install FP because it's embedded in IE in Windows 8, and that I'm not using IE in windows 8.

Capture.JPG

I've run through all the pre-packaged troubleshooting. 

1. In Tools>Manage Add-Ons, Shockwave Flash Object is present and "Enabled".
  2. I've verified that ActiveX Filtering is not checked.
  3. Windows will not allow me to update IE to get latest version, providing me with an error message that the update is already installed.

Other pages that were unhelpful due to not applying to my issue, or the provided tools don't work:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

I've also tried a couple of the full package downloads provided in other discussions in this forum.  I get an installation error:  "Your Microsoft Internet Explorer browser includes the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player built-in.  Windows Update will inform you when new versions of teh Flash Player are available."

I see others have had similar issues in the past, and that Windows Update fixed the issue when a FP update became available.  I don't want to wait for that to happen.  There must be some way to actively install FP in Windows 8.1. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

This was the final clue I needed to solve this problem that has been going on the weeks.  The enable flash and active x filtering settings were not causing my problem, it was a something that went wrong during that last update.

The specific kb number will change over time.  In my case it was kb3008925. 

On the flash test page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

The update for internet explorer flash player link near the bottom will give you the kb number when

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pnutluvr98528 wrote:

I've run through all the pre-packaged troubleshooting. 

1. In Tools>Manage Add-Ons, Shockwave Flash Object is present and "Enabled".
  2. I've verified that ActiveX Filtering is not checked.
  3. Windows will not allow me to update IE to get latest version, providing me with an error message that the update is already installed.

If you have Shockwave Flash Object enabled, then you have not uninstalled Flash Player; it's still there.

Have you tried to use Windows Update to install the latest Flash Player version?

Can you see the Flash animation at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

I've tried all that.  There's nothing in the test box, which indicates Flash Player is not installed.  Also, Windows Update has no updates available; and yes, I clicked on "check for updates".

It's possible that my following the uninstall instructions, I've removed the guts of Flash Player, disabling it, but leaving a log or shell of some kind that tells Internet Explorer (and Windows Update) that FP is still installed and up to date.

I didn't JUST run the uninstaller and call it good; the instructions also told me to open folders and delete all contents:

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
  • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
  • %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now your C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash folder is empty?

Try downloading the Flash Player installer from the Microsoft links on http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html#main-pars_header_0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was about to say yes, but I was wrong.  I did delete everything out of that folder (wasn't easy; had to edit folder ownership and assign full control permissions to my user).  Just now, though, I double-checked and found several files in that folder, all showing they were created 11/15/2014 at 11:42pm (must have installed when I tried one of my other fixes).

But the symptoms remain.  I cannot use flash, and it's limiting what I can do on the net (as a stop-gap, I've downloaded chrome).

I did try the installer, but I get an error message that it's already installed:

Capture3.JPG

I really screwed things up, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2013 Nov 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think I fixed it. 

Just occurred to me that if I cannot install FP because Windows thinks that update KB2898108 was already installed, then why not remove it.

I went into Control Panel>System & Security>Windows Update

>View Update History>Installed Updates

I double clicked on KB2898108 and uninstalled it.  This allowed me to re-install it from the standalone .msu provided from Adobe's "Flash Player Issues" page.

Checked the version finder on Adobe's site, and two other flash-heavy sites.  Everything seems to be running fine again.

Thank you for helping me sort this out

-J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Please Help!

I did the same thing as you but I can't seem to uninstall that particular update, it doesn't even give me the option. I don't know what else to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the final clue I needed to solve this problem that has been going on the weeks.  The enable flash and active x filtering settings were not causing my problem, it was a something that went wrong during that last update.

The specific kb number will change over time.  In my case it was kb3008925. 

On the flash test page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

The update for internet explorer flash player link near the bottom will give you the kb number when it downloads and you get the error message that it is already installed.  Use that kb number to uninstall the update like pnutlovr says, then restart IE, then install the update again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, basically Flash Player on Win8 is a built-in component of IE.  By removing and reinstalling whatever the latest update is for IE, you should end up with a working Flash Player install.  We weren't kidding with that big warning for Windows 8 users.  You can uninstall it, but since there's not a straightforward path to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer on Win8, getting it fixed is not intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines