• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble upgrading to newest version

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2010 Jan 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling for a couple days now, wishing to be able to watch some live streaming that others can see but I can't.  It was suggested I upgrade to the latest version of Flash player.  Tried many things, uninstalling and reinstalling and even deleting previous versions of flash, twiddling with setting in Macafee and Adblocker settings on Firefox, and using other browsers including IE, Safari, and Chrome.  Got myself into a mess where the installer couldn't complete because of a missing dll and finally did a System Restore to a previous date before I started all this, and tried the download again.

The process appeared to have gone smoothly, and the test showed successful, but said that I had successfully downloaded version 10.0.32.18, rather than 10.0.42.34 which is apparently the current version.  The streaming video I am wanting to watch still won't come through for me.  What do you suggest?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 15, 2010 Jan 15, 2010

Hi 321, well that is great news indeed. I didn't have any problem on the bear site. Very interesting site. I have watched live web cams before on American Eagle Nests and other birds.

Thanks for the explanation of your last couple of posts. On the IE add ons, I don't think we need to make any adjustments unless you have different than the last list.

Add/Remove re: Java is exactly what you want. Add ons look ok. With this Java 18 update they did remove the previous.

So if you happen to go to a websi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, yes that is what I meant. The get plus is gone, good job. I thought you meant it was still there, but you meant the DLM in Add/Remove.

I don't think the DLM can work without that getplus ActiveX Control, just like FP can't work without the Shockwave Flash Object ActiveX Control.

The file I asked you to search for, the gp.ocx (gp=getplus) if I am not mistaken is the getplus you just removed.

Disregard the info about removing Adobe Reader, etc. because I misunderstood about the getplus in program files,

thinking you couldn't remove it.

I think you may be ready to start the Uninstall/Install, but not tonight(morning for me):-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you suggest I do the uninstall/install with the downloads to desktop

that you referenced in the msg you pointed me to? Rather than just doing the usual

process online again?

Either way, I won't be doing it till tomorrow morning. I'm shutting down for now.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, If you find that gp.ocx, remove it if you can. I am glad you have the Administrative privileges to do this. That is one reason I still use IE6, I can do whatever I please with my computer:-)

Well, I appreciate your concern. I will be signing off here in a minute. The person's thread I linked for you to follow had

no success. Couldn't Uninstall anything! I have never heard of that. A lot of people have problems with Flash.

When I updated, I got caught in the web myself, but I conquered it!! LOL

Just post tomorrow or whenever.

Thanks for getting this far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, yes, follow those instructions. I think that is your best chance of success. One other thing, in the Flash Folder,

if you can go in and delete the Flash10b.ocx before you start. That is an old version of Flash and if you can delete it, it

will be one less file the Uninstaller will have to contend with.

Thanks.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2010 Jan 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just now getting started again.

Have downloaded the uninstaller to desktop, but when I went to find the installer,

I found that the link

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax

apparently doesn't exist at this point.

I'm assuming I can just use the regular download page but save rather than install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard last msg, I discovered that the .exe hadn't gotten included in the link

when I had forwarded those instructions to myself in a msg. Got it right and have

downloaded it okay. I'll let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, glad to found the offline link. I am afraid you would have installed that DLM if you used the link you did before.

I will be here for a little while. Please read my post to mlmarg at this link for an explanation:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/551624?tstart=0 Post #17, the last paragraph. Won't be back on my own PC until late tonight or possibly tomorrow. Will check on your progress so do post.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news and bad news.

The installation looked good and tested out as being the right version.

However, I still can't watch the content I was trying to access, which others are

obviously seeing without so much difficulty. (It's the black bear cam at bear.org

which jumps to a feed at wildearth.tv)

In IE add-ons the shockwave flash object, now enabled, shows as being version

10.0.22.87 - that could be the problem?

In the sys32 flash file, there are now the following, all of which show as the

current version numbers: Flash 10d ocx, FlashUtil 10d exe, install.log,

KB923789.inf, uninstall_activex.exe.

I had disabled MacAfee and re-enabled, now am trying to access that camera site

with MacAfee firewall turned off. (I had gotten this MacAfee free thru my credit

card company and am thinking of getting rid of it - used to use AVG free, and once

upon a time had Norton on my old machine and liked it just fine, just trying to

save money, but if MacAfee is the problem in any way I'm not committed to keeping

it.)

There's one other oddity in my system I've not known how to deal with. It

apparently has something to do with the wireless router, to which this computer is

connected by a network cable. Periodically, especially when the DSL modem and

router are turned off and back on, the computer will throw up a blank TrendMicro

box saying it can't connect to that program. TrendMicro has never been installed

on this computer! I don't think it's installed on the old laptop I used before

this either, so that box has always been a nuisance to me, and I always just get

rid of it. Now I'm thinking I should try connecting this machine straight to the

DSL modem and bypassing the router and see if that makes any difference.

If I ever get this squared away on IE, I'm going to want to proceed to making it

work on Firefox.

(The thing about wanting to watch the bear in its den is that I live in very close

proximity to the same kind of bears that are all around my place in the summer so

finding out just how they operate in winter is particularly of interest to me, not

just a curiosity.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, let me take a look at what you just posted. Don't do anything yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, First things first. Yes the old Shockwave Flash Object is a major problem, since it is the old version 10.0.22.87

See if you can go into Tools>Internet Options >Settings>View Objects and right click on it and if the window has the option of Update, do so. The problem is that the Uninstaller did not remove that.

The Router: If you did not have it disconnected when you uninstalled/installed, then it is not an issue.

Your Flash folder looks fantastic!!

The DSL, I think the Trend Micro came with the DSL.

The McAfee and the Norton.

Which anti-virus was put on this computer first? It is important to know that. Was it the Trend Micro? Do a search for it,

even though you say it wasn't installed.

Here is the correct procedure to Uninstall : First on, First off. McAfee and Norton are the most invasive Anti-Virus programs out there. Don't try to just uninstall, it won't work. They are as bad as AOL, can't tell you how many files they had their fangs in on my system.  McAfee and Norton both have their own Uninstallers and they must be used to rid your system of their fangs.

I'll check back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, stop getting ahead of me. If you have ever had Flash Player on FF, you have to run the Uninstaller and it will Uninstall Flash Player from ALL browsers, including IE which you just installed. There is a process:-)

Besides that all of the plugins, extenstions and add ons must be taken into consideration. Prep work is very important!

321!!!! Don't you have the latest Java 1.6.0_17 installed? I didn't see it in the Add/Remove.

Let me know and I will give you the correct link to go and get it. Don't just go there and download Java that you don't need!!!!

Message was edited by: eidnolb  Add'l info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Power to the router and modem were turned off when I did the uninstall/install

because that was the only way I could think of to disconnect from the internet.

AVG came installed on the computer (this was one of those inexpensive bare bones

computers from geeks.com) I uninstalled it prior to installing the McAfee.

Now I'll go look at the IE tools and report back on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-clicking the add-on only gives the options of Disable, Columns, Group By,

Sort By, Copy and More information. More information just tells when it was last

accessed (this morning) how many times run and blocked, etc. It's currently set to

run on all sites.

Don't worry, I'm not running ahead and doing other stuff to this poor burdened

computer, gonna break off and do outdoor things here shortly while the sun is

shining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok 321, stay away from your computer for a while:-) Stay focused. There is another thing to try to get that old vs to update. I've got to go, will check back later. We have most everything accomplished for IE, except that and the Java.

Will get that link to you this afternoon, or this evening.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back in the house for the evening and ready to try whatever the next thing is -

whenever it's convenient for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 321, I couldn't get back to you on Wednesday. Please update me on your status.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here and eager to find out what to do next. Computer of course is still in the

same condition as when we last communicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well 321, Before we start on this project, can you hi-lite the Shockwave Flash Object in the Add ons and click the Update ActiveX box? You may not even have that option, but wanted to try it first.

Also any Java in the Add/Remove? You gave me the Java add ons in IE, but is that all that is on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a "remove" button related to that Shockwave add-on in IE, but not "update."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy. The Shockwave add-on is showing in IE now - I swear it wasn't there a few

minutes ago! I don't see any update option. It is currently the only add-on

enabled in IR,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, well who knows. The only add on in IR, did you mean IE? Is it Flash10d.ocx?

Also what do you think about running the Uninstaller for McAfee and Norton, but first getting the AVG free you spoke of?

The laptop that I updated FP on IE and FF had AVG and it was such a simple process to disable the anti-virus functions,

very easy and very clear instructions. I had no problem with FP on either browser, so if you want to do that let me know

and I'll post the Uninstallers for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I meant IE. But it's not what you're hoping it is.

Name Shockwave Flash Object

Publisher Adobe Systems Incorporated

Status Enabled

File date Monday, November 02, 2009, 3:24 PM

Version 10.0.22.87

Should I just use that remove button and get rid of it?

The only other Adobe add-on listed in IE is:

Name Adobe PDF Link Helper

Publisher Adobe Systems, Incorporated

Status Disabled

File date Friday, February 27, 2009, 11:07 AM

Version 9.1.0.163

Load time (0.17 s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my opinion on the status and what should be the process.

Can AVG be downloaded to the Desktop and installed from there? I would like to see that on your system, but not before

running the Norton and McAfee Uninstallers.

Download the Flash Player Uninstaller to your Desktop

Download the Installer for IE to your Desktop

Download the Installer for FF to your Desktop

Since you are going to need to Uninstall again to remove the old vs of SWO and disconnect from the Internet and disable

all anti-virus/firewalls, you might as well install Flash Player for Firefox.

After this is accomplished, then we can get the Java cleaned up.

Your thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've found the link to download AVG to desktop. Shall I then remove the

McAfee from the Add/Remove screen or some other way?

I still have the uninstall and IE install for Flash on my desktop. You haven't

guided me to a link for the Firefox install. I'm sure I can find that on my own

though as I have been past all those pages so many times. I just don't want to get

all mixed up with the DLM again as there's still that anomaly in Add/Remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

321, ok here is the link for the McAfee Removal Tool:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Step: Go to Add/Remove and if it is listed there, Remove and Reboot.

Follow steps 1 and 2 only from the Removal Tool site

If you can download the Removal Tool to the Desktop, do that.

Then close all browsers and Run the Tool, do not touch the keyboard until the Removal is completed.

Reboot.

Download the AVG and install and then update it to make sure you have all of the current definitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines