• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Can't I Download Flash Player?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have repeatedly tried to download Flash Player after getting pop-up messages from Adobe that tell me I cannot open attachments to emails because I need Flash Player 9.0 or higher.  The messages say to download the latest Flash Player click here.  I follow the instructions to the letter and get a message that the download of Flash Player 10 has successfully been completed.  Then the next time I try to open an email attachment I get the same failure message.  I have also gotten led to an Adobe tutorial entitled Flash Player | 64-bit operating systems which directs me to select the 32-bit Internet Explorer system on my computer by going to Start>Programs.  I followed the download instructions using the 32-bit IE system and the download message says that Flash Player 10.0 has been successful.  But I still cannot open the email attachments and still get the message that I need to download Flash Player 9.0 or higher.  If I go to my complete list of programs on the Install or Remove Programs, I find a listing for several Adobe products such as Acrobat, ReaderX, Digital each of which has a size in bytes.  Flash Player 10 is listed but there is nothing shown in the byte size column.

My computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion with an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHz  64-bit operating system using Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.  The default browser which I use is Internet Explorer 64-bit.

I'm 80 years old and trying hard to get along with computers.  Please know that any help provided on this frustrating problem will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  And please make your suggestions in great detail without assuming I know very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 01, 2011 Jul 01, 2011

Hi Alex, You are doing great!!!! On the Flash Player 9.0 and higher thing. A lot of websites will say that. What they mean is that you need at LEAST that version. In other words, if you had Flash Player version 8, you couldn't use their website. Hope that helps explain those messages. Of course they will support version 10, etc.

Flash Player after it's Installed is listed in Add/Remove (for XP), Programs & Features/Control Panel. Where you have all of your Programs listed, as Adobe Air, etc is wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James, Check and make sure the Shockwave Flash Object is Enabled in your IE manage addons.

In FF, look for the Shockwave Flash plugin and make sure it's Enabled.

Make sure you are using the 32bit browser and not the 64bit.

Also check this for IE: (you want this OFF, not on)

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.
To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.
To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

I don't have time to check on why Chrome is not working. Make sure your Anti-Virus is not blocking.

Also when you are trying to Install, all browser windows must be Closed.

Will check back later, but it's best to start you own topic as Pat suggested and flutie has done.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2011 Jul 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Alex, Just a note to advise not clicking on any websites that were posted by the last two entries.

Not safe and hopefully these "ads" won't be here too long.

[Moderator's note: the spam posts have been deleted]

Happy 4th !!

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb and thanks for the warning.  Since you successfully guided me to get the latest version of FP running on my PC and to get signed up for automatic notices of updates, I've seen but ignored the other emails that get posted to the thread.

My partner's PC has what seems to be the same problem that I had.  I'm trying to apply the advice you provided to see if will solve the problem there.  If not, should I open another thread or could I ask for help again on this thread?

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, That's the best to do. I realize other Forums prefer users post on the same thread, but Adobe for the most part do not. Too confusing for the users and the helpers(me:-)

On your friend, if you are able to help solve the issue then by all means. Just keep in mind each computer is configured differently and I don't recall as long as I've been here to find two identical issues/setups. Unless it was the Shockwave Flash Object that was Disabled and that and that alone fixed it.

An issue may be the same, as "I can't view videos", but the devil in the details is the WHY

If you know all of the answers and information that would be needed to help your friend, then you could start a new thread/discussion with a different subject line. If not, then it would be better for your friend to Register and start one. Either way, just reference your thread's URL (address). I think a new thread would be better, either in your name or your friends.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Moderator and for working on the Holiday as well

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost have that same problem. I have the old 8.0 version downloaded and when I go and hit download on the new version it goes to the next page

"According to your security settings you may encounter these steps"

& I sit there waiting for something to pop up and nothing pops up & I can't install it.. WTF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi melissa, Since this is an answered thread, you wil need to start your own discussion.

With your first post, furnish your computer info and browsers.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines