• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why isn't flash player being recognised?

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been unable to view internet videos etc for about 3 weeks.   It was working fine before then. I get the message "You need to upgrade Flash to version 9.0.155 or higher".

I'm running Vista 32-bit

IE 9

I have installed Flash Player 10.2.152

Macromedia file folder in W32 shows the files are there, including the.ocx file

IE Add-Ons show Adobe Shockwave Flash Object as enabled.

Active X filtering is turned off.

Internet zone security is medium.

Using Zone Alarm and AVG-free edition.
No viruses detected.

I have tried uninstalling Flash, re-start, then reinstalling.

I run install as administrator.

Must have uninstalled and re-installed at least 10 times.

Would be grateful for help on this forum.

(I've also done the registry check suggested in  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657743 and values are OK)

Message was edited by: rose_i_am

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks, that's helpful. You're right, the Flash files are all correct. Now I don't have IE9, but have to go on the placement of the addons as they are in IE6, IE7 and IE8. Under "Show" (IE8) there are 4 categories to look for addons. All addons and run without permission were the ones that listed Flash Player addons. I have always thot it was confusing the way IE separated them. Some are listed in more than one category and users think there are actually more:-)

If there is only one listed in "all addons", that is stranger yet. (shaking my head:-) I wonder how many users of the "real world" had input to the IE9 beta team? The one you listed is for the Shockwave Player, not Flash Player.

The SWO is listed in "currently loaded" Honestly, I'm still shaking my head; isn't it STILL an addon? No wonder people get confused. Currently loaded I have found means nothing, what is important, is it Enabled(working) or Disabled(not working)

Please excuse my amazement with these.

Go to the Control Panel and you will want to Remove all Java listings except the latest(6 U 24). When finished, Reboot your computer. Then check the Java addons and only the 1.6.0.24 should be listed. Yes, Java Installs more than one, so that's ok.

Probably different files. Any old Java poses security risks but most importantly for some reason the websites uses the "oldest" one. Don't ask me why.

I would then disable Silverlight, all Google addons, that 2SSV Java helper & the SVV helper Class. These are not needed and can be re-enabled if we can get to the bottom of this mystery, LOL

That Registry entry is interesting. I don't know what that means. Since it's a reference to that Flash file, it could have to do with Uninstalling. I think that Flash file when double clicked Uninstalls FP. Just a guess, but not sure.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Re the add-ons.  Think you may have misunderstood what I said. To clarify - ALL the add-ons are listed when I select 'all add-ons' including those that only appear when I select 'currently loaded'.

I've followed your instructions to remove Java except for the latest and then restarted.

Now  Java 1.6.0.24 is shown 3 times in the add-on list!!

Also disabled Silverlight, Google and SSV J Helper and SVV helper.

But ...... sorry to say,

It makes no difference.

www.bbc.co.uk website still says 'You do not have the correct version of the flash player',

and YouTube won't play video.

A reminder.  I first had this problem with IE8 and updated to IE9 in an effort to resolve it.

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, glad you clarifed the addon placements and what they included:-) Java Installs 3 in my browser also, who knows? Java is cleaned up so that's a plus.

Well, at least when you reach your goal of having SWO working, you'll have done a lot of checking and cleanup:-)

Until we can find out why that SWO isn't working, no Flash Content or any website that has videos will work. That SWO is to FP as gas is to a car.

That reminder is relevant, but with IE9 installed we don't know if the issue could have been fixed before. Perhaps the problem has been masked by IE9 or complicated by it.

There is a procedure called SubInACL which repairs Registry/Permission Issues. Take a look at it. Running that or contacting Microsoft I think at this point are your only choices. Uninstalling IE8/Installing IE9, either one could have caused a glitch in the Windows Registry.

We've done all I know externally. If it's an internal issue that's a different matter.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html   

See what you think of running that and then you can decide which you would rather do.

Thanks,

eidnolb        

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb

Thanks for your latest suggestion.  I followed those instructions to the letter.

Only improvement is that I now have an up-to-date back up of the laptop

and that the flash files in W32 now have today's date on them.

IE is still not recognising that Flash players is installed.

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Well, so that didn't take care of it. It looks like you are going to have to contact Microsoft since I think we've exhausted and more what can be done. The Technicians can look inside the system and see everything, where you and I can't.

I don't very often lose anyone to Microsoft, but this is one:-)

Let me know how you come out, please.

Thanks for all of your cooperation and hard work, since I know you have been the one following all of the directions and procedures. If it helps any, most of what I've had you do, I've done myself. Not the SubInACL or removing a Kill-bit tho, since I haven't had need of either of those. If I ever do, I'll contact you:-)

A lot of "fixes" out there, but whatever I've asked you to do are safe and known to work. Experimenting is not for my system or anyone else's. Too risky!!

Regards and I look forward to hearing from you after MS,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for all your suggestions eidnolb 🙂

I kept hoping that eventually we would get there and I'd be able to click the correct answer button.

I'll certainly update this thread when it's eventually sorted.

Bye for now

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I would have seen it answered also, for your sake:-)

If you get a Technician at MS that is difficult to understand, just agree yes, yes. Then call back. There is no point in trying to have a Technical Discussion with someone you can't understand.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2011 Mar 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well despite the best efforts of both the Microsoft Forum and the very patient eidolb here on the  Adobe Forum 🙂

the problem with my laptop couldn't be identified.  Microsoft support is not an option (too expensive in the UK for a home user).

As the flash player files were resident, I felt sure it was a problem with the registry.  And it was.

Having been introduced to regedit here on the Adobe forum, I spent a long time just looking at the settings of various registry keys.

Then I found a setting for the flash player called permissions.

When I clicked on Permissions the message was:

The permissions on Flash Player Active X are incorrectly ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective.

To order the permissions correctly, click Reorder, to leave the permissions unchanged, click cancel.

What did I have to lose?  Flash player wasn't working in IE anyway!

So I clicked Re-order, closed regedit and restarted.

Yeh!  Flash player now working 🙂

Then updated to latest FP 10.2.153.1 and still working.

No idea how the registry permissions became 'incorrectly ordered' but it really doesn't matter now.

So thanks again eidolb for all your time spent trying to help me.

By following all your clear instructions I've learned lots on my journey and without your help I'd never have gained the confidence and knowhow to experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2011 Mar 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rose!! WOW, you go girl  That is awesome. That is very interesting how you found that. If you remember the Registry Key for Flash Player Permissions that you found, I certainly would love to know it. I have a couple of threads that are having very similar issues that you were. We've been doing much of everything you & I did to try to solve the issue.Viruses/Kill-bit, etc.

Nothing is working.

I'm so glad you were brave enough to do that and it paid off big

Thanks so much for the feedback. Now I've learned something new. What you have found may solve a lot of issues that others are having.

Look forward to hearing your info on this puzzle that you solved!!

I'm amazed

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eidonlb.  Of course I'm happy to share the solution with you.

Looking at registry entries does no harm at all and if you don't find anything then you have at least eliminated one potential cause from your list.  But if you do think this is relevant and decide to proceed then it comes with a warning to everyone that making changes to your Registry is entirely at your own risk.

Start/Run type regedit

Click on HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE to expand the list.

then click on SOFTWARE to expand that list

then click on Macromedia ....

then click on Flash Player .....

Then RIGHT-click on Flash player and select the Permissions option.

That is the stage that I saw the pop-up message

"The Permissions on Flash Player ActiveX are incorrectly ordered which may cause some entries to be ineffective.

To order the Permissions correctly, click reorder, to leave the Permissions unchanged, click cancel."

If you don't see that message, then the Permissions would be OK.

Note:  My laptop was running Vista so I had to turn of User Account Control in order to be able to change the Permissions.

I clicked 'Reorder' and closed the Registry Editor.

I opened IE and checked the Adobe page

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
and was delighted to see that animation!  Checked I could now play YouTube and iplayer videos and then set a system restore point.

Hope this may be of help to someone else.

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Rose, Reading that last part when you could see the Flash Player logo animation:-) I can just imagine how delighted you were Especially after all you had been through time after time.

Your directions on how you accomplished this are great and the details are so good. I don't know how you remembered all of it. I have my own way, I do one thing and write it down, then repeat until finished:-)

What I find so helpful is that your way was easier than the SubInACL and not so technical. That procedure didn't work for you. Now maybe it works for some, but it makes one wonder why it doesn't work for everyone.

I so appreciate you sharing on how you did this. You deserve a 5 STAR!!! And if I could give you those, I certainly would

Oh, you can believe this will help many users and I'll refer your thread!!

Yes, the UAC:-) With Win7 they have Settings for that, instead of just an On or Off as with Vista.

Thanks again

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been having the same problem--my browser does not recognize Flash Player.

This is a brand new laptop. It's a Windows 7 OS 64 bit, but I have used both IE 9 32 bit and Firefox 5 and cannot play videos, nor does that particular adobe link recognize that I have any version installed.

I've looked through Adobe's Flash troubleshooting and through this thread in particular--nothing has worked. I don't have spyware or malware, either, because this computer is barely a month old and I have been on very few sites. I'm thinking it may be trouble with the Add-ons? That's the only thing I've extensively messed with.

Any ideas for this one?

Thanks,

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edit: i will look through some of the other threads first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start you own topic; that is much easier to handle than a post at the end of a resolved topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines