1000s of hours ruined because of flash removal.......................life work in vain.

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 71 years old and for the last 40 years, I have bred and trained and hunted with bird dogs and hounds. I have written a personal account of every outing and training session and recorded hundreds of video since 1981. Finally, I typed and edited the whole thing and burned several copies on Archival bluray m-discs so that my grandchildren could one day use Adobe reader to view all the PDF files with over 700 embedded .flv videos. These were created with Acrobat 9 pro. I learned a few days ago that Adobe just stopped supporting  their own .flv files  and that it is impossible to obtain a copy of the older software on CD from them. This is borderline extortion and I feel betrayed and fear that the thousands of hours that I spent on my documents may have been in vain, if the embedded videos cannot be accessed.  A CD is important, because without it, the download site will surely have disappeared within a couple of years and all my work will have been for nothing. Can anybody help? I need 3 more CDs that are compatible with Adobe Reader 9 to give to my grandchildren. 

Thank you!

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021
Hi @guy5F9E, 1. Acrobat and Acrobat Reader are totally separate from Flash Player.   Flash dependencies were removed from recent versions of Acrobat. 2. Acrobat 9 is dead and no longer available.  3. Most PDFs can be viewed in the latest versions of Acrobat.  See links below.   FREE Acrobat Reader -- view, comment, print & sign PDF.https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.htmlPaid Acrobat Pro DC -- the complete solution for creating and saving PDF.https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/acrobat-pro.html...

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @guy5F9E,

1. Acrobat and Acrobat Reader are totally separate from Flash Player.   Flash dependencies were removed from recent versions of Acrobat.

2. Acrobat 9 is dead and no longer available. 

3. Most PDFs can be viewed in the latest versions of Acrobat.  See links below.

FREE Acrobat Reader -- view, comment, print & sign PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Paid Acrobat Pro DC -- the complete solution for creating and saving PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/acrobat-pro.html

With regard to your videos, I hope for your sake you stored your native video files (MPEG, AVI, etc..) in a safe place.  You will need them to convert to a more universal file type like MP4 which all devices can access.

I remember having to pay a professional lab in Hollywood, CA a large sum to convert my uncle's Super8 and 16MM films of the family to a format everyone could access.  And now I need to convert to another format because VHS is dead and BluRay, CDs and DVDs are fast becoming obsolete.  The only thing that's certain is that nothing lasts forever.  Technology is constantly evolving.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like an amazing project and a real labor of love.   As OP mentioned, hopefully you have the source files to migrate the videos to some other technology.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines