• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

11.1.102.62 and Win2K install - SetDllDirectoryW not supported

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been merrily upgrading Flash Player for Firefox over the years on my Windows 2000 SP4 machine, up through and including 11.1.102.55.

The installation program for 11.1.102.62 however, relies on the SetDllDirectory call, which sadly is not supported in Win2K kernel.dll.

Can you go back to using the LoadLibrary call so that Win2K users can continue to benefit from the latest patches and upgrades?

Thank you,

M. Miller

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andyross63 wrote:

Technically, Win2K is NOT supported for Flash 11.x, and never was. We were just lucky that it did work.

The real issue is not with Flash itself, but the installer.

Interesting. I always got v10.3 from its web site in the past, so I assume v11.x would not work at all. Today, v11 is offered. Now, v10.3 won't install. Sheesh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the really stupid problem. When they updated 10.x (which is still supported by Adobe) for the latest security issues, they also updated the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andyross63 wrote:

That's the really stupid problem. When they updated 10.x (which is still supported by Adobe) for the latest security issues, they also updated the installer.

Hence, why this is a bug. Adobe messed up! Why should we go back to v10.1? Sheesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not a bug!  Should Adobe also still support Windows 95?  Or Windows 3.1?

Technology moves forward, and at some point it simply becomes hopeless to provide backwards compatibility for outdated systems. Windows 2000 was released 13 years ago; Microsoft has ended support for it two years ago, so why should other software makers continue to support it?

This topic is now closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pat!  Following the instructions posted in post #21 I had a failure still but then rebooted, and then it worked fine to install version 11 on a Win2K SP4 system, though it then warned me of an incompatiblity with a Realplayer updater which is suspicious, but whatever. 

Now I ask, is there any negative effect to just leaving this wrapper thing installed?  Seems like it would be handy to have around if the next Flash version installer has the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ninja Cats wrote:

Thank you Pat!  Following the instructions posted in post #21 I had a failure still but then rebooted, and then it worked fine to install version 11 on a Win2K SP4 system, though it then warned me of an incompatiblity with a Realplayer updater which is suspicious, but whatever. 

Now I ask, is there any negative effect to just leaving this wrapper thing installed?  Seems like it would be handy to have around if the next Flash version installer has the same issue.

Yes Ninja a reboot is required for the modifications to the registry to be applied.

I have been getting the incompatibility warning about Realplayer for a while with past updates that ran fine using the standard installer, probably some old verison of realplayer installed before, so the warning should not be that suspicious.

I plan on leaving the KDW wrapper files (you seem to have used the OCW wapper) in place in the folder where I installed them to use again if (read when) the next updates installer has the same SetDllDirectoryW issue (or any other issues).

Glad you got the updates working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mrs Clift wrote:

Hi Ortwin, clicked on your link but sadly my German is not that good Have same problem as M_Miller and would like some help. Will go and vote re bug,

Thanks

Hi Mrs Clift,

sorry for that and for the late reply. I have not checked my subscriptions due to illness.

I will try to add an english translation to my blog entry within the next days. Thx for your feedback.

regards from germany

Ortwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oldperl wrote:

Mrs Clift wrote:

Hi Ortwin, clicked on your link but sadly my German is not that good Have same problem as M_Miller and would like some help. Will go and vote re bug,

Thanks

Hi Mrs Clift,

sorry for that and for the late reply. I have not checked my subscriptions due to illness.

I will try to add an english translation to my blog entry within the next days. Thx for your feedback.

regards from germany

Ortwin

So for all non-German speaking people i just added an english version of my blog-article using OldCigaret wrapper to install Flash-Player-Updates.

Please use this link http://www.ortwinpinke.de/en/2012/03/13/install-adobe-flash-player-11110262-and-later-under-windows-...

Feel free to add a comment, also if you will find any mistakes in my english.

Regards from germany

Ortwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oldperl... just a mistake in the creation of the link above, as it has an extra http:// at the end of the embedded link that causes the page to not load correctly:

Corrected link for previous post

http://www.ortwinpinke.de/en/2012/03/13/install-adobe-flash-player-11110262-and-later-under-windows-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Fortune wrote:

Oldperl... just a mistake in the creation of the link above, as it has an extra http:// at the end of the embedded link that causes the page to not load correctly

Thx a lot. It's stupid that you cannot edit your own postings after some time!

Mrs Clift wrote:

Thank you also to Ortwin for adding an English version, I am sure it will be beneficial to others but sadly, not me! Ps, Ortwin, I hope you're feeling better!

Your welcome Mrs Clift. I hope it will help other non-german-speeking people. And thx for the well wishes, I'm feeling better again.

Regards from germany

Ortwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oldperl,

I have taken a look at this and it appears promising.  I will attempt to do this later in the week and see if it works.

Thank you,

M. Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny: I logged into my computer today, and Adobe popped up saying Flash needs to be udpated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have Windows 2000 pro.

I got the same  error when installing the update.

I uninstalled Flash Player and have now re-tried installing the  Flash Player.

from  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Getting the error :

" Procedure entry point SetDIIDirectoryW could not be located in dynamic link library kernel32.dll  "

I'd appreciate it if Adobe  could kindly solve this problem.

It was so easy before. Now I am not sure .  The procedures which have been kindly suggested are too complicated.

I have uninstalled the old program by mistake thinking that the new software will have the missing file !  No flash player at all on my system now !

Thanks

JM_fab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JM_fab. It warmed my cockles to discover so many people wanting to help but I'm not going to try and poke around (see, I know the technical term) in directories and whatnot. Adobe should have an update available that works on Win2K etc. I have now given up so thanks again for all replies but I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do? Thank you also to Ortwin for adding an English version, I am sure it will be beneficial to others but sadly, not me! Ps, Ortwin, I hope you're feeling better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the latest Win2K compatible versions of 11.1.102.55:

IE: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/10987/

Others: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/10991/

Personally, I have always downloaded the stand-alone installers, and put them in an archive directory. Since they always use the same name, I have to use subdirectories with the version numbers. I do that with alot of software, and it's made it easier to backtrack when a newer version has problems.

If Adobe has official copies of older versions available, please post the links in case users do not want to rely on a 3rd party site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be mentioned the Adobe archive link leads to .ZIP files that contain all platforms for each version. The 11.1.102.55 archive is 175M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andyross63 wrote:

Personally, I have always downloaded the stand-alone installers, and put them in an archive directory. Since they always use the same name, I have to use subdirectories with the version numbers. I do that with alot of software, and it's made it easier to backtrack when a newer version has problems.

I just copy the version # before downloading and paste it into the filename box on the download so they're already identifiable w/o subdirectories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is very simple: run any hex editor (e.g. Hiew), open InstallFlashPlayer.exe, find SetDllDirectoryW and change it to GetModuleHandleW

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

notbebe,

Thank you for your workaround!  You are a SUPER GENIUS!  Even better than Wile E. Coyote!

Mrs. Clift, are you still reading this thread?  Doing the workaround suggested by notbebe is as easy as editing a long text document using a word processor, searching for something in it like "I have a gray dog." and then changing that text to something similar like "I miss my old cat."  After changing the text, you save the changes and you're done.

The only differences are that you're not using a word processor (you're using a very simple "hex editor" like "HxD") and it's not a text document you're editing (it's the latest Flash Player installer program).

I'll try to provide instructions that should be easy to follow.  Here we go!

Do a google search for HxD (that's capital H, small x, capital D) and download and install that program.  The link to the pertinent website I have from my installed copy of this free program (Version 1.7.7.0) is:  http://www.mh-nexus.de

Tell it to put a shortcut on your desktop when it asks.  The shortcut's icon will look like a green capital letter H, a black small letter x, and a white capital letter D on an orange background.

Then download the (latest) Adobe Flash updater program you'd like to install.

For Flash Player 11 for Internet Explorer, use the following link:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Internet_Explorer_(32_bit)

For Flash Player 11 for other browsers (like Firefox or Opera), use the following link:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers_(32_bit)

Now you have the Flash program(s) that give you that crazy-looking error mentioned at the top of this thread when you try to run them on your Windows 2000 pc on which you haven't felt ready to go through the various steps (explained in earlier postings) needed to apply the "wrapper" patches.

Never fear -- you can now EDIT those files so they WILL run on your Windows 2000 pc's as they are!

Let's assume that you've downloaded the file to apply the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player to your Internet Explorer web browser.  That file would be named:   install_flash_player_ax_32bit.exe

Open the HxD editor you've installed and do (only) the following after it opens:

Click on File, Open (or press Ctrl+O on your keyboard, if you prefer) and browse to the folder containing the install_flash_player_ax_32bit.exe file.  Double-click that file in the Open dialog box to open it.  You'll see a funky screen with blue numbers along the left and across the top, 16 columns of "base 16" numbers (that's what hexadecimal means, hence a "hex" editor), and lots of "gibberish" in another 16-characters-wide section on the right.  Don't be intimidated by any of this.  It's like opening your car and looking at the engine and all the gizmos under the hood.  If all we want to do is check the oil and leave the other stuff alone, we'll be fine.  🙂   So that's what we're going to do.

We are going to search for the "SetDllDirectoryW" text and change it to "GetModuleHandleW" and then we are going to save this change and quit.  That's all.  Just like the text example I cited above.  Simple.

Just like checking the oil in a car, only not as messy.  🙂

Press the F3 key.  This is the "Find again" shortcut in the HxD editor.  Since this is the FIRST TIME you're doing this, it won't "remember" anything to find from before.  This is where you (very carefully, because it will "remember" and you won't have to type the whole thing again anymore) type into the "Search for" box the text for which you want to search, i.e., typeSetDllDirectoryW

You should read that as "set dee el el directory double you"  (DLL is geek speak for something called a Dynamic Link Library.)  I don't know if "case" matters -- I just typed it the way notbebe gave it above.

It should look something like this (I'm showing the text highlighted):

http://www.arbornet.org/~ncweb/4flash/1--F3_means_Find_again.jpg

Then click on the "OK" button (or press the "Enter" key on your keyboard).

You should then see something like this:

http://www.arbornet.org/~ncweb/4flash/2--after_the_F3_find.jpg

Crazy at it may seem, those hexadecimal numbers (53, 65, 74, 44, 6C, 6C...) actually correspond to the letters we understand a little better (SetDll...).  Here is where you will very carefully edit them.  Remember -- we're only changing SetDllDirectoryW to GetModuleHandleW (and nothing else).  Some of the letters in these 16-character groups are the same, and some are different.  The ones that you will change will be shown in red where they differ from the originals.

VERY CAREFULLY click your mouse in the "section on the right" where you can see the "SetDllDirectoryW" letters.  Try to click just before the capital letter "S" when you do this.

Then VERY CAREFULLY type ONLY:  GetModuleHandleW so that those 16 characters replace the 16 characters in SetDllDirectoryW.  You don't even have to type the final "W" since it's the same.

When you've typed those "replacement letters," it should look like this:

http://www.arbornet.org/~ncweb/4flash/3--after_changing_text.jpg

See how the changed letters (and their hexadecimal "counterparts") are shown in red?  Check to make sure you didn't mistype anything.  YAY -- you're done typing!  (If you happen to make a mistake, you should be able to easily correct it.  If for whatever reason things ever look like they're totally out of hand, you can always quit (without saving changes) and start over.)  Now all you have to do is save your changes!  Let's save the changes the following way to keep it simple:

Close out the HxD program by clicking on its "close button" -- the "X" in the far upper right corner -- the one "on top of" the other one.   When it asks if you want to save the changes, click Yes.

HxD is such a nice hex editor that it AUTOMATICALLY saves a BACKUP of the ORIGINAL file in case anything went wrong!  (That backup has a file suffix that ends in ".bak" so you can easily tell.)

Not only that, but now anytime you edit one of these Adobe Flash installation programs again and need to make the same change, all you'll have to do (since you did it properly the first time as I wrote above) after opening the file for editing is to press the following three keys to do the search:

F3                    (Again, that is the F3 key, NOT the letter F followed by the numeral 3)

Down-arrow       (Yes, the arrow on your keyboard that points down.)

Enter

All you have to remember is to type GetModuleHandleW as the replacement text (and save the changes).  Now you can download the Flash installer, tweak it, and run it without any problem on your pristine Windows 2000 pc, and you'll be up-to-date!  (Say it over and over to yourself to memorize it:  "Get module handle double you"  (or just copy it to a text file so you remember what it is).

This should work well for you.  Have a nice day.  Please say a prayer for me and my family.  (My uncle died last month and the named executor of the will is currently being kind of nasty to the rest of us.)

Sincerely,

AcroNot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's too hard to scroll to see those wide illustrations shown in my posting above, you may find them here:

http://www.arbornet.org/~ncweb/4flash/2--after_the_F3_find.jpg

http://www.arbornet.org/~ncweb/4flash/3--after_changing_text.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice catch... odd that something so simple would cause so many problems.

I already have the "wrapper" set up and am using it, but I will keep this in the toolbox..

@Acro.. thanks for the detailed write up for those who need it. On a side note, sorry to hear about your uncle. I hope everything works out OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: notbebe,  on May 18, 2012 12:46 PM

EXCELLENT.  Simple. Easy. It Worked. Fast (only one replacement/substitution required). Efficient.

KUDOS to you and all who follow in your bloodline.

Cheers and thanks,

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines