• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash hard freezes computer in all browsers!

Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 and I'm using Firefox. Everything is up to date. Adobe hard freezes my computer, but only certain videos do it. I found out that it's the non-HTML5 videos that do it, and other videos are fine. YouTube videos always work for me just fine, but most of the videos shown they post on MSN completely locks up my computer. I have tried manually uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, deleting files related to Flash that a normal uninstallation does not remove. No luck. Internet Explorer and Google Chrome do the same thing.

This all started after I made the stupid decision to use ComboFIX in order to try and fix a certain issue I was having. Flash was working fine before that. I've reinstalled Windows since then, but it wasn't a clean reinstall(I really don't want to do that), and it didn't really help too much. I'm thinking maybe this is a registry issue?

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please work through the video troubleshooting guide.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

In particular, check out the part about disabling hardware acceleration.  Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. That's one of the first things I tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, registry cleaners can definitely leave the machine in a bad state.  Microsoft has a lot to say about them, all of which basically comes down to "don't".

I'm definitely not aware of a widespread issue where we're taking down machines.

We don't have direct access to the hardware, so it's pretty difficult to take the whole machine down ourselves.  What's much more likely, is that we're calling into an intermediary Windows API in a totally reasonable way, but in the context of your system, it tickles the thing that ultimately brings the system down. 

In most cases, this is usually a case of ticking a video driver bug.  The driver *does* have direct hardware access, and can definitely bring the whole machine down.  This is why I was asking about disabling hardware acceleration.

In your case, it sounds like Windows might not be in a great state.  Instead of a driver issue, it might be a privileged system call (windows kernel, etc.), which ultimately leads to the crash.  A scenario where a privileged system call gets some garbage (or nonexistent) registry data and then operates on it would be a pretty reasonable guess. 

Analyzing the crash dump and tracking it back to some discrete action that you could take to "fix" the issue would be far more painful and time consuming than doing a clean install, and would likely have a much, much lower chance of success.  It sounds like you've already explored the reasonable things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't want to have to do a clean install, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I did remember one other thing I've tried, which is going into safe mode(with networking) and playing a non-HTML5 video. Same result. Thanks for trying to help. I guess I'll just wait until either someone comes along who knows what the issue might be, or until I figure this out myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried sanity checking the hard disk?  It's relatively low on my list of good ideas, but it easy, and you might get lucky.

Check your hard disk for errors - Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

After sanity-checking the disk, try system file checker:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have tried that in the past, but I will try it again and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to reply back. I tried both of those things, but unfortunately had no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At this point, if it's actually crashing, I really need a crash dump to tell you what's going on.  Your symptoms are super weird, and I'm out of good guesses.  I'm pretty sure it's crashing below us, but I need concrete data to give you a real answer.

Please see the following guide on how to report a crash or error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/report-flash-player-crash.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines