Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash installation fails MSI deployment

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear support team,

I am trying to deploy Flash Player 23.0.0.207 msi using GPO.  The deployment seems to be working fine as in the installed program list I can find both the Adobe Flash Player 23 ActiveX & NPAPI.  However, when I verify if the installation went well on "Adobe - Flash Player " it seems like there is no Flash version installed.  I only have the grey box displayed.

If I manually try to install it, I am prompted with a "You must have administrative privileges to install Flash Player 23.  Please log on with administrative privileges and try again". I should be able to install it since I'm connected using a domain admin account.

The only way to make it work is by launching a command prompt as admin and launch an msiexec /i of the Flash Player msi package...

This isn't good as we have a lot of machine to deploy this package to.

Do you have any advice for me ?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jean-Christophe

Please find the link to a msiexec verbose file (when it works using the cmd as admin):

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'd like to get some more information from you.  Please provide the following:

1. Screenshot of "You must have administrative privileges to install Flash Player 23". (How do I attach a screenshot?)
  2. Which browsers are being used to determine if the Flash Player installed correctly, when installed via GPO?
    1. When Flash Player is installed via GPO and the browser doesn't detect Flash is installed, do the Flash Player entries display in Control Panel > Programs and Features?
  3. What user account is being used to run the installer via GPO?
  4. Verbose MSI log using verbose AND additional debugging options (Logging options v and x (see Command-Line Options (Windows) )
  5. Flash Player installation log file(s):
    • 32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log
    • 64-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log (both files are needed if the OS is 64-bit).

Note the Verbose+Additional Debugging MSI log file and FlashIinstall.log files must be from the same machine and for the same installation attempt, not different installation attempts.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please find my answers below

2. I used both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.  In the Control Panel > Programs & Features there are both the Flash Player NPAPI & Active X versions.

3. I believe the account used is the default one - which is (if I'm correct) the local system account.

Here is the link to the log files & screenshot:

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Thanks for your support,

Jean-Christophe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  We are investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Have you had any luck finding a possible cause/solution of our issue?

Many thanks for your effort on this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Thank you for providing the requested information.

For the screenshot, it clearly shows that the user attempting to install Flash Player does not have Admin permissions.

Reviewing the log files, it's not clear if the logs all come from the same system, or multiple systems.  It's imperative that when providing logs that ALL log files come from the same system.  If you provide logs from multiple systems, clearly identify them as being from multiple systems, and which ones go together.

With that said, we need more information from you:

1. On an impacted system, where Flash Player ActiveX and NPAPI  failed to installed, launch the browser and navigate to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html and click the 'check now' button.  Post a screenshot of the results (for both ActiveX and NPAPI.  See How do I attach a screenshot for instructions on taking, and attaching a screenshot.

2. Which account(s) is/are actually running the MSI installer (via msiexec.exe) when installed via GPO and when installed locally.  To find out, do the following:
    1. When installing via GPO:
      1. Download Microsoft's  Process Monitor​ on an impacted system
      2. Launch Process Monitor
      3. Delete any default filters and add the filter:
        • Process Name
        • contains
        • msiexec
      4. Perform the GPO installation on the system Process Monitor is running on.
      5. Check to see if the NPAPI and/or ActiveX installation failed by going to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html page and clicking the 'check now' button
      6. Save the Process Monitor log file as Native Process Monitor format (PML)  with the following save options:
        • Events dispalyed using current filter
        • Also include profiling events
      7. Save the file with the following name: GPO_Installation.PML

1. When installing directly from the Desktop:
      1. Launch Process Monitor
      2. Delete any default filters and add the filter (see screenshot above):
        • Process Name
        • contains
        • msiexec
      3. Perform the installation locally from the desktop
      4. When the error is returned close out of the error
      5. Save the Process Monitor log file as Native Process Monitor format (PML) with the following save options:
        • Events dispalyed using current filter
        • Also include profiling events
      6. Save the file with the following name: Local_Desktop_Installation.PML

Upload all requested files (screenshots and Process Monitor log files) to cloud.acrobat.com/send and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines