• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player 11 Won't Install Mac OS X 10.8.5

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted to install the FlashPlayer 11 update today and the installer crashes during the installation.  I am using Mac OS X 10.8.5 and Safari 6.0.5.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall a fresh installation of FlashPlayer but with the same end result the installer crashes just a few percentage points into the install process.

Please advise?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

I fixed this issue restoring /mach_kernel (which was missing in my MacOS installation) and reinstalling Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've met the same problem.

Can't install FlashPlayer 11.9 on OS X 10.8.5.

And after uninstalled the older version, I can't install FlashPlayer on OS X 10.8.5 anymore.

flashplayer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem as Foenix.

I can't install Flashplayer on my disk.

mac 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same error. And I have version Safari and OS X that mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it do under another user account? (Directed to all who have posted here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't helped me. Here screenshot

Снимок экрана 2013-10-10 в 14.17.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem except flash player doesnt crash, it just doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT does that error text translate into in English? (Sorry, I know Spanish and French in addition to my native lingo, but that's it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's Russian language. In message says: "Error. Common install error"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: How to perform a "clean install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X

That usually elimiates install errors by doing it offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that topic and it's not help me. Now I revert to previous version 11.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No can do... Safari is coded by Mac to not allow reversions of plugins. You'll end up with "Blocked plugin" errors and then you won't be able to update either.

Try resetting Safari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this issue restoring /mach_kernel (which was missing in my MacOS installation) and reinstalling Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! You are the only one who had the answer! After a recent Mac update, the supposed-to-be invisible "mach_kernal" was showing right in the root of my hard drive. I stupidly deleted it. That's why the latest Flash update wouldn't install!

To restore mach_kernal from TimeMachine, you need to make hidden files visible in Finder (and thereby Time Machine), like this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Now go to Time Machine and go back to a date when you still had that file "mach_kernel" and restore it.

Now go back to terminal to return Finder to its normal state:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to make it invisible again, open a terminal and type

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeffreyjamessyrop wrote:

Thank you!!! You are the only one who had the answer! After a recent Mac update, the supposed-to-be invisible "mach_kernal" was showing right in the root of my hard drive. I stupidly deleted it. That's why the latest Flash update wouldn't install!

THAT IS NOT a Flash Player or Adobe problem. NO ONE here is responsible if you deleted your Kernel file without thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C F McBlob wrote:

jeffreyjamessyrop wrote:

THAT IS NOT a Flash Player or Adobe problem. NO ONE here is responsible if you deleted your Kernel file without thinking.

Did anybody say this is a Flash/Adobe problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that this thread exists here.... is proof that someone believed it was, whether they came right out and said it or not.

I've seen about a hundred posts this week in the Apple forums, from others who did this exact thing. They saw a file. They had no idea what it was. Rather than Google it and find out, they deleted it. Now things don't work.

I knew what it was. I DIDN'T know why it was suddenyl "visible" but I left ti alone till I leanred what had happened and I used Terminal to hide it again.

If you DON'T KNOW what it is or what it does, LEAVE IT ALONE until you've researched it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I googled A LOT before finding out this solution. If we are in trouble, we should help each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do me a solid, eh? Go back through EVERY post (1 through 11) and point out to me WHERE anyone said they'd deleted their mach kernel file.  Just one instance will do. I'm not picky. Helping each other depends A LOT on those who need help being forthcoming. Several people who posted in the Apple forums claimed the UPDATE killed their OS. Because they were too embarrassed to admit that THEY'D done it? Who knows? If you go to the emergency room with a broken arm and tell them, "I just woke up and found it that way", you're probably going to get a mental evaluation in addition to a cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you can't stand this thread, right? Wouldn't it be simpler if you just didn't care that much? People had a problem, we found a solution... so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're NOT going to point out where anyone was open enough to say what they did to their system that caused this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... let me try to figure it out.

Some apps are buggy (I'm NOT talking about Flash, here) and usually put junk files somewhere. When users see a new file somewhere, they often think it's junk and they delete it. Days later, they don't even remember they did it.

Now: many users deleted mach_kernel thinking it was junk... and they forgot they deleted it. When Flash refused to install, they just wondered "What's happening?" and they talked about this issue here. It's not the end of the world, IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

egon1984, send me your email and I'll send you an interesting correspondence I had with Mr. McBlob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got email notifications for those messages he posted in the meanwhile, so I've read them.

I'm not surprised they don't appear here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines