• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player video lagging and chopping on all browsers via integrated GPU.

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone,

So I would need assistance in fixing an issue. On my old PC I have installed the newest version of Adobe FlashPlayer. On the PC HTML5 videos are fine, but flash videos are laggy and choppy on all browsers. I have an Intel Pentium Dual Core in the PC with 2Gb RAM. As I told this only happens on flash videos on downloaded, or HTML5 videos not. What could solve the issue? Would graphic card help (At the moment I don't have one in the PC)?

Cheers,

Zoltán

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum by a moderator.]

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Keep in mind my note about how not all videos are encoded in a way that lets them be hardware accelerated, and not all video players are written to take advantage of hardware acceleration.

That said, *if* hardware acceleration should be used, but isn't -- it's usually because you've got a really old GPU, and either the hardware or drivers were buggy enough that we blacklisted a particular driver version, and/or the card itself.

In general, Facebook videos tend to be HTML5, but it depends, and it'

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP! Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TL;DR:  If you're just downloading FLV videos and playing them locally, you'd probably have much better results using VLC, instead of dragging them into a browser window.

Flash Player is not a video player.  It's a language runtime, similar to Java.  You can build a video player on top of Flash Player, but Flash Player is not a video player itself.

More importantly, in order to get Flash Player to use hardware video acceleration, you need to use the StageVideo APIs.  Flash Player pre-dates both H.264 and the widespread availability of hardware video decoding in commodity consumer hardware, and there's a lot of legacy content that depends on the original software-based video playback behavior.  Long story short, you get software-based video playback, and you're experiencing CPU contention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright! So would hardware video acceleration help? How can I use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to build (or find) a video player built using ActionScript 3 and the StageVideo APIs, which would then load video files from your local filesystem.  At that point, *if* the videos are encoded in conformance with the requirements that would allow them to be hardware accelerated, they would be.  If they're not, then they would fall back to software encoding.

Video Learning Guide for Flash | Adobe Developer Connection

Seriously though, if you just want to watch videos that end with .flv, use a dedicated video player like VLC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course for downloaded videos I use VLC but what shall I do with Facebook videos, which require flash player? Those videos are laggy And these videos do not run without flash player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Keep in mind my note about how not all videos are encoded in a way that lets them be hardware accelerated, and not all video players are written to take advantage of hardware acceleration.

That said, *if* hardware acceleration should be used, but isn't -- it's usually because you've got a really old GPU, and either the hardware or drivers were buggy enough that we blacklisted a particular driver version, and/or the card itself.

In general, Facebook videos tend to be HTML5, but it depends, and it's constantly changing, so it's hard for me to make any informed statements there.  You can figure out if it's Flash by right-clicking on the video.  If it doesn't say About Flash Player at the bottom of the context menu, we're not playing the video.

First things first, make sure you're running the latest browser version and graphics drivers for your system.  Also, the output of the DirectX diagnostic tool would give me a good inventory of your hardware and drivers.  Both things are covered in the video troubleshooting guide, below.  Make sure that you *do* have hardware acceleration enabled, although it should be on by default.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

If that doesn't help, use Chrome, and go to chrome://gpu.  Chrome has really good GPU diagnostics.  It's also the case that if the browser blacklists a card or driver, it's not going to be available to us, either.  If you can copy and paste the output of the chrome://gpu page, that would really help me understand what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines