Exit

Adobe Player install fail: insufficient permissions

New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Home

Firefox, v53.0.3 (32-bit)

I am logged in as administrator. Trying to install Adobe Flash latest version. No flash on system now. I don't understand why. I've tried to install several times using different downloads. All have failed- see screenshot above.

Have rebooted computer. Have turned off Security software (Malwarebytes, which is an adjunct). Refuse to turn off Kapersky, which has never caused problems with any download.

This has never happened before. Why is it happening now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the following information so that we may investigate further:

• What version of Flash Player, if any is currently installed on the system?
  • Provide the install log files as follows:
    • Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    • Make a copy of the FlashInstall.log file and rename the copied file to FlashInstall32.log
    • Take a screenshot of the contents of the C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash directory
    • Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    • Make a copy of the FlashInstall.log file and rename the copied file to FlashInstall64.log
    • Take a screenshot of the contents of the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash directory
    • Upload both log files and both screenshots to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7161​
    • Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply

Refuse to turn off Kapersky, which has never caused problems with any download.

Unfortunately, Kaspersky has been known to cause some issues, not always, but it has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

As far as I can tell, there is no working version of Adobe Flash on my computer at this time. Could the install have removed an existing version and then not have been able to install?

Good grief, what do people do who do not have some experience with this sort of thing? This would be painful. And frustrating. Sure hope it leads to a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Based on the log file, it appears Flash Player NPAPI plugin for Firefox was successfully installed on May 9th, via Background Update (silent auto-update mechanism, requiring no user interaction.  Then on May 31st, there were a series of failed attempts to re-install the same version.

Please follow the instructions at How do I do a clean install of Flash Player - Windows?  to perform a complete uninstall of Flash Player, and then re-install it.  At step 6, please be sure to NOT delete the FlashInstall.log files.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Based on the log file, it appears Flash Player NPAPI plugin for Firefox was successfully installed on May 9th, via Background Update (silent auto-update mechanism, requiring no user interaction.

That is about when I started having problems. Odd that Win10 list of installed programs did not list it. I tried several browsers. Sometimes Edge would work, sometimes Chrome sort of did. Then it all quit. Firefox could do everything except Facebook. That's why I mentioned using two browsers, though FB went down. Then Friday and this morning, I couldn't connect to a legislative session I need to follow. That's bad.

>>Then on May 31st, there were a series of failed attempts to re-install the same version.

Yep. That is what I was trying to do. Adobe installer wouldn't let me. That's why I wrote. Supposedly, Adobe Installer should allow me to overwrite a previous version. Apparently it didn't, and the glitch re "permissions" kept me from proceeding with installation.

I followed instructions outlined below, and it appears that I have a successful install. Win10 shows it in program list. Firefox is now running Facebook, and I was able to watch this morning legislative session Firefox as well- which really really simplifies my life.

I will wait to make sure everything is working the way it should before marking this as solved.

Thank you for the much clearer instructions. And I appreciate you taking the time to work on this. I left the FlashInstall.log files in place. I didn't even look at them.

Annie Stratton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update. I'm glad the clean uninstall/install worked.

Odd that Win10 list of installed programs did not list it

This is odd.  The NPAPI plugin (used by Firefox) should have been listed in the Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features.  When the installer first runs, it first runs an uninstaller routine to uninstall Flash Player (of the same player type*) if it exists on the system. It's possible one of the re-install attempts on May 31 partially removed the NPAPI plugin that was installed on May 9. This could explain why the files were present in the \Macromed\Flash directories, but the entry was not present in Programs and Features.

*player type refers to NPAPI plugin for Firefox, PPAPI plugin for Chromium-based browsers, or ActiveX Control for IE/Edge.

Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE and Edge. This embedded of Flash Player (ActiveX Control) will not display in the list of installed programs

Google also embeds Flash Player in Chrome.  This embedded version of Flash Player (PPAPI plugin) will not display in the list of installed programs.  However, if the user installs the PAPPI plugin (downloaded from adobe.com) it will display in the list of installed programs.  If the non-embedded version is equal to, or higher version. than the embedded version, Chrome will use the non-embedded version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spoke too soon. Facebook locked up Firefox shortly after I sent last message. I dumped out using Task Manager, and closed FB tabs before it loaded. Looks like I am still stuck with using two browsers. Can Adobe and Facebook get together and figure out what is going on? An awful lot of folks seem to be experiencing this.

<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

Annie Stratton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines