Exit

'Application initialization error' installing Adobe Flash Player on MacOS 10.14

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

• macOS Mojave 10.14.2
  • Google Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Flash Player 32.0.0.171
  • Adobe Flash Player Install Manager keeps popping up and suggesting me to update Flash Player, despite that I have the latest version. When I am trying to install the update again, either an initialization problem occurs or the downloading after initialization gets stuck on 5%. What should I do?

[moderator: edited title for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed information and screenshots.  It's been very helpful.

On Mac, the 'Initialization' error usually occurs when the installer APP is extracted from the DMG image.  Based on what I can see in the screenshots, it's not clear if this is the case or not.

If you did extract the installer App from the DMG, please retry without extracting it.  Just double-click the downloaded DMG file, then when the contents of the DMG file display, double-click on the installer APP

If you didn't extract the App file from the DMG, I'd like to review the installation log files saved at ~/Library/Logs/Adobe_ADMLogs.  Upload the 2 files (Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log) to Document Cloud (How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud ) and post the link to the uploaded file in your reply.

With that said, it appears you're attempting to install Flash Player PPAPI plugin for Chrome.  There is no need to install Flash Player for Chrome, as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and all updates are released by Google.  Google does block Flash by default, forcing users to allow it for each site. When the user exits out of Chrome, the list of previously allowed sites is deleting.  If you're having difficulty allowing Flash in Chrome, see Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply!
Here is the link:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A9cc36add-4f0a-4d78-88e2-8c83...

The main problem is that the window with Install Manager keeps popping up again and again, very often, even if the previous window with installation process is still open. It irritates a little. Here it is again:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the log file doesn't report any errors.  Are you extracting the APP installer file from the mounted DMG image file?

Adobe Flash Player Install Manager keeps popping up and suggesting me to update Flash Player, despite that I have the latest version.

I totally skipped over this sentence.  On Mac, there are 2 types of plugins:  Flash Player NPAPI for Firefox/Safari and PPAPI for Chromium-based browsers.  If you keep getting a notification to install Flash Player, then one of those plugins is outdated.

Please go to System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab.  Post a screenshot of the Updates tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not extracting installer, that's for sure

Here is the screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying and posting the screenshot.  I'll forward this to the online installer team to investigate why you're getting the 'Initialization' error if you're not extracting the installer.

In the interim, please use the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page, in the 'Still having problems' section.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The log file provided wasn't for the Application Initialization error.  Please do the following to obtain a verbose error log file:

1. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside the ~/Library/Logs directory (this is the User's Library directory, not the system, /Library, directory).  The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else. See How to show file extensions on macOS if file name extensions are not displaying.
  2. Run the online installer again to reproduce the 'Application Initialization Error'
  3. Locate the Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files in the ~/Library/Logs/Adobe_ADMLogs directory
  4. Upload the new files to Document Cloud
  5. Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines