Exit

Application Initialization Error installing Flash on a MAC

Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating System - El Capitan (10.11.6)

Web browser - Safari 10.0

Adobeflashplayer_23_a

I download the latest version from the Adobe Website.

I click Install Now.

I click on the downloaded version from my download menu.

The Adobe Flash Player Installer starts.

I double click Install Adobe Flash Player.

I type in my computer's password to enable me to install.

After just a few seconds, the message Adobe Flash Player Application Initialization Error appears.

The only option is Finish.

I tried uninstalling the previous version of Flash, but that has not changed anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Normally, on Mac, the application initialization error is returned when the APP is extracted from the mounted DMG, however, you don't state in your post that this was done.  Can you clarify if you did extract the APP from the mounted DMG?

I'd like to review the online/web installer log files, please upload the 2 log files, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log saved at ~/Library/Logs/Adobe_ADMLogs (this is the User's Library directory, not the system /Library directory) to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

In the interim, the offline installer is posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page in the still having problems section.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Maria,

I have the same issue as Richard.

Operating System - OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Web browser - Chrome 59.0.3071.115 but would love to be able to have Flash on Chrome and FIrefox since I use both.

Program I try to install: AdobeFlashPlayer_26au_a_install.dmg

The Adobe Flash Player Installer starts and I got the 'Application Initialization Error".

In the library logs, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log do not appear.

I am not an expert in computer science so please explain in details what I should do.

Thanks,

Laure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi laurec21065676​,

Did you check for the logs in user's Library directory and not system library? Check at ~/Library/Logs and share the same. For Chrome browser, Flash Player comes embedded with the browser and all updates are pushed by Google as part of Chrome updates. If you want to install Flash Player for Firefox, you can use the offline installer available under 'Still having problems' section on Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I checked the right folder MacintoshHD/Library/Logs and I have no logs from Adobe.

I have a Diagnostic Reports folder and inside Google Chrome_2017-06-29-184442_Laures-MacBook-Pro.wakeups_resource.diag but that's not on the date I tried to install the update for Flash Player (which was July 4th).

Any help is appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Just got it to work. I saw on Installation problems | Flash Player | Mac page that browser has to be closed to install. I tried it and it worked.

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version

Your browser name

Google Chrome (PPAPI)

Your Operating System (OS)

Macintosh (OSX)

Then one more question: what is the difference between AdobeFlashPlayer_26ppau_a_install.dmg and AdobeFlashPlayer_26au_a_install.dmg ? Which I install the ppau version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know that the issue is resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just resurrected an old iMac and installed el capitan...

It seems that you should not only close browsers while loading but any app that might be begging for flash attention, such as a stream recording device...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines