Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

axShockwaveFlash from Jan 2021?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I currently have a VB.NET app that uses an axShockwaveFlash object to display Flash/actionscripted swf content. Will this stop working from Jan 2021? Just wondering as it does not depend on a browser ...

Thanks,

Colm,

Dublin, Ireland.

TOPICS
End of life , SWF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

I imagine it's using the ActiveX Flash Player. That is installed to Windows 10 by Microsoft. I imagine there is every chance that Microsoft will remove it after closing it down in browsers. So you'd need to install it yourself, except Microsoft won't let you do that before it's removed, because it's a system component. After Microsoft remove it, the chances are Adobe will no longer offer it...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it depend on Flash Player? My guess is it does. After browsers close down Flash Player, Flash Player will then move to end of life, and we guess it will no longer be available to anyone (though it may continue to work on systems where it was installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ...

Yes it does depend on Flash Player, but what you say is what I am wondering ... if I have a system where FP is already installed, can I continue to use it via axShockwaveObject, ie no browser involvement, after EOL? Assuming that Microsoft don't simply block FP from working ... (it's a windows system, stating the obvious!! :-))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine it's using the ActiveX Flash Player. That is installed to Windows 10 by Microsoft. I imagine there is every chance that Microsoft will remove it after closing it down in browsers. So you'd need to install it yourself, except Microsoft won't let you do that before it's removed, because it's a system component. After Microsoft remove it, the chances are Adobe will no longer offer it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly you're telling me what I suspect! 🙂

Thanks Test_Screen_Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines